From: ala...@yahoo.com (Allen)
Newsgroups: alt.sports.basketball.nba.gs-warriors
Subject: Kenney:_Warriors_notebook:_Steph_Curry_expected_to_pl
ay_Game_2_but_unclear_if_he’ll_start
Date: Tue, 19 Apr 2022 17:52:53 -0700
 by: Allen - Wed, 20 Apr 2022 00:52 UTC

Warriors notebook: Steph Curry expected to play Game 2 but unclear if
he’ll start
Coach Steve Kerr wouldn't tip his hand Sunday on whether Stephen Curry
would start Game 2 of the Western Conference quarterfinals at Chase Center.
>SAN FRANCISCO, CALIFORNIA – APRIL 16: Golden State Warriors’ Stephen
Curry (30) waves after their 123-107 win over the Denver Nuggets in Game
1 of their NBA first round playoff series at Chase Center in San
Francisco, Calif., on Saturday, April 16, 2022. (Ray Chavez/Bay Area
News Group)
>SAN FRANCISCO, CALIFORNIA – APRIL 16: Golden State Warriors’ Stephen
Curry (30) waves after their 123-107 win over the Denver Nuggets in Game
1 of their NBA first round playoff series at Chase Center in San
Francisco, Calif., on Saturday, April 16, 2022. (Ray Chavez/Bay Area
News Group)
By MADELINE KENNEY | mkenney@bayareanewsgroup.com | Bay Area News Group
PUBLISHED: April 17, 2022 at 1:59 p.m. | UPDATED: April 18, 2022 at 2:19
a.m.
https://www.eastbaytimes.com/2022/04/17/warriors-steph-curry-expected-to-play-game-2-but-unclear-if-hell-start/

SAN FRANCISCO — Coach Steve Kerr wouldn’t tip his hand Sunday on whether
Stephen Curry would start Game 2 of the Western Conference quarterfinals
at Chase Center.

After playing about 22 minutes in the Warriors’ dominant Game 1 victory
Saturday, all signs point to Curry being available for Game 2, but it
remains to be seen whether Golden State will start Curry or send him in
midway through the first quarter.

Curry, who’s returning from a foot injury, came off the bench Saturday,
tallying 16 points, four assists and three rebounds. After his first
game in a month, Curry said “everything was smooth for the most part.

“It was nice to get back out there, it was nice to feel a playoff vibe
again, and obviously it’s different coming off the bench and trying to
make the most of the minutes that are [allotted] right now,” said Curry,
who’s under a minute restriction.

Curry missed the last 12 games of the regular season as he nursed a
sprained ligament and bone bruise in his left foot. As of Thursday, the
three-time NBA champion said he was still experiencing mild pain and
discomfort in his injured limb.

While he works his way back into the lineup, Curry said it was his
decision to come off the bench instead of starting.

“I learned a lot just from even just watching Klay’s comeback,” Curry
said. “When I watched him go through it when he came back, that’s a long
time he was sitting in the first and most of the second and you’re
trying to find rhythm. So I wanted to play kind of I guess a constant
pace throughout the game and on what my allotment was that come off the
bench and play those six minutes every quarter was probably the right move.”

Kerr previously said he’d wait to see how Curry’s body reacts to playing
and will consult with the Warriors’ training staff before determining
the path forward for the rest of the series, which continues with Game 2
in San Francisco on Monday before heading to Denver later in the week.

Curry said managing his injury going forward will be “a tough balance.”

“It’s tough because of the balance between the rehab and therapy part
and managing it but also trying to get as much work in and getting my
skill set right,” he said.

But on Sunday, Curry was doing “pretty well,” according to Kerr.

“He’s going to get shots up today, a little more work, but should be
good to go for Monday,” the coach said.

- Warriors’ shut out

The verdict is in: Two Warriors players are not finalists in league
awards they seemed a shoo-in to be at least in the conversation for.

Jordan Poole was snubbed from the league’s Most Improved Player award
much to the disappointment of many Warriors fans and the 22-year-old’s
teammates. And Draymond Green, who missed about three months of the
season with a back injury, was left off the list for Defensive Player of
the Year finalists.

The Most Improved Player finalists, revealed Sunday on Inside the NBA on
TNT, are Darius Garland, Ja Morant and Dejounte Murray. The three
players up for the Defensive Player of the Year are Mikal Bridges, Rudy
Gobert and Marcus Smart.

Green was arguably the top defensive player in the league before a back
injury sidelined him for 11 weeks. And Poole seemed like an obvious
candidate for Most Improved Player after he went from G League player a
season ago to one of the most reliable offensive weapons for the
Warriors this season as he filled huge voids for Golden State when Klay
Thompson and Curry were injured.

There’s probably no one more disappointed in this outcome for Poole than
Green, who had been trumpeting Poole for the award for the last few
weeks. Green went on another passionate rant in support of his younger
teammate after practice Sunday.

>RELATED ARTICLES
Column: Nuggets exposed by Warriors as clown show, too soft and
splintered to contend for NBA title
Warriors’ three-guard lineup proves to be too much for Nuggets
The Warriors’ best defense against Jokic: Draymond Green and a
demoralizing offense
Kurtenbach: The Warriors’ new small-ball lineup could break the NBA.
Andrew Wiggins holds it together
Steph Curry scores 34 points off the bench as Warriors take 2-0
series lead over Nuggets

“If Jordan Poole isn’t the … Most Improved Player then the NBA really
needs to relook at their process because you cannot find a guy on that
list that has made a bigger improvement, I don’t care,” said Green, who
also said he might launch an online petition to get the league to rename
the awards. “If we’re talking about the most improved player, if the
award was voted upon based upon its name, then it’s no brainer who’s the
most improved player. I just fear that these awards sometimes aren’t
voted on in junction with the name, and that’s the issue.”

- That’s a hard pass

Don’t expect there to ever be a moment in the postseason, save for
garbage time, without Curry, Thompson and/or Poole.

“Yeah, I do not have a comfort level at this point,” Kerr said of
running a lineup without at least one of those guys on the court.

After watching Game 1, can you blame him?

--
Madeline Kenney | Warriors reporter