From: ala...@yahoo.com (Allen)
Newsgroups: alt.sports.basketball.nba.gs-warriors
Subject: BANG/Simon:_Warriors_‘a_mystery’_as_pla
yoffs_begin_—_even_to_NBA_experts
Date: Tue, 19 Apr 2022 16:51:58 -0700
 by: Allen - Tue, 19 Apr 2022 23:51 UTC

Warriors ‘a mystery’ as playoffs begin — even to NBA experts
The limited time together — and the lack of size — are big questions for
the Golden State Warriors as postseason nears
>SAN FRANCISCO, CALIFORNIA – JAN. 9: Golden State Warriors’ Klay
Thompson (11) sits with teammates Draymond Green (23) and Stephen Curry
(30) before the start of their NBA game against the Cleveland Cavaliers
at Chase Center in San Francisco, Calif., on Sunday, Jan. 9, 2022. This
is the first time that Thompson has played since Game 6 of the 2019 NBA
Finals when he tore his ACL against the Toronto Raptors. (Jose Carlos
Fajardo/Bay Area News Group)
>SAN FRANCISCO, CALIFORNIA – JAN. 9: Golden State Warriors’ Klay
Thompson (11) sits with teammates Draymond Green (23) and Stephen Curry
(30) before the start of their NBA game against the Cleveland Cavaliers
at Chase Center in San Francisco, Calif., on Sunday, Jan. 9, 2022. This
is the first time that Thompson has played since Game 6 of the 2019 NBA
Finals when he tore his ACL against the Toronto Raptors. (Jose Carlos
Fajardo/Bay Area News Group)
By ALEX SIMON | asimon@bayareanewsgroup.com | Bay Area News Group
PUBLISHED: April 15, 2022 at 11:12 a.m. | UPDATED: April 15, 2022 at
11:29 a.m.
https://www.eastbaytimes.com/2022/04/15/warriors-a-mystery-as-playoffs-begin-even-to-nba-experts/

Given the fact that the three main Golden State Warriors players — Steph
Curry, Draymond Green and Klay Thompson — have played just 11 minutes
together this season, even NBA experts don’t know what to make of this
team as the playoffs get underway.

“They haven’t played together,” said longtime NBA coach-turned-analyst
Stan Van Gundy. “They have a long history together, but it’s ancient
history. So they’re definitely a mystery.”

Turner analysts Van Gundy and Greg Anthony spoke to the media on a
conference call ahead of the NBA playoffs, which start on Saturday. Both
believe the Warriors are still a good team, but see flaws in their roster.

“When you compare this team to their championship runs … they’re not
nearly as good defensively as they used to be,” Anthony said. “They’re
not as versatile either because they can’t play big.”

That size issue will come to the forefront right away in the first
round, as reigning MVP Nikola Jokic leads the Nuggets from the center
spot. Van Gundy bluntly said Jokic is “going to be a problem” for the
Warriors, but doesn’t think Denver has enough help around the big man to
really exploit the mismatch.

“They’ll struggle with Jokic, like everybody does. The problem is,
Denver doesn’t have enough offense around him to beat Golden State,” Van
Gundy said. “Curry’s health is a huge part of it, but if Curry is
healthy and playing, I don’t see how Denver can make this a long series
— let alone win it.”

>RELATED ARTICLES
Column: Nuggets exposed by Warriors as clown show, too soft and
splintered to contend for NBA title
Warriors’ three-guard lineup proves to be too much for Nuggets
The Warriors’ best defense against Jokic: Draymond Green and a
demoralizing offense
Kurtenbach: The Warriors’ new small-ball lineup could break the NBA.
Andrew Wiggins holds it together
Steph Curry scores 34 points off the bench as Warriors take 2-0
series lead over Nuggets

Van Gundy has the Suns as his favorite in the West, but sees the
Warriors as the one team who could challenge Phoenix. But he added that
it’s only possible if they quickly return to how they looked at start to
the year.

“Unless they can get back to that level — and I find it hard to believe
they could in this short amount of time — I see Phoenix in the finals,”
Van Gundy said.

Anthony didn’t directly agree with Van Gundy but did note that the core
of the Warriors roster is not “ascending” anymore. His main question for
the team is if the rest of the Golden State roster can match the trio’s
level — whatever it now is.

“I don’t think they’re championship caliber yet, but I wouldn’t doubt
the belief in their locker room that they can do it again,” Anthony
said. “Those guys are still great players.”

--
Alex Simon