From: robin.mi...@invalid.invalid (Robin Miller)
Newsgroups: alt.sports.football.pro.sd-chargers
Subject: USA Today: Projecting the Chargers' safety depth chart in 2023
Date: Wed, 2 Aug 2023 09:34:35 -0400
Firefox/91.0 SeaMonkey/2.53.16
 by: Robin Miller - Wed, 2 Aug 2023 13:34 UTC

https://chargerswire.usatoday.com/2023/08/01/chargers-roster-depth-chart-derwin-james-alohi-gilman/

Juliette Jones
August 1, 2023 7:23 pm PT

As training camp continues, the Chargers will be making some difficult
but necessary roster decisions moving into the pre-season.

Here is what the safety room could look like heading into August:

Derwin James Jr.

James will continue to be the heartbeat of the Chargers’ defense this
season. Coming off of an impressive year, James solidified himself as
the top safety in the league – a title given to him by fellow players,
analysts, media, and journalists alike. He will play wherever needed and
act as a versatile defensive back, holding the secondary together.

Alohi Gilman

The second starting safety spot is currently Gilman’s. After the
retirement of Nasir Adderley this off-season, he slid into the role and
remains there as JT Woods continues to develop. Gilman pulled off some
impressive plays last season but also had a few dreadful hiccups. With
no other option for the No. 2 role behind James, Gilman will be required
to step up and show out all season long.

JT Woods

After a rough first season in the NFL, Woods continues to learn and grow
behind James and Gilman. The coaching staff still has faith in Woods’
abilities and his physicality as a tackler.

Raheem Layne

Layne served as a depth piece in 2022, having been activated from the
practice squad on several occasions. He was primarily a special teams
ace last season. This season, Layne has the opportunity to solidify a
roster spot but will be competing for this position with Mark Webb and
undrafted free agent AJ Finley. Ultimately, I think Layne wins the job.

Re: USA Today: Projecting the Chargers' safety depth chart in 2023

<kivha9F2jj3U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/sport/article-flat.php?id=3234&group=alt.sports.football.pro.sd-chargers#3234

From: robin.mi...@invalid.invalid (Robin Miller)
Newsgroups: alt.sports.football.pro.sd-chargers
Date: Wed, 2 Aug 2023 13:15:49 -0400
 by: Robin Miller - Wed, 2 Aug 2023 17:15 UTC

Robin Miller wrote:

> https://chargerswire.usatoday.com/2023/08/01/chargers-roster-depth-chart-derwin-james-alohi-gilman/
>

> Juliette Jones
> August 1, 2023 7:23 pm PT
>
> As training camp continues, the Chargers will be making some difficult
> but necessary roster decisions moving into the pre-season.
>
> Here is what the safety room could look like heading into August:
>
> Derwin James Jr.
>
> James will continue to be the heartbeat of the Chargers’ defense this
> season. Coming off of an impressive year, James solidified himself as
> the top safety in the league – a title given to him by fellow players,
> analysts, media, and journalists alike. He will play wherever needed and
> act as a versatile defensive back, holding the secondary together.
>
> Alohi Gilman
>
> The second starting safety spot is currently Gilman’s. After the
> retirement of Nasir Adderley this off-season, he slid into the role and
> remains there as JT Woods continues to develop. Gilman pulled off some
> impressive plays last season but also had a few dreadful hiccups. With
> no other option for the No. 2 role behind James, Gilman will be required
> to step up and show out all season long.
>
> JT Woods
>
> After a rough first season in the NFL, Woods continues to learn and grow
> behind James and Gilman. The coaching staff still has faith in Woods’
> abilities and his physicality as a tackler.
>
> Raheem Layne
>
> Layne served as a depth piece in 2022, having been activated from the
> practice squad on several occasions. He was primarily a special teams
> ace last season. This season, Layne has the opportunity to solidify a
> roster spot but will be competing for this position with Mark Webb and
> undrafted free agent AJ Finley. Ultimately, I think Layne wins the job.

The Chargers have 8 safeties on their 90-man training camp roster:

Derwin James, Alohi Gilman, JT Woods, Raheem Layne, Mark Webb, Michael
Jacquet, Tyler Baker-Williams, AJ Finley

They normally keep nine defensive backs on their 53-man roster. I agree
that these four will make the final roster. Webb has been on the roster
in the past; he should be retained on the practice squad if he's interested.

--Robin

sport / alt.sports.football.pro.sd-chargers / Re: USA Today: Projecting the Chargers' safety depth chart in 2023