From: ala...@yahoo.com (Allen)
Newsgroups: alt.sports.basketball.nba.gs-warriors
Subject: BANG:_Left_off_Rising_Stars_roster,_Warriors’
_rookie_Jonathan_Kuminga_is_forging_his_own_path
Date: Sun, 6 Feb 2022 15:09:42 -0800
 by: Allen - Sun, 6 Feb 2022 23:09 UTC

Left off Rising Stars roster, Warriors’ rookie Jonathan Kuminga is
forging his own path
Golden State Warriors' Jonathan Kuminga is learning how to learn from
Draymond Green, Kerr and veterans
>SAN FRANCISCO, CA – JANUARY 18: Golden State Warriors head coach
Steve Kerr talks with Golden State Warriors’ Jonathan Kuminga (00) in
the fourth quarter of their NBA game against the Detroit Pistons at
Chase Center in San Francisco, Calif., on Tuesday, Jan. 18, 2022. (Ray
Chavez/Bay Area News Group)
>SAN FRANCISCO, CA – JANUARY 18: Golden State Warriors head coach Steve
Kerr talks with Golden State Warriors’ Jonathan Kuminga (00) in the
fourth quarter of their NBA game against the Detroit Pistons at Chase
Center in San Francisco, Calif., on Tuesday, Jan. 18, 2022. (Ray
Chavez/Bay Area News Group)
By SHAYNA RUBIN | srubin@bayareanewsgroup.com | Bay Area News Group
PUBLISHED: February 6, 2022 at 7:15 a.m. | UPDATED: February 6, 2022 at
7:15 a.m.
https://www.eastbaytimes.com/2022/02/06/left-off-rising-stars-roster-warriors-rookie-jonathan-kuminga-is-forging-his-own-path/

SAN FRANCISCO — A list of twenty-eight rookies, G League prospects and
second-year players were chosen for the Rising Stars Challenge at NBA
All-Star weekend in Cleveland. Despite boasting three lottery pick
players, the Warriors had no one on that list of 28.

James Wiseman, the 2020 second overall pick, hasn’t played a game this
year as he recovers from meniscus surgery. Moses Moody, the 14th pick in
the 2021 draft, has played limited minutes between stints with the G
League team.

But Jonathan Kuminga, the 2021 seventh overall pick, might be considered
a snub. He’s a highlight reel star, pairing freakish athletic drives to
the rim with devastating reverse and windmill dunks in transition with
ease. He doesn’t have tunnel vision, either, as he shows flashes as a
smart passer.

In full context, though, the Warriors believe Kuminga’s star will be
slower to rise.

“Every rookie has to run their own race. These guys are running their
own race,” Warriors GM Bob Myers said. “I think for Jonathan, seeing
some of his contemporaries get a lot more latitude is probably hard, and
that’s OK.”

Last month, Kuminga earned a promotion as a regular starter in Draymond
Green’s absence, but head coach Steve Kerr tugged quick on his short
leash after a few defensive mishaps. Without space to make mistakes on
this contending team, Kuminga’s potential doesn’t reach the national
spotlight like some of his draft classmates.

Some of Kuminga’s fellow high draft picks play for teams with plenty of
tolerance for growing pains. Cleveland’s Evan Mobley, picked third
overall, is a first team rising star that has helped take the
bottom-feeding team to playoff contention. Orlando’s Franz Wagner, taken
one pick after Kuminga, has become a revelation with plenty of playing
time on the struggling Magic.

Squeezed out of big minutes, Kuminga is finding his own moments to shine.

“I have to stay ready every single day,” Kuminga said of his role. “It
doesn’t matter if the day isn’t going well, you never know the one thing
that’s going to one thing that’s going to help the team win and bring
the team’s energy up.”

But the Warriors own the second best record in the West, and with Finals
aspirations well within reach, they can’t afford too many mistakes. The
19-year-old is still learning to keep up with NBA expectations. He loses
himself on defense at times and makes some head-scratching fouls. Behind
the scenes, Kuminga has been late to practice and gotten a talking to
from veterans about his work ethic, Green said and Kuminga acknowledged.

To understand Kuminga’s growth is to know the difference between being a
hard worker and learning to work hard.

“I’ve seen Kuminga’s work ethic improve,” Green said. “Not that he
wasn’t a hard worker, because I haven’t been around long enough to say
whether he was a hard worker or not. But what I’ve seen is him learning
how to work. As he’s learning how to work, his game is getting better.
His understanding is getting better.”

Added Kuminga: “I heard people talking about being late and, as a
person, I have to correct it.”

Kuminga hasn’t had the guidance and hands-on coaching some of his
draft-mates, including Arkansas alum Moody, had. The Congolese rookie
moved to West Virginia, then New York to play high school basketball,
then skipped college ball to play professionally for the G League Ignite
at age 18. A year later, he was thrust into a championship run.

“One probably has someone teaching him what it’s like to work hard and
be a professional since he was 10 years old,” Green said, referring to
Moody. “The other one (Kuminga) was extremely gifted, someone realized
it, threw him out on the basketball court with his gifts and that was
that. Not much guidance. He now has that guidance and what he’s showed
is he believes in accepting that guidance and that he is willing to
change who he’s been his entire life.

“It’s not that he doesn’t listen. It’s a lack of things to listen to.
And now he’s getting that and rapidly improving.”

Catch Kuminga talking with coaches and veteran teammates between the
action. During game stoppages, he’ll connect with coaches to keep his
focus high throughout a game. For the coaches, Kuminga’s growth is about
reveling in the highs while managing his confidence during the lows. He
can get down on himself when he’s not playing to his standard.

>RELATED ARTICLES
Warriors’ James Wiseman participates in first team practice
Will the Warriors make a move at the trade deadline? Officials,
players share their thoughts
Kurtenbach: The Warriors won’t do anything at the trade deadline
Klay Thompson gets red hot from three in Warriors win over Kings
Warriors GM Bob Myers shares update on Wiseman, goals for trade deadline

“That’s his biggest challenge, is dealing with the ups and downs — and
he’s had plenty of both,” Kerr said. “He’s so raw and talented that sky
is the limit. But because of his lack of experience, he’s going to make
mistakes. We just try to tell him it’s fine to make mistakes. It’s
expected. No one can possibly come into the league at this stage and
pick up everything.”

--
Shayna Rubin | Oakland Athletics reporter