From: ala...@yahoo.com (Allen)
Newsgroups: alt.sports.basketball.nba.gs-warriors
Subject: Kurtenbach: Warriors: What James Wiseman said after his first game in
11 months
Date: Sun, 20 Mar 2022 21:41:51 -0700
 by: Allen - Mon, 21 Mar 2022 04:41 UTC

Warriors: What James Wiseman said after his first game in 11 months
James Wiseman, the No. 2 overall pick in the 2020 NBA Draft, scored 18
points in his first G-League game Thursday.
>STOCKTON, CALIFORNIA – MARCH 10: Golden State Warriors center James
Wiseman (33), who is assigned to the Santa Cruz Warriors, drives to the
hoop to score his first basket against the Stockton Kings in the first
quarter of a G League game at the Stockton Arena in Stockton, Calif., on
Thursday, March 10, 2022. Wiseman played an official game for the first
time in 11 months after tearing the meniscus in his right knee. (Ray
Chavez/Bay Area News Group)
>STOCKTON, CALIFORNIA – MARCH 10: Golden State Warriors center James
Wiseman (33), who is assigned to the Santa Cruz Warriors, drives to the
hoop to score his first basket against the Stockton Kings in the first
quarter of a G League game at the Stockton Arena in Stockton, Calif., on
Thursday, March 10, 2022. Wiseman played an official game for the first
time in 11 months after tearing the meniscus in his right knee. (Ray
Chavez/Bay Area News Group)
By DIETER KURTENBACH | dkurtenbach@bayareanewsgroup.com | Bay Area News
Group
PUBLISHED: March 11, 2022 at 6:26 a.m. | UPDATED: March 11, 2022 at 6:42
a.m.
https://www.eastbaytimes.com/2022/03/11/warriors-what-james-wiseman-said-after-his-first-game-in-11-months/

[video: Wiseman scores 18 pts in G League debut
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qz2yEqhwiV0]

STOCKTON — James Wiseman returned to the court Thursday for his first
game in 11 months following a long rehabilitation process after tearing
his meniscus in his right knee.

The former No. 2 overall pick scored 18 points and pulled down six
rebounds in 21 minutes for the Santa Cruz Warriors of the NBA’s
developmental G-League in a loss to the Stockton Kings.

Here’s what the 20-year-old big man told the media after the contest.

Note: Some questions and answers have been shortened for the sake of
brevity:

How did you feel, overall?

“I feel great. I was just out there, playing my game, doing what I do.
I’ve been working out for the past year, so I’m just happy to be out
there and be running again.”

Were there nerves?

“I was nervous a lot but I meditated this morning, so it kind of
chilled, calmed me down. And also I played 2K last night so like, you
know, I was just like getting buckets with KD, so…”

That put-back dunk, you could see some emotions coming out of it. What
did that feel like?

[video https://gfycat.com/@dkurtenbach]

“It felt good. Reminded me of myself last year.”

Did you get any texts or calls today from staff or Warriors teammates?

Basically, my whole team was telling me to go out there and fave fun and
good luck.

Did it feel like reality that you were back on the floor?

It felt like a dream. It had been like 10 months, a year, and I was just
shocked to be out there, but I was grateful and super appreciative to be
out there as well.

What was your reaction when they mentioned the possibility of playing
with Santa Cruz?

I look at it as an opportunity. I didn’t look at it as a demotion or
anything, because I look at it as an opportunity to get better because I
want to be the best version of myself.

What kind of challenge is it to have a first game back with unfamiliar
personnel?

I study a lot. I was studying the personnel last night. Tonight…Taking
my time out there and getting comfortable.

You talked during your recovery about putting on muscle and getting
stronger. Did you feel a difference out there?

I felt a huge difference putting on 10, 15 pounds of muscle this
offseason. Just going out there and getting comfortable with myself, so
yeah, I felt good.

Where do you feel that strength helping you?

The rebounds. The rebounds. Especially from last year.

What’d you do to add 15 pounds of muscle?

I had a brace on, so I couldn’t do anything but my upper body the whole
summer.

If you were being critical, what’s the thing that you would be looking
to overcome ahead of the next moment?

Have more fun. Just go out there and have fun… put a smile on my face
and play basketball.

Were you upset the night was over when you were subbed out?

I was super upset! I was like, bro, I’m trying to get some more burn.
But it’s all good… I’m just grateful to be out there.

How was your endurance?

It felt good. The first four minutes, I hadn’t been comfortable, but in
the second half, that’s when I found myself a little bit.

Where do you feel you’re at right now with your confidence?

It’s building each game, so I just gotta keep playing. That’s really it.