From: ala...@yahoo.com (Allen)
Newsgroups: alt.sports.basketball.nba.gs-warriors
Subject: Rubin:_Draymond_Green_returns_with_a_goal_to_revitalize
_Warriors’_dynasty_—_and_a_minutes_restriction
Date: Sun, 20 Mar 2022 22:07:05 -0700
 by: Allen - Mon, 21 Mar 2022 05:07 UTC

Draymond Green returns with a goal to revitalize Warriors’ dynasty — and
a minutes restriction
Warriors All-Star Draymond Green set to play against Wizards with
minutes restriction
>Golden State Warriors guard Steph Curry (30) is hugged by injured
teammate Draymond Green before the team’s NBA basketball game against
the Denver Nuggets on Thursday, March 10, 2022, in Denver. (AP
Photo/David Zalubowski)
>Golden State Warriors guard Steph Curry (30) is hugged by injured
teammate Draymond Green before the team’s NBA basketball game against
the Denver Nuggets on Thursday, March 10, 2022, in Denver. (AP
Photo/David Zalubowski)
By SHAYNA RUBIN | srubin@bayareanewsgroup.com | Bay Area News Group
PUBLISHED: March 14, 2022 at 2:09 p.m. | UPDATED: March 15, 2022 at 4:29
a.m.
https://www.eastbaytimes.com/2022/03/14/draymond-green-returns-with-a-goal-to-revitalize-warriors-dynasty/

SAN FRANCISCO — The Warriors looked unsuited for a long playoff run as
they slogged through their roughest patch of the season. With Draymond
Green’s return on Monday, that script could flip quickly.

After a disappointing stretch that saw the Warriors lose nine of 11
games and five straight, wins against the Nuggets on the road and
defending champion Bucks at home showed signs that the off-rhythm
Warriors may finally be on the same page. While coaches and players
pegged Green as the solution to their plight, Golden State started
rounding into playoff form before his return.

It’ll be a softer landing for Green, who can cinch the Warriors’
defensive cohesion and kick their offense into championship-contending
gear sharing court again with Steph Curry and Klay Thompson for the
first time in 1,005 days.

“I’m very excited. I was looking forward to this day for a long time. A
couple months ago,” Green said. “To take the court with those two guys
in particular. I always say, we built this thing – with Andre
(Iguodala), who got here my second year. We built this team from ground
zero.

“To take the floor again with those guys, especially after the nonsense
of – this dynasty is over and all the (stuff) that came with it. I’m
extremely excited.”

Green announced on his podcast earlier this month a targeted March 14
return date without clearing it fully with Warriors director of sports
medicine Rick Celebrini and the coaching staff. Celebrini traveled to
Cabo with Green to continue workouts and rehab before the All-Star break
and suggested a March 12 return. Green agreed with some hesitation.

“To be 100 percent honest with you, at the time he said the 12th, I
could barely push off and hold my balance,” Green said. “But it gave me
that end date.”

Drawing a finish line pushed Green to reach that goal. He is expected to
start on Monday against the Washington Wizards with a 20- to 23- minute
restriction — a precaution the 32-year-old said he’s typically against,
but embraces now recovering from a lower back injury.

“I hate them, whenever I get one I get into a fight with the coach and
Rick,” Green said. I”m actually inviting of it this time around because
I know I need it. I know I need them to protect me from myself.”

That minutes restriction won’t last forever — Green anticipated he’d
need it for 10 games or so with 14 left to play and the Western
Conference’s second seed hanging in the balance.

>RELATED ARTICLES
Warriors on controversial foul calls in Spurs loss: ‘The two fouls at
the end were bizarre’
Draymond Green ejected in Warriors’ 110-108 loss to Spurs
Steph Curry doesn’t believe Marcus Smart’s play was dirty: ‘He didn’t
try to hurt me’
James Wiseman’s setback adds pressure on Warriors’ other centers as
playoffs near
Warriors look to finish homestand on positive note before hitting the
road without Curry

How those minutes will be distributed is yet to be determined. Head
coach Steve Kerr said prior to the Warriors’ win against Milwaukee that
the rotations will be fluid depending on the situation and matchups.

However he’s subbed in and out, the Warriors need Green’s skills as a
point forward. Since Green was sidelined on Jan. 9, Curry has been
operating more as a pure point guard and — because of opposing teams’
double- and triple-teams — taking fewer shots without Green on the
floor. Green’s return should free Curry up off the ball. With Thompson
and Jordan Poole as added scoring threats, the Warriors’ spacing could
be at its best this season.

But Green knows he will have some physical limitations early.
Defensively, Green thrives when he’s going all-out physically.

“I’ve watched now two months, I have in my mind where I can help,” Green
said. “I know some of the things I’ve watched – that’s something I would
normally be doing and I know I can help in that area, but you still have
to figure out the flow of the game. Every game is different, the way
teams guard us is different. I think I’ll come back and let the game
come to me.”

--
Shayna Rubin | Oakland Athletics reporter