Newsgroups: alt.sports.football.pro.dallas-cowboys
Date: Tue, 24 Jan 2023 15:05:49 -0800 (PST)
Subject: All Cowboys Playoff QBs: Don Meredith, Craig Morton, Roger Staubach,
Danny White, Troy Aikman, Quincy Carter, Tony Romo, Dak Prescott
From: prohuman...@gmail.com (observer)
 by: observer - Tue, 24 Jan 2023 23:05 UTC

(2nd re-post to add 2 Cowboys Playoff
QBs' wikipedia links that I neglected to
include in my previous re-post, & also
adding my subjective opinion of the
ranking for the 8 Cowboys Playoff QBs)

Ranking for the 8 Cowboys Playoff QBS

1. Roger Staubach: 2 Super Bowls, 2 just
.... 4 points short of wins in Super Bowls,
.... 4 NFC Championships, 11-6 in playoffs,
.... Cowboys Ring of Honor, Pro Football
.... Hall of Fame

2. Troy Aikman: 3 Super Bowls with 3 NFC
.... Championships but passer-rating short-
.... comings in NFC Conference Champion-
.... ship loss, 1st playoff loss, & all playoffs
.... 1996-1999, 11-5 in playoffs, Cowboys
.... Ring of Honor, Pro Football Hall of Fame

3. Don Meredith: very close to 1st 2 Super
.... Bowls in narrow losses to Packers &
.... started Cowboys playoff greatness, first
.... 3 of 17 of 18 years making the playoffs
.... for the Cowboys, Cowboys Ring of Honor

4. Danny White: very close to NFC Champion-
.... ship/Super Bowl, victimized by "The Catch",
.... & started next season's NFC Championship,
.... a loss, 5-5 in playoffs

5. Craig Morton: very close to winning 1st
.... Cowboys Super Bowl, 1 NFC Conference
.... Championship, 3-2 in playoffs with Cowboys

6. Tony Romo: victim of bad luck/fate in 2 of 4
.... playoff losses, 2-4 in playoffs, no Divisional
.... playoff wins

7. Dak Prescott: close but not quite a win in 1st
.... playoff vs Packers, not enough to win in next
.... playoff loss to Rams, lowest playoff passer-
.... ratings in last 2 playoff losses to 49ers, 2-4 in
.... playoffs, bad timing for my ranking for Dak
.... after his bad outing in recent playoff loss, no
.... Divisional playoff wins
8. Quincy Carter: Jerry Jones short-lived QB draft
.... mistake, 1 playoff loss

~~~

Remembering the Cowboys Playoff QBs
prior to Troy Aikman:

Don Meredith, Cowboys Ring of Honor
https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/M/MereDo00/gamelog/post/
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Don_Meredith

Even though he's just 1-3, his & the Cowboys
1st 2 playoffs vs the Packers in what at the
time were referred to as NFL Championship
games, narrow losses to the Packers in the
1st pre-Super Bowl playoff at the end of the
1966 season on 1/1/67, & at the end of the ...

.... 1967 season on 12/31/67 in the 2nd pre-
Super Bowl playoff in the famous "Ice Bowl"
playoff in unbelievably cold Green Bay after
the 1st Divisional Playoff in NFL history in
Don's 'perfect' 158.3 passer-rating vs the
Browns, Don's career coming to a premature ...

.... end after losing to the Browns in the 1968
Divisional playoff. Don went on to fame &
fortune as one of the team broadcasting
ABC Monday Night Football.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_Monday_Night_Football

~~~

Craig Morton, 3-2 in playoff starts with the
Cowboys followed by 2-3 in playoff starts
with the Broncos. He led the Cowboys in
an agonizing 13-16 overtime loss to the
Colts in the Cowboys very 1st Super Bowl
(Super Bowl V) after the Cowboys narrowly ...

.... missed out on playing in the 1st 2 Super
Bowls with Don Meredith at QB.
https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/M/MortCr00/gamelog/post/
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Craig_Morton

~~~

Roger Staubach, Cowboys Ring of Honor,
Pro Football Hall of Fame, 11-6 in 17 playoff
starts including 4 NFC Conference Champi-
onships & 2 Super Bowl NFL Championships
& 2 narrow Super Bowl losses to the Steelers
by 4 points in each Super Bowl loss.

4 of his 6 playoff losses were in 4 of his 5 low-
est passer-rating playoff games; he won 4 of 5
of his 4th to 8th lowest passer-rating playoff
games.

His passer-ratings in his 2 narrow Super Bowl
losses were 77.8, 9th-best, & 100.4, 5th-best, &
those were his only losses in his 9 best passer-
rating playoff games.
https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/S/StauRo00/gamelog/post/
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roger_Staubach

~~~

Danny White (just 3 years older than I am, the
Cowboys QB closest to my age), 5-5 in 10 play-
off starts, 3 of his playoff losses were his 3 low-
est playoff passer-ratings, with his 1st playoff
loss being in his 2nd-highest playoff passer-rat-
ing in the famous 1981 season NFC Conference ...

.... Championship "The Catch" loss by 1 point to
the 49ers/Joe Montana on 1/10/82, & his next
playoff loss being in the 1982 season NFC Con-
ference Championship loss to the Redskins on
1/22/83.

Arguably, he was a victim of bad luck / fate in
that loss to the 49ers 1/10/82. Had that gone
in the Cowboys & Danny's favor, his career may
have led him & the Cowboys to a much brighter
1980s experience than it turned out to be.

He was backup to Roger Staubach 1976-1979
which included a Super Bowl win over the Bron-
cos & a narrow Super Bowl loss to the Steelers.
https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/W/WhitDa01/gamelog/post/
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Danny_White

~~~

Troy Aikman, Cowboys Ring of Honor, Pro Foot-
ball Hall of Fame, 11-5, 3 NFC Championships,
3 Super Bowl NFL Championships,
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Troy_Aikman ...

.... but in his 6 lowest playoff passer-rating games,
he was 1-5:
https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/A/AikmTr00/gamelog/post/

63.0-loss to Lions in 1991 Divisional playoff
68.1-loss to 49ers in 1994 NFC Championship
67.9-win over Vikings in 1996 Wild Card playoff
37.4-loss to Panthers in 1996 Divisional playoff
37.0-loss to Cardinals in 1998 Wild Card playoff
70.7-loss to Vikings in 1999 Divisional playoff

~~~

Quincy Carter, only 1 playoff game, 0-1, passer-
rating 56.9-loss to Panthers in 2003 Wild Card
playoff game:
https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/C/CartQu00/gamelog/post/
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quincy_Carter

~~~

Tony Romo, 2-4, his 3 lowest passer-rating games,
he lost all 3, his 1st due to a bobbled snap on an
extra point attempt. Ironically, in his 2014 loss in
the Divisional playoff vs the Packers on 1/11/15,
he had a very high passer-rating, his best in the
playoffs, 143.6, & most blame that loss on idiotic ...

.... officiating (some would interpret that as idiotic
NFL rules) that overruled a Dez Bryant late game
catch at the 1 when Dez dived into the end zone,
& well, it's one of the most controversial reversals
of a call in NFL history, leading to an NFL catch
rule change.
https://groups.google.com/g/alt.sports.football.pro.dallas-cowboys/c/J-gEkFKZn0s/m/voH_-EApBAAJ

Tony's playoff fate, his 1st & last playoff losses
were simply a matter of bad fate (i.e., bad luck).
https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/R/RomoTo00/gamelog/post/
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tony_Romo

~~~

Dak Prescott, 2-4, only his last 2 playoff losses to the
49ers were blamable on his 2 lowest playoff passer-
ratings. His 1st playoff loss in a Divisional playoff
versus the Packers in his rookie 2016 season, tying
the game with a Cowboys field goal with 58 seconds
left, the Packers winning the game with a field goal ...

.... with just 35 seconds left, Dak's best passer-rating
'til this season's playoff win over the Bucs.
https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/P/PresDa01/gamelog/post/
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dak_Prescott

Dak's 2nd playoff loss, to the Rams, in the Divisional
playoff in the 2018 season, his 2nd-best playoff pas-
ser-rating, my detailed analysis of that game is at
https://groups.google.com/g/alt.sports.football.pro.dallas-cowboys/c/ratESXRxiLw/m/_myVu2GPEgAJ

~~~

'Tis unfortunate that after the Cowboys last Super
Bowl win, Troy's playoff skills faded, Quincy was a
Jerry Jones mistake, Tony Romo was more a vic-
tim of bad luck / bad fate than QB shortcomings
with his career ended by injury, & Dak had respec-
table playoff credentials but for reasons unknown, ...

.... he's been haunted by the 49ers in the last 2 play-
off seasons. Look elsewhere for, well, since I just
posted it, here's my view on Jerry Jones, Mike Mc-
Carthy, & Dak Prescott after the Cowboys latest
not-ready-for-prime-time playoff loss:
https://groups.google.com/g/alt.sports.football.pro.dallas-cowboys/c/NVSTry0xf6Y/m/lkmoFNAUEAAJ