From: robin.mi...@invalid.invalid (Robin Miller)
Newsgroups: alt.sports.basketball.nba.gs-warriors
Subject: Should Steph be dialing it back some?
Date: Mon, 24 Jan 2022 00:33:15 -0500
Firefox/68.0 SeaMonkey/2.53.10.2
 by: Robin Miller - Mon, 24 Jan 2022 05:33 UTC

I'm thinking of the 30+ foot shot he launched with less than a minute to
go tonight against Utah. He was 1-12 at the time, missed badly, and
ended up 1-13.

--Robin

Re: Should Steph be dialing it back some?

<ssmvd0$ifs$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/sport/article-flat.php?id=3338&group=alt.sports.basketball.nba.gs-warriors#3338

From: farberbe...@aol.com (David Farber)
Newsgroups: alt.sports.basketball.nba.gs-warriors
Subject: Re: Should Steph be dialing it back some?
Date: Mon, 24 Jan 2022 11:41:27 -0800
 by: David Farber - Mon, 24 Jan 2022 19:41 UTC

On 1/23/2022 9:33 PM, Robin Miller wrote:

> I'm thinking of the 30+ foot shot he launched with less than a minute to
> go tonight against Utah. He was 1-12 at the time, missed badly, and
> ended up 1-13.
>
> --Robin
Good question. I've wondered about that many times too but how many
times do you see a player take a shot and go, "Oh Noooooo!" then the
shot swishes through and you yell,"Great shot!!!"

There's just a load of stats we can throw out right now that are not
very flattering. On last night's TV broadcast, Fitz said something like
Wiggins was shooting 34% from the free throw line in his last ten games.
The games before were about turnovers. I think we get so used to seeing
highlight reels from the past 6 years that we get annoyed when the
Warriors look below average. Let's see how they look next month when
Klay has had more time to adjust and hopefully Draymond will be back
directing the offense and defense.

Getting back to your dialing back question, the Warriors were up 5 on
the Jazz and there were 42 seconds left in the game when he took that
30+ foot shot. If he makes it, then it is game over right there. I
listen to many of Steph's post game comments on youtube and my take is
that he lives in the moment when shooting the ball. In other words, it
doesn't matter to him how many misses he's had previously. He believes
the next shot is going in. I do wonder though what percentage of 3-point
shots he makes in practice. Do you think it mirrors his in-game percentage?

Let me ask you: If Steph was 6-10 on 3's when he took that 30+ shot,
would that change your opinion on whether or not he should have
attempted the shot?

Finally, here's a Steph snippet from his postgame interview after the
Rockets game explaining how he sees his shooting numbers. There's a
funny moment afterward when a reporter asks him a follow up question
about his game winning shot.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zYhh1uNQ7RM?t=503

--
David Farber
Los Osos, CA

Re: Should Steph be dialing it back some?

<j59acmF7n27U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/sport/article-flat.php?id=3339&group=alt.sports.basketball.nba.gs-warriors#3339

From: robin.mi...@invalid.invalid (Robin Miller)
Newsgroups: alt.sports.basketball.nba.gs-warriors
Date: Mon, 24 Jan 2022 22:50:43 -0500
 by: Robin Miller - Tue, 25 Jan 2022 03:50 UTC

David Farber wrote:
> On 1/23/2022 9:33 PM, Robin Miller wrote:
>>
>> I'm thinking of the 30+ foot shot he launched with less than a minute
>> to go tonight against Utah. He was 1-12 at the time, missed badly, and
>> ended up 1-13.
>>
>> --Robin
> Good question. I've wondered about that many times too but how many
> times do you see a player take a shot and go, "Oh Noooooo!" then the
> shot swishes through and you yell,"Great shot!!!"
>
> There's just a load of stats we can throw out right now that are not
> very flattering. On last night's TV broadcast, Fitz said something like
> Wiggins was shooting 34% from the free throw line in his last ten games.
> The games before were about turnovers. I think we get so used to seeing
> highlight reels from the past 6 years that we get annoyed when the
> Warriors look below average. Let's see how they look next month when
> Klay has had more time to adjust and hopefully Draymond will be back
> directing the offense and defense.
>
> Getting back to your dialing back question, the Warriors were up 5 on
> the Jazz and there were 42 seconds left in the game when he took that
> 30+ foot shot. If he makes it, then it is game over right there. I
> listen to many of Steph's post game comments on youtube and my take is
> that he lives in the moment when shooting the ball. In other words, it
> doesn't matter to him how many misses he's had previously. He believes
> the next shot is going in. I do wonder though what percentage of 3-point
> shots he makes in practice. Do you think it mirrors his in-game percentage?
>
> Let me ask you: If Steph was 6-10 on 3's when he took that 30+ shot,
> would that change your opinion on whether or not he should have
> attempted the shot?

Oh, absolutely. During "normal" times, I have no problem with that shot,
which Steph has taken quite a few times in his career. And I know Steph
(and Klay and probably all top shooters) live in the moment. That said,
Steph has been off for about two months, and there was nothing about his
shooting earlier in the game suggesting that had changed. Under those
circumstances, was it rational for him to think that was a good shot? I
don't think so.

--Robin

Re: Should Steph be dialing it back some?

<ssppqm$unm$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/sport/article-flat.php?id=3348&group=alt.sports.basketball.nba.gs-warriors#3348

From: farberbe...@aol.com (David Farber)
Newsgroups: alt.sports.basketball.nba.gs-warriors
Date: Tue, 25 Jan 2022 13:24:46 -0800
 by: David Farber - Tue, 25 Jan 2022 21:24 UTC

On 1/24/2022 7:50 PM, Robin Miller wrote:
> David Farber wrote:
>> On 1/23/2022 9:33 PM, Robin Miller wrote:
>>>
>>> I'm thinking of the 30+ foot shot he launched with less than a minute
>>> to go tonight against Utah. He was 1-12 at the time, missed badly,
>>> and ended up 1-13.
>>>
>>> --Robin
>> Good question. I've wondered about that many times too but how many
>> times do you see a player take a shot and go, "Oh Noooooo!" then the
>> shot swishes through and you yell,"Great shot!!!"
>>
>> There's just a load of stats we can throw out right now that are not
>> very flattering. On last night's TV broadcast, Fitz said something
>> like Wiggins was shooting 34% from the free throw line in his last ten
>> games. The games before were about turnovers. I think we get so used
>> to seeing highlight reels from the past 6 years that we get annoyed
>> when the Warriors look below average. Let's see how they look next
>> month when Klay has had more time to adjust and hopefully Draymond
>> will be back directing the offense and defense.
>>
>> Getting back to your dialing back question, the Warriors were up 5 on
>> the Jazz and there were 42 seconds left in the game when he took that
>> 30+ foot shot. If he makes it, then it is game over right there. I
>> listen to many of Steph's post game comments on youtube and my take is
>> that he lives in the moment when shooting the ball. In other words, it
>> doesn't matter to him how many misses he's had previously. He believes
>> the next shot is going in. I do wonder though what percentage of
>> 3-point shots he makes in practice. Do you think it mirrors his
>> in-game percentage?
>>
>> Let me ask you: If Steph was 6-10 on 3's when he took that 30+ shot,
>> would that change your opinion on whether or not he should have
>> attempted the shot?
>>

> Oh, absolutely. During "normal" times, I have no problem with that shot,
> which Steph has taken quite a few times in his career. And I know Steph
> (and Klay and probably all top shooters) live in the moment. That said,
> Steph has been off for about two months, and there was nothing about his
> shooting earlier in the game suggesting that had changed. Under those
> circumstances, was it rational for him to think that was a good shot? I
> don't think so.
>
> --Robin

Hi Robin,

There was a very similar response in the comment section of this SFC
article:
https://www.sfchronicle.com/sports/warriors/article/Steph-Curry-on-his-deepening-slump-I-ve-got-16798838.php

"IMO, Curry got too caught up , not only in a meaningless record, but in
the notion that "Any shot Steph takes is a good shot." Lots of them are
not. I would like to see percentages on those shots where he takes a few
steps across half court and heaves it up. I'll bet they are pretty low.
And they are not "wide open threes", as The Blowhard likes to call them.
Not only that, some of his teammates (Bjelica, Poole) seem to think they
are good shots, too. Along with horrible passing and barely tolerable
defense, Steph needs to take a good look at his game and dial a few
things back."

When Coach Kerr is asked about Curry's slump, he seems to shrug it off
and say it's just part of a long season. Now if Curry is hurt and it's
being kept hidden from the public, that would certainly annoy the fans.

In other news, I see that Klay is having some setbacks with his repaired
knee and that he may miss tonight's game. Now that IS very concerning.

Just my two cents.
--
David Farber
Los Osos, CA

Re: Should Steph be dialing it back some?

<j5b9vhFjg5kU2@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/sport/article-flat.php?id=3349&group=alt.sports.basketball.nba.gs-warriors#3349

From: robin.mi...@invalid.invalid (Robin Miller)
Newsgroups: alt.sports.basketball.nba.gs-warriors
Date: Tue, 25 Jan 2022 16:55:58 -0500
 by: Robin Miller - Tue, 25 Jan 2022 21:55 UTC

David Farber wrote:
> [...]
> not. I would like to see percentages on those shots where he takes a few
> steps across half court and heaves it up. I'll bet they are pretty low.
> And they are not "wide open threes", as The Blowhard likes to call them.
> Not only that, some of his teammates (Bjelica, Poole) seem to think they
> are good shots, too. Along with horrible passing and barely tolerable
> defense, Steph needs to take a good look at his game and dial a few
> things back."
>
> When Coach Kerr is asked about Curry's slump, he seems to shrug it off
> and say it's just part of a long season. Now if Curry is hurt and it's
> being kept hidden from the public, that would certainly annoy the fans.
>
> In other news, I see that Klay is having some setbacks with his repaired
> knee and that he may miss tonight's game. Now that IS very concerning.

They're calling Klay's situation a "tweak." Hopefully it's as minimal as
they appear to be saying.

--Robin