From: ala...@yahoo.com (Allen)
Newsgroups: alt.sports.basketball.nba.gs-warriors
Subject: BANG: What to watch for in the Lakers, Warriors game: Is this the
start of a rivalry?
Date: Tue, 15 Feb 2022 15:01:32 -0800
 by: Allen - Tue, 15 Feb 2022 23:01 UTC

What to watch for in the Lakers, Warriors game: Is this the start of a
rivalry?
Golden State Warriors vs. Los Angeles Lakers game preview: How LeBron
James, Anthony Davis match up with Steph Curry, Klay Thompson
>Golden State Warriors forward Andrew Wiggins, right, grabs the ball
while defended by Los Angeles Lakers forward Anthony Davis during the
first half of a preseason NBA basketball game in Los Angeles, Tuesday,
Oct. 12, 2021. (AP Photo/Ringo H.W. Chiu)
>Golden State Warriors forward Andrew Wiggins, right, grabs the ball
while defended by Los Angeles Lakers forward Anthony Davis during the
first half of a preseason NBA basketball game in Los Angeles, Tuesday,
Oct. 12, 2021. (AP Photo/Ringo H.W. Chiu)
By SHAYNA RUBIN | srubin@bayareanewsgroup.com | Bay Area News Group
PUBLISHED: February 12, 2022 at 7:15 a.m. | UPDATED: February 12, 2022
at 8:22 a.m.
https://www.eastbaytimes.com/2022/02/12/what-to-watch-for-in-the-lakers-warriors-game-is-this-the-start-of-a-rivalry/

The Warriors and Lakers last met on opening night with vastly different
expectations for the season.

While Golden State was seen as a fringe contender looking to regroup
after Klay Thompson’s anticipated return, the Lakers were expected to
glide into championship contention. Four months later, those roles have
reversed as the rival teams will meet again for the first time since
that October day.

The Warriors have since exceeded preseason expectations, compiling a
41-15 record that has them in second place in the Western Conference. A
Lakers team led by LeBron James, flanked by superstars Anthony Davis and
Russell Westbrook, has flopped miserably into mediocrity, falling short
of preseason expectations with a 26-30 record.

“When you have LeBron James and Anthony Davis, you can say those
things,” Thompson said of the Lakers’ title expectations. “I guess I
understand why the pundits didn’t really consider us in that group. But
I think we have more than enough to win the West this year. That’s the
ultimate goal… other than the other ultimate goal, the big one.”

The teams face off on Saturday night at 5:30 p.m. PT on ABC, a
nationally broadcast game. Here are some things to look out for.

o The start of a rivalry?

A true Warriors-Lakers rivalry would be a dream for the NBA. The
Southern California, Northern California rivalry resonates in other
sports — MLB’s Dodgers, Giants rivalry dates back to the two teams
butting heads across New York City boroughs — but rarely have both teams
been NBA powers at the same time.

The Lakers own the all time head-to-head record, 257-170, including a
5-1 record over the last two seasons while the Warriors struggled with
injuries and the post-Kevin Durant tumble. The Lakers acquired Anthony
Davis and won the “bubble” title in 2020 and lost in the first round to
the Suns in 2021.

The Warriors dominated the Lakers during the meat of the Steph Curry
era, going 19-5 against them since the 2013-14 season.

Can things even out to make this a true rivalry? The Lakers haven’t
shown they can hold up their end, let alone meet high preseason
expectations, falling to fourth in the Pacific Division with a .464
winning percentage. They are 2-7 in the division with plenty of drama
surrounding their team chemistry and Westbrook’s fit moving forward.

Golden State beat the Lakers 121-114 in the season opener and started
the season 12-1. They are 8-1 in division play and second in the West
behind the scorching Phoenix Suns.

The Lakers are in desperate need of a spark. The Warriors just need to
ride through bumps without Draymond Green. With those stakes, perhaps
Saturday’s game is where the rivalry heats up.

>RELATED ARTICLES
Warriors’ defense has gone from first to (not quite) worst with Green
sidelined
Warriors: Wiseman takes another step in return, cleared for 5-on-5
scrimmages
Jannelle Moore on the Warriors: Curry heats up but Lue’s Clippers
cool him off in second half
Curry flurries but Warriors’ defense can’t stop Clippers
Do the Warriors have a realistic shot at the No. 1 seed — and does it
matter?

o Notable factors

–The Lakers won their 2020 title because of their impenetrable perimeter
defense. Without Alex Caruso and Kentavious Caldwell-Pope, that
perimeter defense has become porous, often leaving center Davis to pick
up the pieces. The Warriors don’t have much size to beat Davis at the
rim, but they have enough offensive firepower to work around him.

–The Warriors are losing the rebound battle and feeling the
repercussions, out-rebounded 153-113 over their last three games against
the Knicks, Jazz and Thunder with a 1-2 record over that span to show
for it. The Warriors need Green for his strength and IQ defensively
(offensively, too), but are at a clear size disadvantage until he
returns from his back injury.

Kevon Looney has taken the load, averaging more than 10 rebounds a game
since Green was sidelined. But when Looney needs a rest, the Warriors
just have oft-injured Otto Porter Jr. and Nemanja Bjelica as well as a
raw Jonathan Kuminga to lean on for size. Against James and Davis, this
disadvantage could be exacerbated.

–There is a chance Westbrook won’t play Saturday as he deals with back
tightness. But he moved well in practice on Friday, according to
reports. Westbrook is shooting 43.5% (381/876) overall and 29.8%
(57/191) from three in 55 games this season.

>RELATED ARTICLES
Warriors’ defense has gone from first to (not quite) worst with Green
sidelined
Warriors: Wiseman takes another step in return, cleared for 5-on-5
scrimmages
Jannelle Moore on the Warriors: Curry heats up but Lue’s Clippers
cool him off in second half
Curry flurries but Warriors’ defense can’t stop Clippers
Do the Warriors have a realistic shot at the No. 1 seed — and does it
matter?

–Thompson missed the potential game-tying shot on Thursday and will be
looking for redemption against his childhood team on Saturday. His dad,
Mychal, played for the Lakers from 1987 to 1991 and is now the team’s
radio color commentator. Thompson has said the late Kobe Bryant is his
basketball inspiration and the Lakers his favorite team growing up.

“Some of my best memories in life are going with my dad, when I was in
high school, sitting with him in the booth, watching him call the games
and watching Kobe play,” he said. “It’s always awesome playing the
hometown team.”

--
Shayna Rubin | Oakland Athletics reporter