From: ala...@yahoo.com (Allen)
Newsgroups: alt.sports.basketball.nba.gs-warriors
Subject: Kenney:_Warriors’_Klay_Thompson_is_back_in_the_
playoffs_—_and_hungrier_than_ever
Date: Tue, 19 Apr 2022 17:23:12 -0700
 by: Allen - Wed, 20 Apr 2022 00:23 UTC

Warriors’ Klay Thompson is back in the playoffs — and hungrier than ever
Ahead of first playoff game since recovering from two major injuries,
Klay Thompson appreciates journey to get here but wants more
>SAN FRANCISCO, CALIFORNIA – MARCH 12: Golden State Warriors’ Klay
Thompson is all smiles after his 38-point performance against the
Milwaukee Bucks, Saturday, March 12, 2022, at Chase Center in San
Francisco, Calif. (Karl Mondon/Bay Area News Group)
>SAN FRANCISCO, CALIFORNIA – MARCH 12: Golden State Warriors’ Klay
Thompson is all smiles after his 38-point performance against the
Milwaukee Bucks, Saturday, March 12, 2022, at Chase Center in San
Francisco, Calif. (Karl Mondon/Bay Area News Group)
By MADELINE KENNEY | mkenney@bayareanewsgroup.com | Bay Area News Group
PUBLISHED: April 16, 2022 at 4:30 a.m. | UPDATED: April 16, 2022 at 9:25
a.m.
https://www.eastbaytimes.com/2022/04/16/warriors-klay-thompson-is-back-in-the-playoffs-and-hungrier-than-ever/

SAN FRANCISCO — Nearly three years after tearing his left ACL and 17
months after rupturing his right Achilles tendon, Klay Thompson is
writing one of the best comeback stories in sports.

For the first time since he crumpled to the floor in Game 6 of the NBA
Finals, Thompson is back in the playoffs. So, too, are the Warriors.
Both have exceeded expectations, not coincidentally, and both want more.
They share a genuine belief that they can win their fourth championship
in eight years.

“We have the ingredients,” Thompson said this week. “It’s about locking
in and playing for each other, and it’s playing free.”

Fresh off a 41-point performance in the Warriors’ regular-season finale
last Sunday, Thompson is finally free again.

“The proof is on the court,” coach Steve Kerr said. “He’s been in a
great groove now so it’s a really good sign… Klay looks as good as ever.”

After a dark stretch in which Thompson sat out two seasons, Stephen
Curry sat out most of one and the Warriors fell from champion to
also-ran, neither player nor the team was expected to quickly regain
elite form.

Yet as the 2022 playoffs begin Saturday, the Warriors are back on the
NBA’s biggest stage and armed with the belief they can hoist another
Larry O’Brien Trophy.

“We’ve been able to do such incredible things together that we want to
do again,” Thompson said. “After two years of not being able to, it was
weird for all of us but we know what we’re capable of being champions at
the end.”

SAN FRANCISCO, CALIFORNIA – APRIL 7: Golden State Warriors’ Klay
Thompson (11) is introduced before their NBA game against the Los
Angeles Lakers at Chase Center in San Francisco, Calif., on Thursday,
April 7, 2022. (Ray Chavez/Bay Area News Group)
Ask Thompson why he’s so confident in his ability to help anchor a
championship-caliber team and he doesn’t point to the obvious.

It’s not his 41-point effort in the season-finale at New Orleans or the
game last month at Atlanta in which he hit nine 3-point shots. He’ll let
out a low whistle when you read him his stats from the last three games
– 110 points and 21-made threes – but that’s not what tops his list either.

For Thompson, it’s the moments behind the curtains in the depths of
Chase Center, with maybe only Warriors director of sports medicine Rick
Celebrini there to witness, that mean the most to him.

“There’s so many days it would just be me and Rick here and it was very
quiet,” Thompson said. “In those moments nobody’s watching, it’s just
you and your will to work and Rick.”

>RELATED ARTICLES
Column: Nuggets exposed by Warriors as clown show, too soft and
splintered to contend for NBA title
Warriors’ three-guard lineup proves to be too much for Nuggets
The Warriors’ best defense against Jokic: Draymond Green and a
demoralizing offense
Kurtenbach: The Warriors’ new small-ball lineup could break the NBA.
Andrew Wiggins holds it together
Steph Curry scores 34 points off the bench as Warriors take 2-0
series lead over Nuggets

Thompson felt most isolated in those rehab sessions. He spent more than
two years watching his teammates play as he longed for the opportunity
to compete alongside them again. “It wasn’t fun at times,” he said, “but
I just knew in the back of my mind it was going to pay off.”
Thompson kept his mind on the big picture. It was never a question
whether he would return but rather what type of player he would be.
There was great skepticism that he could once again play at an All-Star
level. Even Thompson had some concerns about his future.

“I had some, I don’t want to say dark thoughts, but I would have some
hesitation thinking I was going to be great again,” Thompson said.

The road back hasn’t been easy.

Curry described the last few months as an “emotional rollercoaster” for
Thompson as he struggled to rediscover his identity on the court and
return to peak physical conditioning. Thompson has also acknowledged the
turbulence he has endured throughout this season, which has included
uncharacteristic spells of inconsistent shooting.

“He was trying too hard to be the same Klay Thompson he was just before
the injury,” Kerr said.

Thompson rediscovered his old self over the last few weeks. And with 32
games under his belt, he’s back and hungrier than ever.

So too are Curry, who will return Saturday from a 12-game injury
absence, and Draymond Green, the other member of the Warriors’ dynastic
trio.

>SAN FRANCISCO, CALIFORNIA – MARCH 14: Golden State Warriors’ Draymond
Green, #23 Klay Thompson #11 and Stephen Curry #30 celebrate their
126-112 NBA win against the Washington Wizards at the Chase Center in
San Francisco, Calif., on Monday, March 14, 2022. It was the first time
the trio shared the court in 1,005 days. (Jane Tyska/Bay Area News Group)

With a mix that includes breakout star Jordan Poole, iron man Kevon
Looney, All Star Andrew Wiggins and Andre Iguodala (in what likely will
be his last go-around), Thompson sees a team that is “championship lethal.”

Can the Warriors coalesce in time to make another memorable run?

“The hard work is almost behind us, for me at least, so I’m just so
grateful to be back in the playoffs,” Thompson said. “I meant it when I
said I had no expectations. Like, I do want to be great, but the fact
I’m out there having fun competing, it’s such a blessing.”

With so much to figure out in so little time, though, Golden State is
going to have to make adjustments on the fly during the postseason. The
key to the first round is containing reigning league MVP Nikola Jokic.

Due to the lack of continuity this season in terms of lineups, the
Warriors are relying on their past experiences to help them weather this
postseason run. Thompson said it’s vital that the Warriors stick to what
they know.

>RELATED ARTICLES
Warriors’ three-guard lineup proves to be too much for Nuggets
Klay Thompson relishes his ‘so special’ return to playoffs for Warriors
Revisiting each Warriors-Nuggets matchup from this season
If Nuggets’ Murray surprises to return vs. Warriors, he’ll have an
ally in Klay
Klay Thompson goes off for 41 points as Warriors clinch No. 3 seed
with win over Pelicans

“We all know that this is not a sport where individualism can carry you
over the top. It’s great teams and a collective of everybody as a group
that pushes dynasties to historic instances,” Thompson said. “We are
very hungry.”

The last few years have taught Thompson not to take anything for
granted. Every accomplishment is worth cherishing, he says, and it’s
still a work in progress.

“After two years of rehab and then to be able to do stuff like that [how
he’s played this season], it’s inspiring to myself to keep going and
regain that consistency that made me so great prior to these injuries,”
Thompson said. “I’ve shown flashes but now it’s just about stringing
them together for a season.”

That season starts Saturday.

>SAN FRANCISCO, CALIFORNIA – APRIL 2: Golden State Warriors’ Klay
Thompson (11) gestures after making a 3-point basket against the Utah
Jazz in the fourth quarter of their NBA game at Chase Center in San
Francisco, Calif., on Saturday, April 2, 2022. The Golden State Warriors
defeated the Utah Jazz 111-107. (Jose Carlos Fajardo/Bay Area News Group)

--
Madeline Kenney | Warriors reporter