From: ala...@yahoo.com (Allen)
Newsgroups: alt.sports.basketball.nba.gs-warriors
Subject: Kenney:_Warriors’_three-guard_lineup_proves_to_
be_too_much_for_Nuggets
Date: Tue, 19 Apr 2022 18:16:08 -0700
 by: Allen - Wed, 20 Apr 2022 01:16 UTC

Warriors’ three-guard lineup proves to be too much for Nuggets
Small Warriors lineup of Curry, Poole, Thompson, Wiggins and Green again
shows it could be best shot at deep run in NBA playoffs
>SAN FRANCISCO, CALIFORNIA – APRIL 18: Golden State Warriors’ Klay
Thompson (11) celebrates a 3-point basket by Golden State Warriors’
Stephen Curry (30) against the Denver Nuggets in the second quarter of
Game 2 of the team’s NBA basketball first-round playoff series at the
Chase Center in San Francisco, Calif., on Monday, April 18, 2022. (Nhat
V. Meyer/Bay Area News Group)
>SAN FRANCISCO, CALIFORNIA – APRIL 18: Golden State Warriors’ Klay
Thompson (11) celebrates a 3-point basket by Golden State Warriors’
Stephen Curry (30) against the Denver Nuggets in the second quarter of
Game 2 of the team’s NBA basketball first-round playoff series at the
Chase Center in San Francisco, Calif., on Monday, April 18, 2022. (Nhat
V. Meyer/Bay Area News Group)
By MADELINE KENNEY | mkenney@bayareanewsgroup.com | Bay Area News Group
PUBLISHED: April 19, 2022 at 7:30 a.m. | UPDATED: April 19, 2022 at 1:59
p.m.
https://www.eastbaytimes.com/2022/04/19/warriors-three-guard-lineup-proves-to-be-too-much-for-nuggets/

SAN FRANCISCO — The lineup has yet to coin an official nickname.

The death lineup? That’s already been used.

The Liquid Lineup or Fast Five? Either seems like a plausible option.

Regardless, the Warriors’ small-but-lethal lineup consisting of Stephen
Curry, Jordan Poole, Klay Thompson, Andrew Wiggins and Draymond Green
once again proved Monday night it might be Golden State’s best chance at
winning its fourth title in eight years.

Coach Steve Kerr had little concerns this lineup would work during the
playoffs despite the group having no minutes together during the regular
season due to various injuries or illness. He pointed to the
championship core’s experience of playing this style in previous title
runs and noted Green is more than comfortable holding down the fort in
the five spot.

“Klay, Steph and Draymond are incredibly comfortable playing this style,
it’s the same style,” Kerr said. “It’s just different additions with
this squad.”

One surprising addition to this year’s unit, however, is Poole who’s
been one of the biggest breakout stars in the league this year.

“I never envisioned Jordan playing this well at the beginning of this
season, even though he had a great season a year ago,” Kerr said. “I
couldn’t envision this, but he’s earned it. This guy puts the work in
every single day in the gym and believes in himself, and he’s got a lot
of skill.”

With Green and Wiggins anchoring the team’s defensive efforts, though
Poole deserves some credit for his improvement on that end as of late,
the Warriors’ three-headed monster on offense proved to be too much for
the Nuggets Monday for the second time this series.

Golden State trailed by eight in the second quarter when Curry and
Thompson entered the game and joined Poole, Wiggins and Green. The
Warriors then went on a 22-8 run, scoring 12 unanswered points in one
stretch, and held a six-point advantage at the half.

The second-quarter scoring outburst Monday night mirrored another run in
Game 1, when that unit overcame a three-point deficit with four minutes
remaining in the first half before entering the locker rooms with an
11-point lead.

Green called that nameless lineup a “passer’s paradise” knowing he has
Curry, Poole and Thompson as possible options on the perimeter. He even
joked that the one “weak” shooter out there around him in that group is
Wiggins, who shot a career-best 39.3% from deep this season and went an
effective 5-of-9 from the field and 2-of-3 from deep in Game 2.

“For me, you can’t ask for anything more on the offensive end, any more
options than that,” Green said. “So yeah, I like it a lot.”

Previous
Next
1 of 13
>SAN FRANCISCO, CALIFORNIA – APRIL 18: Golden State Warriors’ Stephen
Curry (30) celebrates his 3-point basket and foul against the Denver
Nuggets in the third quarter of Game 2 of the team’s NBA basketball
first-round playoff series at the Chase Center in San Francisco, Calif.,
on Monday, April 18, 2022. (Nhat V. Meyer/Bay Area News Group)

Curry, Poole and Thompson combined for 84 of the Warriors’ 126 points
Monday.

What makes them so hard to stop? Just ask one of the league’s best
defenders who happens to be extremely familiar with the trinity.

“Jordan is doing some of the same stuff Steph does and that’s tough,”
Green said. “You’re going to game plan for Steph and… Klay but now
you’ve got to game plan for Jordan, that’s a different beast.”

>RELATED ARTICLES
Column: Nuggets exposed by Warriors as clown show, too soft and
splintered to contend for NBA title
The Warriors’ best defense against Jokic: Draymond Green and a
demoralizing offense
Kurtenbach: The Warriors’ new small-ball lineup could break the NBA.
Andrew Wiggins holds it together
Steph Curry scores 34 points off the bench as Warriors take 2-0
series lead over Nuggets
Warriors halftime report: Curry heats up in second quarter

If opponents try to contain Curry, there’s still two of the league’s
best shooters on the floor. “It’s hard to trap two guys,” Green
continued. “[Poole] has been watching Steph a lot and he’s doing his
best impression, and it’s incredible.”

Yeah, and it’s making the Nuggets’ lives increasingly more difficult and
their title hopes dwindle.

“They’ve got three guys that can score the ball,” Denver guard Will
Barton said. “Curry and Poole with their playmaking puts a lot of
pressure on you getting downhill and making shots. We’ve got to figure
out a way to make it tougher for them.”

How Denver will do that has yet to be seen.

--
Madeline Kenney | Warriors reporter