From: ala...@yahoo.com (Allen)
Newsgroups: alt.sports.basketball.nba.gs-warriors
Subject: Kurtenbach:_There’s_no_need_to_worry_about_the_
Warriors
Date: Sun, 6 Feb 2022 01:01:07 -0800
 by: Allen - Sun, 6 Feb 2022 09:01 UTC

Kurtenbach: There’s no need to worry about the Warriors
Golden State Warriors: Amid Steph Curry's slump and a million other
issues, the Warriors remain one of the NBA's few, true title contenders.
>SAN FRANCISCO, CALIFORNIA – JANUARY 27: Golden State Warriors’ Klay
Thompson (11) salutes the fans during their game against the Minnesota
Timberwolves before the start of the second quarter at the Chase Center
in San Francisco, Calif., on Thursday, Jan. 27, 2022. (Nhat V. Meyer/Bay
Area News Group)
>SAN FRANCISCO, CALIFORNIA – JANUARY 27: Golden State Warriors’ Klay
Thompson (11) salutes the fans during their game against the Minnesota
Timberwolves before the start of the second quarter at the Chase Center
in San Francisco, Calif., on Thursday, Jan. 27, 2022. (Nhat V. Meyer/Bay
Area News Group)
By DIETER KURTENBACH | dkurtenbach@bayareanewsgroup.com | Bay Area News
Group
PUBLISHED: February 2, 2022 at 2:37 p.m. | UPDATED: February 3, 2022 at
2:38 a.m.
https://www.eastbaytimes.com/2022/02/02/kurtenbach-theres-no-need-to-worry-about-the-warriors/

The last month has been terribly tumultuous for the Golden State Warriors.

Klay Thompson’s return and Draymond Green’s injury coincided on Jan. 9.
Steph Curry’s shooting slump never seemed to break. Andrew Wiggins
stopped playing like an All-Star, then was named an All-Star starter,
and is playing like an All-Star once again.

The Warriors were smoked by two of the best teams in the league, but
then they bounced back and blew out other top squads.

There was a stretch where they lost six of nine, only to rattle off a
seven-game win streak that continues into Thursday’s game against the Kings.

It was chaos.

It’s been tough to get a read on these Dubs, who have questionably
fallen off from the world-beating form they showed at the beginning of
the season.

But despite all the tumult of the last month — both good and bad — and
pending questions, the Warriors are still one of the NBA’s best teams.

There’s simply no need to worry about them.

The Warriors were in first place in the Western Conference for the
majority of the 2021 portion of this season’s schedule. On Jan. 6, they
fell to second place behind the Suns. The Dubs didn’t seem too concerned
about it — this veteran team isn’t worried about home-court advantage.

Outside of two days where they tied Phoenix for the best record in the
NBA, the Warriors have remained in second place.

Think about everything that has happened for the last 22 days with the
Warriors — for every game that Jonathan Kuminga had to lead the team in
scoring, every missed Curry 3-pointer, every moment when Green was
desperately missed — it simply didn’t matter.

The final 30 games of this season will be about preparing for the playoffs.

And while the Warriors can’t fully embrace that responsibility until
Green returns to the fold, they’re doing just fine without him.

After all, the Western Conference is a joke, though.

Outside of the Suns, Warriors, and the Memphis Grizzlies, what team is
worthy of respect in this conference?

Forgive me if I don’t divvy any out to Utah, Dallas, or Denver, the
final three teams in the true playoffs. I just can’t see them actually
competing for a title.

And nearly two-thirds of the way through the season, am I truly supposed
to respect Minnesota or either LA team?

The Lakers are a sub-.500 team. Am I supposed to believe that’s an
accident and that regression to the mean is inevitable?

No. They’ll probably get worse.

>RELATED ARTICLES
Warriors’ James Wiseman participates in first team practice
Will the Warriors make a move at the trade deadline? Officials,
players share their thoughts
Kurtenbach: The Warriors won’t do anything at the trade deadline
Klay Thompson gets red hot from three in Warriors win over Kings
Warriors GM Bob Myers shares update on Wiseman, goals for trade deadline

Here’s how bad and uncompetitive the Western Conference is right now:
The Blazers are doing everything in their power to lose games. They
can’t play a lick of defense, they have benched Damian Lillard for the
rest of the season, they’re playing a guy named Keljin Blevins, a
26-year-old, 6-foot-4 forward from Montana State.

The Blazers have lost five of their last six games, sit at 21-30 as of
Wednesday morning, and they’re still holding on to a play-in tournament
spot.

Perhaps the parity of the Eastern Conference — three games separate the
No. 1 and No. 6 seed — will make the NBA’s product viable up until the
playoffs. But in the West, it’s clear that there are three teams worthy
of your attention and only two of those squads will actually compete for
a title.

The Warriors are one of them. No amount of chaos this past month could
make that untrue, so expect this truth to prevail until the spring.