Football is a game designed to keep coalminers off the streets. -- Jimmy Breslin

sport / alt.sports.basketball.nba.gs-warriors / Re: SFC: Road-weary Warriors stumble again in 123-115 loss to Wizards

SubjectAuthor
* SFC: Road-weary Warriors stumble again in 123-115 loss to WizardsDonald Lee
`* Re: SFC: Road-weary Warriors stumble again in 123-115 loss to Wizardspoldy
 `- Re: SFC: Road-weary Warriors stumble again in 123-115 loss to WizardsRobin Miller

1
SFC: Road-weary Warriors stumble again in 123-115 loss to Wizards

<fdf4feb6-8838-456d-8fa3-1f546638ab69n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/sport/article-flat.php?id=3614&group=alt.sports.basketball.nba.gs-warriors#3614

Newsgroups: alt.sports.basketball.nba.gs-warriors
Date: Sun, 27 Mar 2022 19:35:02 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: SFC: Road-weary Warriors stumble again in 123-115 loss to Wizards
From: coac...@gmail.com (Donald Lee)
 by: Donald Lee - Mon, 28 Mar 2022 02:35 UTC

(Didn't watch the game - only listened on radio for a part of the 3rd quarter, looks like the Warriors are struggling with their identity)

https://www.sfchronicle.com/sports/warriors/article/Road-weary-Warriors-stumble-again-in-123-115-loss-17032488.php

WASHINGTON — Here are three observations from the Warriors’ 123-115 loss to the Wizards on Sunday night at Capitol One Arena, a game that Washington led from start to finish as the Warriors fell to 1-3 on their five-game road trip:

Too easy for the Wizards: Warriors head coach Steve Kerr went with the same starters from Friday’s game against Atlanta — Jordan Poole, Klay Thompson, Andrew Wiggins, Draymond Green and Jonathan Kuminga — and the defensive effort was just as poor. Except this time, Golden State didn’t have early explosive offensive play from Poole and Thompson to bail them out.

The Warriors keyed in on Washington’s Kristaps Porziņģis early and sent double teams his way in attempt to slow him down. Early on it was effective, but as the game matured Porziņģis was able to make the right pass out of the doubles, which at times left the Warriors’ perimeter defense in shambles.

Corey Kispert, who made four 3-pointers in the first half, and Rui Hachimura were being left open in the corner where they’re money. A shooter like Kentavious Caldwell-Pope shouldn’t be left open under any circumstances, yet the Warriors allowed him to step into open looks numerous times. Caldwell-Pope didn’t miss a shot: 8-of-8 from the floor (including three 3-pointers) and 3-of-3 on the free throw line.

Golden State’s defensive struggles on the perimeter came down to both effort and execution. There were too many late rotations, or no rotation at all, and blown assignments.

For most of the night, the Warriors just appeared to be a step slower than the Wizards. Washington made 16-of-28 3-pointers, while Golden State shot 24.2% (8-of-33). Because of the Warriors’ poor defensive effort, they dug themselves in an 18-point hole early in the second quarter.

Poole’s injury: Poole could be seen clutching his lower right back when he went to the bench in the first quarter. Underneath his jersey, it appeared he was wearing some sort of brace.

Throughout the night, Poole had his back wrapped when on the sideline and the training staff made him ride the bike and go though a warm-up routine before re-entering the game. Poole finished with a game-high 26 points, but was clearly in a bit of pain and was pretty inefficient: 8-of-25, including 1-of-10 from deep,

With Stephen Curry out for at least the next week, the Warriors can’t afford for Poole to be sidelined, too — he’s the only healthy Warrior who can create offense for himself and others, and pressure opposing defenses at all three levels.

Kuminga struggles: After a dominant performance Wednesday in Miami with Kerr sitting the veterans, Kuminga has started the past two games and hasn’t had much of an impact on either. Sunday night, Kuminga made all four of his free throws, but went 0-5 from the field in 14 minutes.

Kerr said the decision to start Kuminga over veteran center Kevon Looney came down to spacing. It worked Friday night in Atlanta, but didn’t Sunday.

Perhaps it’s unfair to place too much blame on a rookie who’s still trying to find his way. Up-and-down performances are to be expected. But Kerr said better defense will be key for the Warriors to navigate the path ahead without Curry, and build momentum entering the playoffs. It’s a small sample size, sure. But two games with Kuminga as a starter might be enough for Kerr to consider making a change.

Kuminga didn’t play in the second half.

Re: SFC: Road-weary Warriors stumble again in 123-115 loss to Wizards

<t1t3c3$dmu$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/sport/article-flat.php?id=3616&group=alt.sports.basketball.nba.gs-warriors#3616

From: pol...@kfu.com (poldy)
Newsgroups: alt.sports.basketball.nba.gs-warriors
Date: Mon, 28 Mar 2022 12:47:15 -0700
 by: poldy - Mon, 28 Mar 2022 19:47 UTC

On 3/27/22 7:35 PM, Donald Lee wrote:
> (Didn't watch the game - only listened on radio for a part of the 3rd quarter, looks like the Warriors are struggling with their identity)

Wizards were red hot. Kispert probably had his best game and I don't
think KCP missed.

While Warriors started out very cold and got close but they couldn't hit
enough shots while the Wizards kept making them.

It wasn't necessarily them leaving the Wizards open either. Kispert was
hitting contested shots over and over again.

Re: SFC: Road-weary Warriors stumble again in 123-115 loss to Wizards

<jaemnqF7rcuU2@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/sport/article-flat.php?id=3618&group=alt.sports.basketball.nba.gs-warriors#3618

From: robin.mi...@invalid.invalid (Robin Miller)
Newsgroups: alt.sports.basketball.nba.gs-warriors
Date: Mon, 28 Mar 2022 17:13:28 -0400
 by: Robin Miller - Mon, 28 Mar 2022 21:13 UTC

poldy wrote:
> On 3/27/22 7:35 PM, Donald Lee wrote:
>> (Didn't watch the game - only listened on radio for a part of the 3rd
>> quarter, looks like the Warriors are struggling with their identity)
>>

> Wizards were red hot.  Kispert probably had his best game and I don't
> think KCP missed.
>
> While Warriors started out very cold and got close but they couldn't hit
> enough shots while the Wizards kept making them.
>

> It wasn't necessarily them leaving the Wizards open either.  Kispert was
> hitting contested shots over and over again.

The Warriors are really in trouble. Right now Curry, Green and Klay are
all unknown qualities.

--Robin