From: ala...@yahoo.com (Allen)
Newsgroups: alt.sports.basketball.nba.gs-warriors
Subject: Rubin:_Warriors_on_controversial_foul_calls_in_Spurs_lo
ss:_‘The_two_fouls_at_the_end_were_bizarre’
Date: Sun, 20 Mar 2022 23:17:22 -0700
 by: Allen - Mon, 21 Mar 2022 06:17 UTC

Warriors on controversial foul calls in Spurs loss: ‘The two fouls at
the end were bizarre’
Golden State Warriors share thoughts on the officiating in loss to San
Antonio Spurs
>SAN FRANCISCO, CALIFORNIA – MARCH 20: Golden State Warriors’ Kevon
Looney (5) reacts to an NBA official while playing against the San
Antonio Spurs in the fourth quarter of their NBA game at Chase Center in
San Francisco, Calif., on Sunday, March 20, 2022. The San Antonio Spurs
defeated the Golden State Warriors 110-108. (Jose Carlos Fajardo/Bay
Area News Group)
>SAN FRANCISCO, CALIFORNIA – MARCH 20: Golden State Warriors’ Kevon
Looney (5) reacts to an NBA official while playing against the San
Antonio Spurs in the fourth quarter of their NBA game at Chase Center in
San Francisco, Calif., on Sunday, March 20, 2022. The San Antonio Spurs
defeated the Golden State Warriors 110-108. (Jose Carlos Fajardo/Bay
Area News Group)
By SHAYNA RUBIN | srubin@bayareanewsgroup.com | Bay Area News Group
PUBLISHED: March 20, 2022 at 9:44 p.m. | UPDATED: March 20, 2022 at 9:44
p.m.
https://www.eastbaytimes.com/2022/03/20/warriors-on-controversial-foul-calls-in-spurs-loss-the-two-fouls-at-the-end-were-bizarre/

SAN FRANCISCO — Favorable playoff seeding on the line, the Warriors
can’t afford to lose winnable games.

In Sunday night’s 110-108 loss to the San Antonio, a few questionable
calls from the officiating crew nudged the game out of the Warriors’
control.

In his first start since returning from injury, Draymond Green drew two
technicals within an eight-second span and was ejected. Then Klay
Thompson fouled Josh Richardson on a 3-point attempt that coach Steve
Kerr challenged, only to have the call upheld and upgraded to a flagrant
foul.

In the game’s final minute, Andrew Wiggins was fouled with three seconds
left and broke a tie on his first free throw, then missed the second.
Then Kevon Looney was called for a loose-ball foul on Jakob Poeltl, who
missed his second free throw for Keldon Johnson to quickly score the
game-winning basket.

Here’s what the Warriors had to say about how the game was officiated by
Ed Malloy, Marat Kogut and Natalie Sago.

- Steve Kerr

On the foul calls at the end: “I thought the two fouls at the end were
bizarre, bizarre fouls. I was watching the play where Wiggs got fouled,
I guess they called the play on Poeltl. Shocked by that one and I was
shocked by the one on the rebound. I don’t know how those calls can be
made. To call fouls in that situation, both of them, the one for us and
one against us, I don’t understand how we can decide the game based on
plays that have nothing to do with the game. Players are supposed to
decide the game.”

On Green’s ejection: “It was unfortunate. Obviously we need Draymond
desperately. I was surprised by that. He wasn’t swearing, getting
personal. I guess Marat (Kogut) felt like Draymond didn’t stop
complaining, but Draymond has never stopped complaining. With what he’s
done in this league, Draymond knows how to walk the line. Once he gets
that first one he understands what it takes to get that second one and
he didn’t think he deserved it, but he can’t get kicked out of that
game. He knows we were shorthanded.”

- Jordan Poole

Asked if he understood why Draymond got ejected, Poole shook his head:
“Nah. I didn’t.”

On how they played after his ejection: “We had to pick it up a little
bit. He brings so much energy and leadership on the offensive end. We
just needed to find a way to pick ourselves up when he went out.”

- Nemanja Bjelica

On the officiating: “I mean, I don’t want to comment on anything because
it is what it is. We didn’t lose the game because of that. We started
the game very bad. We tried to find reasons to react to try to win
especially when Draymond got ejected, but they’re also a good team,
they’re young, they don’t have to lose anything. We just need to look
for ourselves, we have a very tough road trip and try to prepare
ourselves for the next three weeks when playoffs start.”

- Otto Porter Jr.

On the foul calls in the final minute: “Eh, just unfortunate to be on
that side of the ball.”

On what happened from his perspective on the last play: “I have no idea.
I think two of our guys had it, kind of bumped each other and it fell
right into their hands and then they were able to get a shot up at the
end, and Keldon got the rebound and put it up quick. I didn’t want to
foul him. Anything could have happened, just an unfortunate bounce that
went their way.”

>RELATED ARTICLES
Draymond Green ejected in Warriors’ 110-108 loss to Spurs
Steph Curry doesn’t believe Marcus Smart’s play was dirty: ‘He didn’t
try to hurt me’
James Wiseman’s setback adds pressure on Warriors’ other centers as
playoffs near
Warriors look to finish homestand on positive note before hitting the
road without Curry
‘It’s unfair’: James Wiseman temporarily shutdown after experiencing
another setback

--
Shayna Rubin | Oakland Athletics reporter