From: ala...@yahoo.com (Allen)
Newsgroups: alt.sports.basketball.nba.gs-warriors
Subject: Kenney: Jordan Poole keeps rising to the occasion for Warriors
Date: Sat, 9 Apr 2022 20:55:23 -0700
 by: Allen - Sun, 10 Apr 2022 03:55 UTC

Jordan Poole keeps rising to the occasion for Warriors
Andre Iguodala sees similarities between Warriors breakout star Jordan
Poole and Miami Heat third-year guard Tyler Herro
>SAN FRANCISCO, CALIFORNIA – APRIL 7: Golden State Warriors’ Jordan
Poole (3) gestures after making a three-point basket against the Los
Angeles Lakers in the fourth quarter of their NBA game at Chase Center
in San Francisco, Calif., on Thursday, April 7, 2022. (Ray Chavez/Bay
Area News Group)
>SAN FRANCISCO, CALIFORNIA – APRIL 7: Golden State Warriors’ Jordan
Poole (3) gestures after making a three-point basket against the Los
Angeles Lakers in the fourth quarter of their NBA game at Chase Center
in San Francisco, Calif., on Thursday, April 7, 2022. (Ray Chavez/Bay
Area News Group)
By MADELINE KENNEY | mkenney@bayareanewsgroup.com | Bay Area News Group
PUBLISHED: April 9, 2022 at 5:45 a.m. | UPDATED: April 9, 2022 at 7:12 p.m.
https://www.eastbaytimes.com/2022/04/09/jordan-poole-continues-to-rise-to-occasion-for-warriors/

SAN FRANCISCO — Jordan Poole has done everything the Warriors have asked
of him this season and then some.

He thrived as starter in place of the injured Klay Thompson earlier in
the season, proving himself to be a crafty scorer both at the rim and
behind the arc. And Poole has since stepped up in place of Stephen
Curry, who’s missed the last three weeks with a foot injury.

Poole has been one of the NBA’s best non-All-Star players since the
February break. In 34 games, he’s averaging 23.7 points while shooting
48.3% from the field and 42.5% from deep. He’s also tallying 5.1 assists
and 4.0 rebounds per game.

Poole has gotten more looks from opponents, often drawing double teams
as of late. That pressure has actually helped him develop into a better
facilitator.

Poole’s court vision has improved throughout the season, and he’s
learning when to make the extra pass to create opportunities for his
teammates. That was on display in Thursday’s regular-season home finale
win over the starless Los Angeles Lakers.

With two defenders on him near the 3-point line in the fourth quarter,
Poole passed to a cutting Andre Iguodala, who who finished at the rim.

“It just feels really good to put my teammates in really easy situations
to score the ball, especially getting guys going early in case the game
gets close… just making the right play,” Poole said. “If they’re open, I
have the utmost faith and trust in my teammates that they’ll be able to
knock the shot down.”

Poole finished with a career-high 11 assists and was just one point shy
of stretching his 20-plus-point streak to 18 games Thursday.

“[Poole has] gotten so much better even in the last month or so,” coach
Steve Kerr said. “He’s become much more efficient with his dribble. He’s
not over-dribbling. The possessions are running smoother, so he’s really
coming into his own.”

The Warriors’ ball movement has improved overall over the last few games
after the team struggled to find its groove without Curry. Golden State
has tallied a combined 68 assists over the last two games while its
opponents have recorded a combined 33.

“We’re trying to put [defenders] in situations where they mess up on
coverage and then we’ve just got to take advantage of it,” Poole said.
“Being able to have so many weapons and threats out there on the court…
once we get moving in our offense to get good looks, [it] makes us
pretty dangerous.”

>RELATED ARTICLES
Jordan Poole clutch down stretch as Warriors hold off Spurs
Is this Gregg Popovich’s final season? Not even Steve Kerr knows
How Doncic’s reversed technical impacts Warriors’ seeding hopes
Here’s how the Warriors will divide up nights to rest Thompson,
Iguodala and Porter
Here’s how the Warriors can lock in the No. 3 seed ahead of the Mavs

Iguodala described Poole as a “workhorse” and a gym rat, who is one of
the first guys in the gym every day and among the last ones to leave.
His dedication has helped him emerge as a Most Improved Player of the
Year candidate.

>SAN FRANCISCO, CALIFORNIA – APRIL 7: Golden State Warriors’ Jordan
Poole (3) dribbles around Los Angeles Lakers’ Wayne Ellington (2) in the
fourth quarter of their NBA game at Chase Center in San Francisco,
Calif., on Thursday, April 7, 2022. (Ray Chavez/Bay Area News Group)

Iguodala sees similarities between the Warriors breakout star and Miami
Heat third-year guard Tyler Herro.

“I don’t think people knew quite how good of a passer Tyler was,”
Iguodala said. “We call both of them ‘wonder boys’ because they are both
from Milwaukee and they both have that flair and flash to their game.
They both can score at a high clip and that can sometimes take away from
the other parts of their game that they are pretty good at. They both
have really good left hands, they both make those cross-court passes
with one hand.”

Iguodala was quick to point out that Herro, drafted just 15 spots ahead
of Poole in the 2019 NBA Draft, is eyeing a possible max contract.

“I’m laughing at Jordan… same thing, just continuing to develop your
game,” Iguodala said.

While Herro had more of an immediate impact on the NBA, earning a spot
on the 2019-20 All-Rookie second team, Poole is well on his way to
earning a big payday.

>SAN FRANCISCO, CALIFORNIA – APRIL 7: Golden State Warriors’ Jordan
Poole (3) celebrates his three-point basket with a fan against the Los

--
Madeline Kenney | Warriors reporter