From: ala...@yahoo.com (Allen)
Newsgroups: alt.sports.basketball.nba.gs-warriors
Subject: Rubin:_The_Warriors’_best_defense_against_Jokic
:_Draymond_Green_and_a_demoralizing_offense
Date: Tue, 19 Apr 2022 18:13:57 -0700
 by: Allen - Wed, 20 Apr 2022 01:13 UTC

The Warriors’ best defense against Jokic: Draymond Green and a
demoralizing offense
How the Golden State Warriors have limited Denver's Nikola Jokic
>SAN FRANCISCO, CALIFORNIA – APRIL 18: Golden State Warriors’ Draymond
Green (23) fights for the ball against Denver Nuggets’ Nikola Jokić (15)
in the second quarter of Game 2 of the team’s NBA basketball first-round
playoff series at the Chase Center in San Francisco, Calif., on Monday,
April 18, 2022. (Nhat V. Meyer/Bay Area News Group)
>SAN FRANCISCO, CALIFORNIA – APRIL 18: Golden State Warriors’ Draymond
Green (23) fights for the ball against Denver Nuggets’ Nikola Jokić (15)
in the second quarter of Game 2 of the team’s NBA basketball first-round
playoff series at the Chase Center in San Francisco, Calif., on Monday,
April 18, 2022. (Nhat V. Meyer/Bay Area News Group)
By SHAYNA RUBIN | srubin@bayareanewsgroup.com | Bay Area News Group
PUBLISHED: April 19, 2022 at 5:40 a.m. | UPDATED: April 19, 2022 at 1:56
p.m.
https://www.eastbaytimes.com/2022/04/19/the-warriors-best-defense-against-nikola-jokic-draymond-green-and-a-demoralizing-offense/

SAN FRANCISCO — Commotion disrupted a routine timeout midway through the
third quarter.

Heads started to turn and the crowd rose to their feet to see DeMarcus
Cousins and Will Barton face-to-face, the Denver bench in a kerfuffle.
While teammates pulled the two apart, Draymond Green was at center court
directing the crowd to get loud. They obliged.

“I just saw them arguing,” Green said. “I wasn’t sure who was arguing
but somebody’s down there arguing. The crowd should notice that and they
should be very loud for that. Took me a while to get them loud. That was
disappointing. Shoot.”

Maybe this was the game plan all along, or an unintended consequence of
a talented team finding its best chemistry at the right time. But
something about the Warriors’ style got well under the Nuggets’ skin and
festered, resulting in yet another Warriors rout, 126-106, to extend
their playoff series lead to 2-0 as they head to Denver for Games 3 and 4.

“It was very fun,” Green said. “When you beat a team the way we did the
first time, they come out and they give you their best punch, and they
did that and we took the punch on the chin. We responded the right way.
We got control of the game.”

Confronted with the challenge of facing a vengeful Nikola Jokic in Game
2, the Warriors tactfully wore the stoic MVP down to his lowest.

After holding Jokic to an inefficient 25 points on 25 shot attempts on
Saturday, Green predicted before Monday’s game that Jokic would be
gunning for a 40-point, 15-rebound, 15-assist effort — a line well
within Jokic’s grasp. He looked clear for a big game early in the first,
collecting double-digit points early and notching two quick fouls on
Kevon Looney within the first few minutes.

The Nuggets led by as many as 12 points in the second quarter.

But the Warriors didn’t shrink, they wore their confidence on their
sleeve. Gary Payton II, who stands 6-foot-3 with the quickest hands,
blocked 6-foot-11 Jokic’s shot at the rim and made it sting with a
mocking tap on the butt. Jokic didn’t take kindly to it and turned to
argue with Payton II. Curry stepped between them to calm the tensions.

“Frustration usually shows up in body language,” Green said. “That’s
just kind of what I try to read. You try to read interactions with
teammates and how someone is reacting to their teammates.

“If you feel like you’re getting under their skin, you press a little
more. If you don’t feel like you’re getting under their skin, you press
a little more.”

The Warriors’ three-guard lineup featuring Jordan Poole, Klay Thompson,
Steph Curry, Andrew Wiggins and Green is built to frustrate. Coach Steve
Kerr deployed it again to close the second quarter with similar results
to the first game. The new death lineup went on a 12-0 run, then
finished their six minutes together on a 22-6 run that turned a
six-point deficit into a six-point lead at the half.

Soon, the Warriors were just playing. Poole was knocking down tricky
step-back 3-pointers and zipping quick assists behind his back. Curry
nailed a falling 3-pointer, watched it go on from the ground and spun up
to do his four-point play countdown dance. It didn’t matter who was on
the court anymore — what lineup was most effective, how they were
defending Jokic — the Warriors were straight up demoralizing their opponent.

Previous
Next
1 of 8
>SAN FRANCISCO, CALIFORNIA – APRIL 18: Golden State Warriors’ Draymond
Green (23) and Golden State Warriors’ Andrew Wiggins (22) defend against
Denver Nuggets’ Nikola Jokić (15) in the first quarter of Game 2 of the
team’s NBA basketball first-round playoff series at the Chase Center in
San Francisco, Calif., on Monday, April 18, 2022. (Nhat V. Meyer/Bay
Area News Group)

A suffocating blend of earned arrogance from the three-time champion
core mixed with Poole, Wiggins and Payton II’s wily confidence resulted
in a third quarter the Warriors won 44-30 — their most in a third
quarter in a playoff game under Kerr.

The Nuggets’ frustrations culminated in the fourth quarter. Jokic fouled
Wiggins and spiked the ball in frustration, earning him his second
technical foul of the game and, therefore an ejection. He would not
complete his revenge game.

Could the best defense against Jokic be a demoralizing offense? Maybe.
But Green, Looney and Payton II put in plenty of dirty work, too. Green
in particular got under Jokic, limiting his scoring to 26 points on
9-of-20 shooting — an inefficient line for a player who can almost
always get what he wants.

>RELATED ARTICLES
Column: Nuggets exposed by Warriors as clown show, too soft and
splintered to contend for NBA title
Warriors’ three-guard lineup proves to be too much for Nuggets
Kurtenbach: The Warriors’ new small-ball lineup could break the NBA.
Andrew Wiggins holds it together
Steph Curry scores 34 points off the bench as Warriors take 2-0
series lead over Nuggets
Warriors halftime report: Curry heats up in second quarter

“Draymond, I just don’t know what to say about him,” Kerr said. “You
don’t look at the stat sheet because it doesn’t mean anything. Draymond
dominated that game.”

He knew it, too. Between stoppages — with the Warriors well in the lead
— Green danced to P-Lo at the free-throw line and blew kisses to his
family in the crowd.

The Warriors have just dipped their toe back into the playoff madness —
two wins in a first-round series don’t mean much yet. But even after
that two-year playoff layoff, they’re proving to themselves they can
still instill fear into their opponents’ hearts. Against an immovable
object like Jokic, maybe fear is Golden State’s unstoppable force.

--
Shayna Rubin | Oakland Athletics reporter