From: ala...@yahoo.com (Allen)
Newsgroups: alt.sports.basketball.nba.gs-warriors
Subject: Webeck:_How_Steve_Kerr_is_managing_the_Warriors
’_roster_crunch_with_pending_return_of_Klay_Thompson
Date: Sat, 8 Jan 2022 22:36:33 -0800
 by: Allen - Sun, 9 Jan 2022 06:36 UTC

How Steve Kerr is managing the Warriors’ roster crunch with pending
return of Klay Thompson
A guiding principle of Golden State's coach is to never let a player go
stale: 'That’s just not how Steve operates,' said Draymond Green.
>SAN FRANCISCO, CALIFORNIA – DECEMBER 3: Golden State Warriors head
coach Steve Kerr talks with Gary Payton II during the Phoenix Suns game,
Friday, Dec. 3, 2019, at Chase Center in San Francisco, Calif. (Karl
Mondon/Bay Area News Group)
>SAN FRANCISCO, CALIFORNIA – DECEMBER 3: Golden State Warriors head
coach Steve Kerr talks with Gary Payton II during the Phoenix Suns game,
Friday, Dec. 3, 2019, at Chase Center in San Francisco, Calif. (Karl
Mondon/Bay Area News Group)
By EVAN WEBECK | ewebeck@bayareanewsgroup.com | Bay Area News Group
PUBLISHED: January 5, 2022 at 12:15 p.m. | UPDATED: January 6, 2022 at
4:26 a.m.
https://www.eastbaytimes.com/2022/01/05/how-steve-kerr-is-managing-the-warriors-roster-crunch-with-return-of-klay-thompson/

Steve Kerr gathered the Warriors before a recent game with a message:
Things are about to change.

With Klay Thompson’s return on the horizon, already scarce minutes will
be even harder to come by. He offered the players a pair of reminders —
1. Team success comes with individual sacrifices, and 2. Stay ready.

That’s the coach’s problem, one of riches, and one for which Kerr has a
built-in solution via his own guiding principles, picked up from Phil
Jackson, the legendary coach whom Kerr played for in Chicago. Never let
a player go stale, and instill the belief that his time can come at any
moment.

“I know I probably created some angst among our fans over the year by
putting random guys in at crunch time,” Kerr said. “But I totally
believe this.”

With reports that Thompson could make his return Sunday, the roster
crunch is about to get real. Jordan Poole will slide into a reserve
role, leaving a ripple effect on the rest of the rotation. Despite that,
players aren’t concerned, thanks to their buy-in to Kerr’s long-held
philosophy.

“One thing about Steve Kerr is he’s not leaving anyone planted on the
bench. That’s not how he coaches. He’s never coached that way, and I
don’t expect him to start now,” said Draymond Green, who as a leader
will be entrusted with keeping the pulse of the locker room. “There may
be a three-game stretch where you don’t play, but it won’t be a
seven-game stretch. … That’s just not how Steve operates.”

Eleven players deep, not one has gone more than two consecutive games
without playing (Damion Lee; Nov. 10-12). Four games is the longest
stretch anyone has gone without seeing at least 10 minutes (Juan
Toscano-Anderson; Nov. 10-16). Even while undermanned with players in
COVID-19 protocols, the Warriors got contributions from at least 10
players in each of their past six games.

The Warriors’ success — off to a 28-7 start, the best in the NBA — only
bolsters the belief in the system from players. It should also help
quell concerns about playing time. After all, minutes don’t matter when
they’re engraving championship rings.

KLAY’S RETURN: We’re looking for Thompson’s biggest fans for a story
ahead of his return

The roster depth allows Kerr and his staff to scheme for particular
opponents. When they need defense, it’s Gary Payton II and
Toscano-Anderson. If size and floor spacing are the demand, then Otto
Porter Jr. and Nemanja Bjelica get the call.

There are only 240 minutes available in any given game. If it feels
random at times, well, Kerr said, sometimes it is.

“You just randomly sometimes throw a guy onto the floor before he can
languish,” Kerr said. “It’s important not only for the players but for
the team. What I learned from Phil is that when you do that, it keeps
everybody engaged. But it also means guys are ready when their time does
come.”

Sometimes, the philosophy unearths hidden gems, such as Payton, who has
added a 3-point shot to his renowned defensive abilities to become a
critical contributor. As a fill-in starter the past five games, he
averaged 14.6 points in 30 minutes, a role he earned despite starting
the season as the last man on the bench.

With Thompson back in the fold, Payton is one player set to see a
reduction in minutes.

“Some guys’ minutes might go down – they’re going to go down – but just
come out and be supportive and when your number’s called, be ready,”
Payton said. “Coach has done a hell of a job putting guys in the right
position against certain personnel and matchups. Everybody trusts the
coaching staff and knows what they’re doing, and everybody stays ready.”

>RELATED ARTICLES
Where Klay Thompson’s comeback ranks in Golden State Warriors history
Wait is over: Klay will play Sunday for Warriors
What’s been going on in the world since Klay Thompson’s last game
with Warriors
Kurtenbach: Klay Thompson is back. That means the juggernaut Warriors
are, too
How a step back has helped Andrew Wiggins make a big leap with Warriors

The Warriors’ bench is made up of guys like Payton: who clawed for their
chance from the depths of the G League, like Lee and Toscano-Anderson,
or who have used Kerr’s faith in them to revive their careers, like
Porter and Bjelica. Rising rookie Jonathan Kuminga is making his own
case to remain in the rotation.

Losing out on even a single minute should light a fire under anyone in
the NBA, Green said. It’s his job — and Kerr’s — to harness that.

“There should be some guys who are upset – not upset because you’re a
better player than Klay Thompson but you put the work in and you want to
play,” Green said. “As a leader, you appreciate that. I don’t want a guy
on the team that’s just OK with sitting on the bench. … True
professionals in this locker room. I don’t think that’ll be an issue.
But you’re going to have some upset guys, and you want that.”

--
Evan Webeck | Reporter
Evan Webeck covers high-school sports on the field and beyond — and a