It's like deja vu all over again. -- Yogi Berra

sport / alt.sports.basketball.nba.gs-warriors / SFC: Warriors’ 129-114 blowout loss to Timberwolves reveals lingering defensive issues

SubjectAuthor
* SFC: Warriors’ 129-114 blowout loss to TimberwolveDonald Lee
`* Re: SFC: Warriors’ 129-114 blowout loss to Tipoldy
 `- Re: SFC: Warriors’ 129-114 blowout loss to TimberRobin Miller

1
SFC: Warriors’ 129-114 blowout loss to Timberwolves reveals lingering defensive issues

<813edb78-97aa-472e-b6b6-ff31deb29d3dn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/sport/article-flat.php?id=3512&group=alt.sports.basketball.nba.gs-warriors#3512

Newsgroups: alt.sports.basketball.nba.gs-warriors
Date: Wed, 2 Mar 2022 01:24:58 -0800 (PST)
Subject: SFC:_Warriors’_129-114_blowout_loss_to_Timberwolve
s_reveals_lingering_defensive_issues
From: coac...@gmail.com (Donald Lee)
 by: Donald Lee - Wed, 2 Mar 2022 09:24 UTC

https://www.sfchronicle.com/sports/warriors/article/Warriors-129-114-blowout-loss-to-Timberwolves-16970031.php

MINNEAPOLIS — Another game, another tough loss. What were the three top takeaways from Tuesday night’s game at Target Center, where the Warriors lost to the Timberwolves 129-114 to fall to 43-19 this season?

Defensive struggles continue : The Warriors had a strong defensive performance against short-handed Portland coming out of the All-Star break, leaving some to believe that the team had finally turned the corner at that end without Draymond Green and after some much-needed rest. But really, that performance was expected, considering they were playing against a depleted team.. Golden State couldn’t find any answers defensively against a more complete Dalla team Sunday, and those struggles carried over into Tuesday’s loss to the Timberwolves.

The Warriors’ lack of size and frontcourt depth created obvious defensive issues against Minnesota. When Kevon Looney went to the bench late in the first quarter, Timberwolves All-Star center Karl-Anthony Towns had his way. Towns finished the first quarter with 15 points on 5-of-9 shooting in just over 11 minutes, with most of his points coming at or around the basket. He played just five minutes in the second quarter, but had 20 points at halftime.

Because the Warriors kept committing turn overs, it seemed like the Timberwolves were living in transition and stepping into easy 3s. Golden State gave up 26 points in the paint and surrendered eight 3-pointers in the first half as Minnesota shot 50% from the field. They also had six turnovers. Towns finished with 39 points and nine rebounds in the Timberwolves’ win.

Poole’s production: Warriors coach Steve Kerr told reporters before the game that he should have given Jordan Poole more minutes in the first half of Sunday’s game against the Mavericks, and should have put him in a better position to find offensive rhythm after going 0-of-7 from the field.

Kerr kept his word Tuesday. After playing eight minutes in the first half against Dallas, Poole played 11 minutes in the first half against the Timberwolves. However, he continued to struggle while adjusting to his new role as the sixth man. Poole scored two points in the first half on 1-of-5 shooting, was 0-of-3 from 3-point range and was minus-14. He ended up logging 27 minutes against the Timberwolves on Tuesday, finishing with 12 points on 5-of-12 shooting. The Warriors were minus-21 with Poole on the floor.

Moody injured: Rookie Moses Moody got his sixth career start against the Timberwolves. Early, he appeared to be well on his way to a breakout game, scoring six points in the opening minutes. However, after colliding with Towns at the rim at the 5:15 mark of the opening period, he was forced to exit the game and went back to the Warriors’ locker room.

Golden State announced shortly after that Moody had suffered a left eye contusion. He did not return to the game. Otto Porter Jr., who set a career high with six steals Tuesday, started the second half in Moody’s place.

Re: SFC: Warriors’ 129-114 blowout loss to Timberwolves reveals lingering defensive issues

<svoip0$bpo$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/sport/article-flat.php?id=3513&group=alt.sports.basketball.nba.gs-warriors#3513

From: pol...@kfu.com (poldy)
Newsgroups: alt.sports.basketball.nba.gs-warriors
Subject: Re:_SFC:_Warriors’_129-114_blowout_loss_to_Ti
mberwolves_reveals_lingering_defensive_issues
Date: Wed, 2 Mar 2022 12:06:56 -0800
 by: poldy - Wed, 2 Mar 2022 20:06 UTC

On 3/2/22 1:24 AM, Donald Lee wrote:
> https://www.sfchronicle.com/sports/warriors/article/Warriors-129-114-blowout-loss-to-Timberwolves-16970031.php
>
> MINNEAPOLIS — Another game, another tough loss. What were the three top takeaways from Tuesday night’s game at Target Center, where the Warriors lost to the Timberwolves 129-114 to fall to 43-19 this season?
>
> Defensive struggles continue : The Warriors had a strong defensive performance against short-handed Portland coming out of the All-Star break, leaving some to believe that the team had finally turned the corner at that end without Draymond Green and after some much-needed rest. But really, that performance was expected, considering they were playing against a depleted team. Golden State couldn’t find any answers defensively against a more complete Dalla team Sunday, and those struggles carried over into Tuesday’s loss to the Timberwolves.

They've been losing to just about every potential playoff opponent in
the last few weeks.

This team is nowhere like the team in the first couple of months of the
season.

Sure Draymond is out but even if he comes back, who's to say one bump
fighting for a rebound knocks him out for the season and playoffs?

Another thing is Curry is nowhere near the MVP he seemed to be in those
first two months.

Can easily see this team falling to 3rd or 4th and losing in the first
round.

That scenario seems as likely as them winning the WC.

Re: SFC: Warriors’ 129-114 blowout loss to Timberwolves reveals lingering defensive issues

<j8apkpFdk1eU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/sport/article-flat.php?id=3514&group=alt.sports.basketball.nba.gs-warriors#3514

From: robin.mi...@invalid.invalid (Robin Miller)
Newsgroups: alt.sports.basketball.nba.gs-warriors
Subject: Re:_SFC:_Warriors’_129-114_blowout_loss_to_Timber
wolves_reveals_lingering_defensive_issues
Date: Wed, 2 Mar 2022 22:05:56 -0500
 by: Robin Miller - Thu, 3 Mar 2022 03:05 UTC

poldy wrote:
> On 3/2/22 1:24 AM, Donald Lee wrote:
>> https://www.sfchronicle.com/sports/warriors/article/Warriors-129-114-blowout-loss-to-Timberwolves-16970031.php
>>

>> MINNEAPOLIS — Another game, another tough loss. What were the three
>> top takeaways from Tuesday night’s game at Target Center, where the
>> Warriors lost to the Timberwolves 129-114 to fall to 43-19 this season?
>>
>> Defensive struggles continue : The Warriors had a strong defensive
>> performance against short-handed Portland coming out of the All-Star
>> break, leaving some to believe that the team had finally turned the
>> corner at that end without Draymond Green and after some much-needed
>> rest. But really, that performance was expected, considering they were
>> playing against a depleted team. Golden State couldn’t find any
>> answers defensively against a more complete Dalla team Sunday, and
>> those struggles carried over into Tuesday’s loss to the Timberwolves.
>>

> They've been losing to just about every potential playoff opponent in
> the last few weeks.
>
> This team is nowhere like the team in the first couple of months of the
> season.
>
> Sure Draymond is out but even if he comes back, who's to say one bump
> fighting for a rebound knocks him out for the season and playoffs?
>

> Another thing is Curry is nowhere near the MVP he seemed to be in those
> first two months.
>

> Can easily see this team falling to 3rd or 4th and losing in the first
> round.
>
> That scenario seems as likely as them winning the WC.

I agree. The magic of those first two months is gone, at least for now.

Warriors really needed to add a big man. I know that Kerr keeps saying
that they like their team, but how can they defend teams with players
like Towns, Embiid and Jokic? And I admit that I don't know if anyone
was or is available who fits what the Warriors need.

After some reading, it appears that any player who was not on an NBA
roster, other that a 10-day contract, after March 1 is eligible for the
playoffs, so long as he is signed by the end of the season:

https://www.yardbarker.com/nba/articles/deadline_day_for_waived_nba_players_to_be_eligible_for_playoffs/s1_14822_37258540

--Robin