From: ala...@yahoo.com (Allen)
Newsgroups: alt.sports.basketball.nba.gs-warriors
Subject: BANG:_Warriors’_deep_culture_kept_them_safe_fro
m_Harden-level_deadline_chaos
Date: Thu, 10 Feb 2022 15:36:51 -0800
 by: Allen - Thu, 10 Feb 2022 23:36 UTC

Warriors’ deep culture kept them safe from Harden-level deadline chaos
A trade involving James Harden and Ben Simmons served as a reminder of
how well Andrew Wiggins has fit in with the Golden State Warriors
>SAN FRANCISCO, CALIFORNIA – DECEMBER 6: Golden State Warriors’ Andrew
Wiggins (22) celebrates his 3-point basket with Golden State Warriors’
Jordan Poole (3) against the Orlando Magic in the third quarter at the
Chase Center in San Francisco, Calif., on Monday, Dec. 6, 2021. (Nhat V.
Meyer/Bay Area News Group)
>SAN FRANCISCO, CALIFORNIA – DECEMBER 6: Golden State Warriors’ Andrew
Wiggins (22) celebrates his 3-point basket with Golden State Warriors’
Jordan Poole (3) against the Orlando Magic in the third quarter at the
Chase Center in San Francisco, Calif., on Monday, Dec. 6, 2021. (Nhat V.
Meyer/Bay Area News Group)
By KERRY CROWLEY | kcrowley@bayareanewsgroup.com | Bay Area News Group
PUBLISHED: February 10, 2022 at 12:35 p.m. | UPDATED: February 10, 2022
at 12:50 p.m.
https://www.eastbaytimes.com/2022/02/10/warriors-deep-culture-kept-them-safe-from-harden-level-deadline-chaos/

James Harden wanted out of Brooklyn.

Ben Simmons refused to play for Philadelphia.

Russell Westbrook appears miserable in Los Angeles, but the Lakers
couldn’t find a new destination for the star point guard before the
NBA’s trade deadline passed on Thursday.

As for the Warriors, the No. 2 team in the Western Conference, the
stability that became a hallmark during their dynasty era is back.

Golden State general manager Bob Myers and head coach Steve Kerr hinted
at the possibility of a minor transaction in recent days, but after the
Warriors arrived at Thursday’s trade deadline with a 41-14 record, a
blockbuster was out of the question. As the rest of the league scrambled
to move aggrieved stars or tinker with their starting lineup ahead of a
playoff push, the Warriors watched the chaos from afar.

Even a small move involving the Warriors never came to fruition.

Simmons hasn’t suited up all season, but following Thursday’s deal
between the Nets and 76ers, he’ll head to Brooklyn alongside guard Seth
Curry and center Andre Drummond as well as two first-round draft picks
in exchange for Harden and forward Paul Millsap.

The trade enabled two franchises with title aspirations to discard
frustrated guards with the hope that each team can find a better rhythm
with a new mix of players. It’s the type of deal Golden State hasn’t
needed to consider with regularity through the years in large part
because its big three –Stephen Curry, Klay Thompson and Draymond Green–
have enjoyed so much success together.

That success has keyed remarkable continuity, which is only highlighted
when you consider Harden –a nine-time All-Star– is about to wear his
third different uniform in the last two seasons.

Standing on the sidelines during the trade deadline isn’t always a
luxury the Warriors have been afforded. It was only two years ago when
Golden State acquired forward Andrew Wiggins and two draft picks from
the Timberwolves in a deal centered around guard D’Angelo Russell.

Russell clearly wasn’t a great fit in Golden State, but acquiring
Wiggins –a former Rookie of the Year who had yet to live up to his
sky-high potential– was also a risk for the Warriors. Two years later,
Wiggins was recently named to his first All-Star team and a vaccine
controversy that threatened to add a dose of drama to the Warriors’
season has mostly faded from memory.

Under different circumstances and perhaps inside a different
organization, Wiggins could have turned a locker room against him. The
Warriors’ culture, as strong as any in the league, prevented any
long-term problems.

A team with three stars who have spent the last decade thriving
alongside each other isn’t easily rattled. In fact, despite extended
injury absences for Thompson and Green, the Warriors have overcome
initial concerns about their ability to contend and proven to be a force
in the Western Conference.

Curry, Thompson, Green and Wiggins have yet to play a full game
together, but Golden State’s championship aspirations are as legitimate
as any those belonging to any of the elite teams in the NBA.

As the Nets send Harden packing and the 76ers wave goodbye to Simmons,
it’s obvious that Curry’s impact on the Warriors goes well beyond the
MVP-caliber play and prolific shooting he’s brought to the franchise for
most of his career. He’s as much of a tone-setter off the court as he is
on it, which is perhaps why players such as Wiggins are able to become
the best versions of themselves in Golden State.

Curry has carried the Warriors on his own, shared the spotlight in the
backcourt with Thompson and even took a backseat at times to Kevin
Durant when one of the most natural scorers in NBA history arrived in
Golden State. His versatility and team-first mentality have drawn praise
since he first emerged as a generational talent, but it’s particularly
noteworthy on days such as the trade deadline when the Warriors offer a
sense of calm amid the rest of the league’s storm.

A trade involving Harden and Simmons wasn’t much of a surprise,
considering both did little to hide their desire to find a new home
elsewhere. NBA stars move from team-to-team with such regularity that
stability isn’t a value many franchises can count on.

It’s different with the Warriors, who benefit from consistency and
commitment that offers an antidote to trade deadline chaos.

--
Kerry Crowley | San Francisco Giants reporter
Kerry Crowley is a multimedia beat reporter who has covered the San