From: ala...@yahoo.com (Allen)
Newsgroups: alt.sports.basketball.nba.gs-warriors
Subject: Kenney:_After_leading_Warriors_to_Game_1_win,_Jordan_
Poole’s_ready_for_whatever_his_role_may_be
Date: Tue, 19 Apr 2022 17:45:09 -0700
 by: Allen - Wed, 20 Apr 2022 00:45 UTC

After leading Warriors to Game 1 win, Jordan Poole’s ready for whatever
his role may be
Warriors' Jordan Poole, after scoring 30 points, said he's willing to do
whatever it takes to help team — even coming off the bench
>SAN FRANCISCO, CALIFORNIA – APRIL 16: Golden State Warriors’ Jordan
Poole (3) reacts after a scoring a three-point basket against the Denver
Nuggets in the third quarter of Game 1 of their NBA first round playoff
series at Chase Center in San Francisco, Calif., on Saturday, April 16,
2022. (Ray Chavez/Bay Area News Group)
>SAN FRANCISCO, CALIFORNIA – APRIL 16: Golden State Warriors’ Jordan
Poole (3) reacts after a scoring a three-point basket against the Denver
Nuggets in the third quarter of Game 1 of their NBA first round playoff
series at Chase Center in San Francisco, Calif., on Saturday, April 16,
2022. (Ray Chavez/Bay Area News Group)
By MADELINE KENNEY | mkenney@bayareanewsgroup.com | Bay Area News Group
PUBLISHED: April 17, 2022 at 4:30 a.m. | UPDATED: April 18, 2022 at 2:51
a.m.
https://www.eastbaytimes.com/2022/04/17/warriors-jordan-poole-willing-to-do-whatever-it-takes-to-win/

SAN FRANCISCO — Jordan Poole didn’t know what to expect in his playoff
debut.

He’s played in some high-stake games before, including last year’s
play-in tournament. In talking with some of his teammates, those games
came “pretty close” to replicating the atmosphere and physicality of the
playoffs. But about a half-hour removed from the final buzzer of the
Warriors’ Game 1 victory over the Denver Nuggets, Poole said he didn’t
really feel the pressure of the stage and crowd.

“It’s just basketball,” Poole said. “Hoop, to be honest.”

Poole looked as good Saturday as he has over the last six weeks.

Starting in place of Stephen Curry, who played for the first time since
injuring his foot last month, Poole dropped a game-high 30 points in the
Warriors’ Game 1 victory over the Denver Nuggets and is forcing coach
Steve Kerr to make a difficult decision of what to do when Curry’s
minutes restriction is lifted.

Will Kerr deploy a three-guard starting lineup that includes Poole or
have the 22-year-old making his first NBA playoff run be the first man
off the bench?

“We’ll cross that bridge when we get to that,” the coach said after the win.

The former seems like a good option.

The Warriors were down by one with about 4 ½ minutes left in the second
quarter when Poole checked in for Kevon Looney, joining Curry, Klay
Thompson, Draymond Green and Andrew Wiggins on the court. They then
erupted and closed out the half on an 18-6 run.

As a playmaker, Poole likes to be on the court alongside Curry and
Thompson during which the Warriors can easily push the game’s tempo.

“It’s pretty lethal being able to have a lot of off-ball action for
these guys and as soon as they get any daylight just trying to find a
way to get them the rock and be aggressive,” Poole said.

After a hot start to the season, Poole struggled midway through the
season adjusting to different roles in the wake of Thompson’s return.
Poole said the inconsistency in his game was in part due to the fact he
was trying to establish on-court chemistry with both Thompson and Curry.

“It was just different,” he said. “It was really just an adjustment. I
don’t think it was necessarily hard or difficult, it just took a little
bit of time to kind of understand where and what worked best with us out
there together.”

Poole thrived over the last six weeks and helped keep the Warriors
afloat without Curry. He’s been the best 3-point shooter in the league
since the beginning of March, making and attempting more shots from deep
than any other player in the Association and at an impressive clip.

Draymond Green recently advocated for Poole to stay in the starting
lineup when Curry is back. Poole said he’s honored to have earned the
trust of the veteran players.

“There’s no better feeling than having the guys behind you who have
already been through the fight,” Poole said. “I’m just thankful to be on
the court with those guys and trying to learn as much as possible so I
could continue to put our team in situations to win.”

And that’s what Poole plans to do — whether he starts or comes off the
bench.

“It’s at the point of the year where you have to be prepared for
anything and it’s just about winning whether you play 35 minutes, if you
play 15 minutes,” Poole said. “It’s about winning the championship.
[This season has] been about getting better and winning a championship
the whole time, but now it’s really the time to lock in and you can’t
even try to let stuff like that affect you because it’s a bigger picture
and so I guess we’ll see.

“I take pride in being ready for the opportunity whenever it comes.”

--
Madeline Kenney | Warriors reporter