The one sure way to make a lazy man look respectable is to put a fishing rod in his hand.

sport / alt.sports.baseball.sf-giants / Re: Luciano still recovering from back injury as spring training begins

SubjectAuthor
* Luciano still recovering from back injury as spring training beginsJohnW
`* Re: Luciano still recovering from back injury as spring trainingpoldy
 `* Re: Luciano still recovering from back injury as spring training beginsJohnW
  `* Re: Luciano still recovering from back injury as spring trainingpoldy
   `* Re: Luciano still recovering from back injury as spring training beginsJohnW
    `* Re: Luciano still recovering from back injury as spring trainingpoldy
     `- Re: Luciano still recovering from back injury as spring training beginsJohnW

1
Luciano still recovering from back injury as spring training begins

<ae7275f3-5ee9-4644-89ad-43820f0102e0n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/sport/article-flat.php?id=334&group=alt.sports.baseball.sf-giants#334

Newsgroups: alt.sports.baseball.sf-giants
Date: Fri, 17 Feb 2023 05:19:45 -0800 (PST)
Subject: Luciano still recovering from back injury as spring training begins
From: jwalsh...@gmail.com (JohnW)
 by: JohnW - Fri, 17 Feb 2023 13:19 UTC

Ah, medical news. That pretty much the new stamp that Zaidi has put on this team. Shoulders, elbows, knees and ankles. Throw in Luciano's back issues and you've got a well rounded roster of red crosses.

He's now recovering from a stress fracture in his back.

https://www.knbr.com/2023/02/15/top-prospect-marco-luciano-still-recovering-from-back-injury-as-spring-training-begins/

Re: Luciano still recovering from back injury as spring training begins

<tt0h8t$reel$3@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/sport/article-flat.php?id=335&group=alt.sports.baseball.sf-giants#335

From: pol...@kfu.com (poldy)
Newsgroups: alt.sports.baseball.sf-giants
Subject: Re: Luciano still recovering from back injury as spring training
begins
Date: Mon, 20 Feb 2023 11:22:05 -0800
 by: poldy - Mon, 20 Feb 2023 19:22 UTC

On 2/17/23 5:19 AM, JohnW wrote:
> Ah, medical news. That pretty much the new stamp that Zaidi has put on this team. Shoulders, elbows, knees and ankles. Throw in Luciano's back issues and you've got a well rounded roster of red crosses.
>
> He's now recovering from a stress fracture in his back.
>
> https://www.knbr.com/2023/02/15/top-prospect-marco-luciano-still-recovering-from-back-injury-as-spring-training-begins/

Bad MLB roster and not much in the way of prospects in the pipeline.

Zaidi has only made small moves or only has been allowed small moves.

They did swing for Judge and Correia but even there they're being picky.

They better go all-in on Ohtani, even if it turns out to be a bad contract.

Then move the fences way in so Ohtani still has good slugging numbers
and they can add more hitters.

Unless they get generational pitchers on the roster, this strategy of
trying to win with pitching doesn't work in the juice ball era.

--
Serenity Now!

Re: Luciano still recovering from back injury as spring training begins

<47656d3d-ed01-4d29-a6fa-7f5b7d1c0ecdn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/sport/article-flat.php?id=336&group=alt.sports.baseball.sf-giants#336

Newsgroups: alt.sports.baseball.sf-giants
Date: Wed, 22 Feb 2023 17:05:17 -0800 (PST)
From: jwalsh...@gmail.com (JohnW)
 by: JohnW - Thu, 23 Feb 2023 01:05 UTC

On Monday, February 20, 2023 at 9:22:07 AM UTC-10, poldy wrote:
> On 2/17/23 5:19 AM, JohnW wrote:
> > Ah, medical news. That pretty much the new stamp that Zaidi has put on this team. Shoulders, elbows, knees and ankles. Throw in Luciano's back issues and you've got a well rounded roster of red crosses.
> >
> > He's now recovering from a stress fracture in his back.
> >
> > https://www.knbr.com/2023/02/15/top-prospect-marco-luciano-still-recovering-from-back-injury-as-spring-training-begins/
> Bad MLB roster and not much in the way of prospects in the pipeline.
>

> Zaidi has only made small moves or only has been allowed small moves.
>
> They did swing for Judge and Correia but even there they're being picky.
>
> They better go all-in on Ohtani, even if it turns out to be a bad contract.
>
> Then move the fences way in so Ohtani still has good slugging numbers
> and they can add more hitters.
>
> Unless they get generational pitchers on the roster, this strategy of
> trying to win with pitching doesn't work in the juice ball era.
>

> --
> Serenity Now!

I've watched Ohtani on NHK (daily new) and he gets some serious distance on his home runs. They've got at least two home grown pitchers who will get a look this month. That's like teasing fans though because they are not AAA yet, kind of depressing to depend on five inning starters and the bullpen.. No matter how good the bullpen might be, they'll get worn out before the all star break.

I saw a great black and white video of the 1962 Giants getting of a bus in Scottsdale for spring treating.. Last player was Don Larsen. :)

Re: Luciano still recovering from back injury as spring training begins

<tt8i8c$1v71m$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/sport/article-flat.php?id=337&group=alt.sports.baseball.sf-giants#337

From: pol...@kfu.com (poldy)
Newsgroups: alt.sports.baseball.sf-giants
begins
Date: Thu, 23 Feb 2023 12:27:56 -0800
 by: poldy - Thu, 23 Feb 2023 20:27 UTC

On 2/22/23 5:05 PM, JohnW wrote:
> On Monday, February 20, 2023 at 9:22:07 AM UTC-10, poldy wrote:
>> On 2/17/23 5:19 AM, JohnW wrote:
>>> Ah, medical news. That pretty much the new stamp that Zaidi has put on this team. Shoulders, elbows, knees and ankles. Throw in Luciano's back issues and you've got a well rounded roster of red crosses.
>>>
>>> He's now recovering from a stress fracture in his back.
>>>
>>> https://www.knbr.com/2023/02/15/top-prospect-marco-luciano-still-recovering-from-back-injury-as-spring-training-begins/
>> Bad MLB roster and not much in the way of prospects in the pipeline.
>>

>> Zaidi has only made small moves or only has been allowed small moves.
>>
>> They did swing for Judge and Correia but even there they're being picky.
>>
>> They better go all-in on Ohtani, even if it turns out to be a bad contract.
>>
>> Then move the fences way in so Ohtani still has good slugging numbers
>> and they can add more hitters.
>>
>> Unless they get generational pitchers on the roster, this strategy of
>> trying to win with pitching doesn't work in the juice ball era.
>>

>> --
>> Serenity Now!
>
> I've watched Ohtani on NHK (daily new) and he gets some serious distance on his home runs. They've got at least two home grown pitchers who will get a look this month. That's like teasing fans though because they are not AAA yet, kind of depressing to depend on five inning starters and the bullpen. No matter how good the bullpen might be, they'll get worn out before the all star break.
>
> I saw a great black and white video of the 1962 Giants getting of a bus in Scottsdale for spring treating.. Last player was Don Larsen. :)

Everyone is going to be bidding on Ohtani.

So odds of landing him are slim, maybe he wants to remain on the West
Coast but then the Dodgers, Padres and Mariners, even Diamonbacks may be
options for him.

But they better at least bid up the price.

--
Serenity Now!

Re: Luciano still recovering from back injury as spring training begins

<d5143d35-5eda-438f-b14c-f5fc8522c337n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/sport/article-flat.php?id=339&group=alt.sports.baseball.sf-giants#339

Newsgroups: alt.sports.baseball.sf-giants
Date: Sat, 25 Feb 2023 16:31:38 -0800 (PST)
From: jwalsh...@gmail.com (JohnW)
 by: JohnW - Sun, 26 Feb 2023 00:31 UTC

On Thursday, February 23, 2023 at 10:27:58 AM UTC-10, poldy wrote:
> On 2/22/23 5:05 PM, JohnW wrote:

> >> Bad MLB roster and not much in the way of prospects in the pipeline.
> >>

> >> Zaidi has only made small moves or only has been allowed small moves.
> >>
> >> They did swing for Judge and Correia but even there they're being picky.
> >>
> >> They better go all-in on Ohtani, even if it turns out to be a bad contract.
> >>
> >> Then move the fences way in so Ohtani still has good slugging numbers
> >> and they can add more hitters.
> >>
> >> Unless they get generational pitchers on the roster, this strategy of
> >> trying to win with pitching doesn't work in the juice ball era.
> >>

> >> --
> >> Serenity Now!
> >
> > I've watched Ohtani on NHK (daily new) and he gets some serious distance on his home runs. They've got at least two home grown pitchers who will get a look this month. That's like teasing fans though because they are not AAA yet, kind of depressing to depend on five inning starters and the bullpen. No matter how good the bullpen might be, they'll get worn out before the all star break.
> >
> > I saw a great black and white video of the 1962 Giants getting of a bus in Scottsdale for spring treating.. Last player was Don Larsen. :)
> Everyone is going to be bidding on Ohtani.
>
> So odds of landing him are slim, maybe he wants to remain on the West
> Coast but then the Dodgers, Padres and Mariners, even Diamonbacks may be
> options for him.
>
> But they better at least bid up the price.
>

> --
> Serenity Now!
That's true. However, Zaidi doesn't inspire confidence that he'll ever make a big deal.

Re: Luciano still recovering from back injury as spring training begins

<ttoejm$222p$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/sport/article-flat.php?id=340&group=alt.sports.baseball.sf-giants#340

From: pol...@kfu.com (poldy)
Newsgroups: alt.sports.baseball.sf-giants
begins
Date: Wed, 1 Mar 2023 13:03:49 -0800
 by: poldy - Wed, 1 Mar 2023 21:03 UTC

On 2/25/23 4:31 PM, JohnW wrote:
> On Thursday, February 23, 2023 at 10:27:58 AM UTC-10, poldy wrote:
>> On 2/22/23 5:05 PM, JohnW wrote:
>>

>>> I've watched Ohtani on NHK (daily new) and he gets some serious distance on his home runs. They've got at least two home grown pitchers who will get a look this month. That's like teasing fans though because they are not AAA yet, kind of depressing to depend on five inning starters and the bullpen. No matter how good the bullpen might be, they'll get worn out before the all star break.
>>>
>>> I saw a great black and white video of the 1962 Giants getting of a bus in Scottsdale for spring treating.. Last player was Don Larsen. :)
>> Everyone is going to be bidding on Ohtani.
>>
>> So odds of landing him are slim, maybe he wants to remain on the West
>> Coast but then the Dodgers, Padres and Mariners, even Diamonbacks may be
>> options for him.
>>
>> But they better at least bid up the price.
>>

>> --
>> Serenity Now!
> That's true. However, Zaidi doesn't inspire confidence that he'll ever make a big deal.

Yeah but is he allowed to make big deals? I presume when they bid for
Judge and Correia, the owners had to sign off on it since it's a long,
big money commitment.

Meanwhile Padres are giving a big extension to Machado, oeer $300
million for 11 years.

10 years from now they will still have 3 players making over $30 million
but in their mid to late 30s.

Maybe pro athletes are holding up better in their late '30s but injuries
could really derail those kinds of plans.

I would be surprised if the Padres have greater revenues than the
Giants, who don't have a great local TV deal. Maybe their owner is a
big billionaire.

--
Serenity Now!

Re: Luciano still recovering from back injury as spring training begins

<c5c6bb29-7f88-4325-b9cc-8c3baff4de00n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/sport/article-flat.php?id=345&group=alt.sports.baseball.sf-giants#345

Newsgroups: alt.sports.baseball.sf-giants
Date: Thu, 16 Mar 2023 12:46:07 -0700 (PDT)
From: jwalsh...@gmail.com (JohnW)
 by: JohnW - Thu, 16 Mar 2023 19:46 UTC

On Wednesday, March 1, 2023 at 11:03:51 AM UTC-10, poldy wrote:
> On 2/25/23 4:31 PM, JohnW wrote:

> >> Everyone is going to be bidding on Ohtani.
> >>
> >> So odds of landing him are slim, maybe he wants to remain on the West
> >> Coast but then the Dodgers, Padres and Mariners, even Diamonbacks may be
> >> options for him.
> >>
> >> But they better at least bid up the price.
> >>

> >> --
> >> Serenity Now!
> > That's true. However, Zaidi doesn't inspire confidence that he'll ever make a big deal.
> Yeah but is he allowed to make big deals? I presume when they bid for
> Judge and Correia, the owners had to sign off on it since it's a long,
> big money commitment.
>
> Meanwhile Padres are giving a big extension to Machado, oeer $300
> million for 11 years.
>
> 10 years from now they will still have 3 players making over $30 million
> but in their mid to late 30s.
>
> Maybe pro athletes are holding up better in their late '30s but injuries
> could really derail those kinds of plans.
>
> I would be surprised if the Padres have greater revenues than the
> Giants, who don't have a great local TV deal. Maybe their owner is a
> big billionaire.
>

> --
> Serenity Now!

The Giants had more than enough money, but Judge was just playing them to get a bigger contract from the Yankees. There were real concerns with Correia's ankle history, as evidenced by the number of teams that dealt with him and his final signing . San Diego will always throw money at name players, but what good has that ever done for them?
It's hard to be optimistic about the Giants, but they sifted out some good players this spring. We'll just have to see if they can assemble a team that wins games.