From: ala...@yahoo.com (Allen)
Newsgroups: alt.sports.basketball.nba.gs-warriors
Subject: Kenney: Jordan Poole steals show in playoff debut as Warriors take
Game 1
Date: Tue, 19 Apr 2022 17:35:26 -0700
 by: Allen - Wed, 20 Apr 2022 00:35 UTC

Jordan Poole steals show in playoff debut as Warriors take Game 1
Saturday was a reunion for the championship core of Curry, Klay
Thompson, Draymond Green and Andre Iguodala, who hadn’t all been healthy
for a single game this season. But the seasoned veterans welcomed the a
big part of the team’s future to their party: Jordan Poole.
>SAN FRANCISCO, CALIFORNIA – APRIL 16: Golden State Warriors’ Jordan
Poole (3) is congratulated by Klay Thompson (11) and Golden State
Warriors’ Draymond Green (23) after drawing a foul and scoring
back-to-back against the Denver Nuggets in the second quarter of Game 1
of their NBA first round playoff series at Chase Center in San
Francisco, Calif., on Saturday, April 16, 2022. (Ray Chavez/Bay Area
News Group)against
>SAN FRANCISCO, CALIFORNIA – APRIL 16: Golden State Warriors’ Jordan
Poole (3) is congratulated by Klay Thompson (11) and Golden State
Warriors’ Draymond Green (23) after drawing a foul and scoring
back-to-back against the Denver Nuggets in the second quarter of Game 1
of their NBA first round playoff series at Chase Center in San
Francisco, Calif., on Saturday, April 16, 2022. (Ray Chavez/Bay Area
News Group)against
By MADELINE KENNEY | mkenney@bayareanewsgroup.com | Bay Area News Group
PUBLISHED: April 16, 2022 at 8:13 p.m. | UPDATED: April 17, 2022 at 2:11
p.m.
https://www.eastbaytimes.com/2022/04/16/jordan-poole-steals-show-in-playoff-debut-as-warriors-take-game-1/

SAN FRANCISCO — Jordan Poole had been dreaming of this moment since he
was young. Each year, he would watch the NBA playoffs and envision what
it would be like for the kid from Milwaukee to play at the big stage.

All those hours in the gym and watching film paid off Saturday.

Poole and the Warriors didn’t disappoint in their first playoff game at
Chase Center as they fed off the energy from the raucous crowd to sail
to a 123-107 victory over the Denver Nuggets to take Game 1 of the
first-round series.

Saturday was a reunion for the championship core of Steph Curry, Klay
Thompson, Draymond Green and Andre Iguodala, who hadn’t all been healthy
for a single game this season. But the seasoned veterans welcomed a big
part of the team’s future to their party: Poole.

The third-year guard, who started in Curry’s place, rose to the occasion
in his playoff debut to the surprise of no one who’s watched him over
the last six weeks. Poole dropped 30 points, shooting 9-of-13 overall
and connecting on five of his seven 3-point attempts. His outstanding
performance made him the third Warriors player to score at least 30
pints in their first playoff game, putting him in the company of Hall of
Famers Wilt Chamberlain and Mitch Richmond.

“Jordan Poole, wow, what a playoff debut,” Thompson said after the win.
“All his hard work is paying off. If he doesn’t get Most Improved this
year, it just doesn’t make sense.”

Said coach Steve Kerr, “That’s kind of what we expected. He’s not afraid
of the moment and he was looking forward to it. He works every day to
prepare and he had a great game.”

Poole, one of the league’s best 3-point shooters over the last month, is
making a strong case for Kerr to keep him in the starting lineup even
with Curry being back. Not that Poole is worried about that.

“I’m just trying to make the most of the opportunity when I’m out there,
just continue to be aggressive, play my game,” Poole said. “My teammates
and coaches told me just to be me.”

Kerr initially split up Curry and Poole for the first quarter and most
of the second. There was a noticeable increase in tempo when he decided
to unleash Poole, Curry, Thompson, Andrew Wiggins and Green to close out
the first half.

The Warriors exploded for a 18-4 run in the final four minutes of the
half, which was capped off by a Curry 3-pointer.

Golden State led 58-47 heading into the locker room and never looked back.

“[We’re] a unit that was pretty comfortable playing together, we haven’t
played together much but in order to just feel each other out there, how
dangerous we all are, just finding ways to get stops and just getting
out in transition, we were just able to capitalize,” Poole said.

Thompson scored 19 points, connecting on five of his 10 3-point
attempts, and Wiggins added 16 points.

Green, who had 12 points and nine assists, and Kevon Looney made Nikola
Jokic’s life difficult Saturday, with Green at times frustrating the
Nuggets big man. Jokic said the two did a “really good job” defending him.

Still, the Serbian giant led Denver’s scoring with 25 points. Guard Will
Barton added 24 points.

“They have the tools, I think I missed a couple easy ones but they were
defending me really well, so I need to be better,” Jokic said. “I just
need to at least make the layups and the easy shots.”

Previous
Next
1 of 8
>SAN FRANCISCO, CALIFORNIA – APRIL 16: Golden State Warriors’ Stephen
Curry (30) dribbles the ball against the Denver Nuggets in the first
quarter of Game 1 of their NBA first round playoff series at Chase
Center in San Francisco, Calif., on Saturday, April 16, 2022. (Ray
Chavez/Bay Area News Group)

Curry, who was under a minute restriction, finished with 16 points
(3-for-6 from the 3-point line and 5-for-13 overall) in 22 minutes. Kerr
said he’ll wait to see how Curry’s body reacts to playing and will
consult with the Warriors’ training staff before determining the path
forward for the rest of the series, which continues with Game 2 in San
Francisco on Monday before heading to Denver later in the week.

Curry, who sees a lot of ice in his future, said managing his injury
will be “a tough balance.”

“It’s tough because of the balance between the rehab and therapy part
and managing it but also trying to get as much work in and getting my
skill set right,” he said.

The Warriors are feeling good being up 1-0 in the series, but they know
from experience that they can’t get too confident.

“In my experience in the NBA, Game 2 after a comfortable win in Game 1
is always a tough endeavor,” Kerr said. “So we know what’s coming.
Denver has had a lot of success in the playoffs the last few years.”

--
Madeline Kenney | Warriors reporter