From: robin.mi...@invalid.invalid (Robin Miller)
Newsgroups: alt.sports.basketball.nba.gs-warriors
Subject: Poole tonight
Date: Tue, 19 Apr 2022 03:26:49 -0400
Firefox/68.0 SeaMonkey/2.53.11.1
 by: Robin Miller - Tue, 19 Apr 2022 07:26 UTC

What an amazing game he had. I had a heretical thought: Could he be
better than Steph one day?

His ability to dribble under control at 100 mph is almost hard to
believe. And tonight he showed the ability to make pinpoint passes while
traveling that fast. That was actually shocking to me.

Will be very interesting to see how the playoffs go. Denver is clearly
overmatched (I actually felt a little sorry for them) but Memphis and
Phoenix will be tough.

--Robin

Re: Poole tonight

<t3pjb9$m5e$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/sport/article-flat.php?id=3719&group=alt.sports.basketball.nba.gs-warriors#3719

From: farberbe...@aol.com (David Farber)
Newsgroups: alt.sports.basketball.nba.gs-warriors
Subject: Re: Poole tonight
Date: Wed, 20 Apr 2022 11:27:56 -0700
 by: David Farber - Wed, 20 Apr 2022 18:27 UTC

On 4/19/2022 12:26 AM, Robin Miller wrote:

> What an amazing game he had. I had a heretical thought: Could he be
> better than Steph one day?
>
> His ability to dribble under control at 100 mph is almost hard to
> believe. And tonight he showed the ability to make pinpoint passes while
> traveling that fast. That was actually shocking to me.
>
> Will be very interesting to see how the playoffs go. Denver is clearly
> overmatched (I actually felt a little sorry for them) but Memphis and
> Phoenix will be tough.
>
> --Robin

Stephen A. Smith has a new name for the Dub's three-guard lineup of
Steph, Klay, and Jordan. *Lethal Weapon 3*
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1lEFF1Kli14

Honorable mention goes to the abbreviation for Poole, Thompson, Steph,
and Draymond. Otherwise know as *PTSD*

--
David Farber
Los Osos, CA

Re: Poole tonight

<t3qikk$kn8$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/sport/article-flat.php?id=3721&group=alt.sports.basketball.nba.gs-warriors#3721

From: ala...@yahoo.com (Allen)
Newsgroups: alt.sports.basketball.nba.gs-warriors
Date: Wed, 20 Apr 2022 20:21:42 -0700
 by: Allen - Thu, 21 Apr 2022 03:21 UTC

On 4/19/2022 12:26 AM, Robin Miller wrote:

> What an amazing game he had. I had a heretical thought: Could he be
> better than Steph one day?
>
> His ability to dribble under control at 100 mph is almost hard to
> believe. And tonight he showed the ability to make pinpoint passes while
> traveling that fast. That was actually shocking to me.
>
> Will be very interesting to see how the playoffs go. Denver is clearly
> overmatched (I actually felt a little sorry for them) but Memphis and
> Phoenix will be tough.
>
> --Robin

It's amazing how much Poole has improved - from a near-bust and almost
out of the league (when he was sent down to the G league), to now a
budding superstar who just can't be stopped (he's so fast and has such a
good first step, he can get by just about anyone).

Re: Poole tonight

<t3s0jc$150u$1@gioia.aioe.org>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/sport/article-flat.php?id=3725&group=alt.sports.basketball.nba.gs-warriors#3725

From: worldoff...@gmail.com (NFN Smith)
Newsgroups: alt.sports.basketball.nba.gs-warriors
Date: Thu, 21 Apr 2022 09:26:19 -0700
 by: NFN Smith - Thu, 21 Apr 2022 16:26 UTC

Allen wrote:
> It's amazing how much Poole has improved - from a near-bust and almost
> out of the league (when he was sent down to the G league), to now a
> budding superstar who just can't be stopped (he's so fast and has such a
> good first step, he can get by just about anyone).

Definitely.

It's also a good reminder that different players have different
development timelines. Just because a guy is drafted in the first
round, that doesn't mean that he's necessarily ready to play. Some of
it may be experience and coaching that can be gained with training camp,
summer leagues, G League, etc, but some if it is also a matter of
maturing at several levels. It's not just maturity on the court, of
knowing the system and knowing how to play at NBA speed, but also of the
pace and grind of an NBA season that most of us fans never really see or
understand. In particular, the long road trips, back-to-back games, etc.
Those aren't trivial.

That Poole has been able to thrive with not necessarily knowing his role
(starter or 6th man, point guard or shooting guard, etc.) is impressive,
but obviously he's bought into Kerr's admonition of "stay ready". For
what it's worth, we've seen that also with Kuminga.

It's too easy to write off a guy as a bust if he gets drafted high and
doesn't contribute immediately. This is exactly the case with Wiseman,
and I've seen too many writers consider him to be bust, and advocating
for including him in a trade because he hasn't done anything yet. Yes,
I get that he's not contributing anything to a potential championship
run, but I think the Warriors knew going in that he was always going to
be a project.

Remember this is a guy whose college career was limited to something
like 6 games, still has had no summer league activity or training camps
between pandemic and injuries. If he had stayed in college, he would
still be just finishing his junior year. He's still just 20. Plus, big
men frequently take longer to develop. And though the injuries have
slowed him, if he takes another year or two before he's a solid
contributor, I don't think that necessarily puts him much behind
schedule. Even Draymond Green wasn't a starter until his third season
(and age 24), and that after he had 4 years at Michigan State.

The pity is that Pete Newell's Big Man Camp is no longer around.
Wiseman could definitely have used that.

Smith

Re: Poole tonight

<t3sc6n$7kc$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/sport/article-flat.php?id=3726&group=alt.sports.basketball.nba.gs-warriors#3726

From: pol...@kfu.com (poldy)
Newsgroups: alt.sports.basketball.nba.gs-warriors
Date: Thu, 21 Apr 2022 12:44:19 -0700
 by: poldy - Thu, 21 Apr 2022 19:44 UTC

On 4/21/22 9:26 AM, NFN Smith wrote:
> Allen wrote:
>> It's amazing how much Poole has improved - from a near-bust and almost
>> out of the league (when he was sent down to the G league), to now a
>> budding superstar who just can't be stopped (he's so fast and has such
>> a good first step, he can get by just about anyone).
>
> Definitely.
>
> It's also a good reminder that different players have different
> development timelines.  Just because a guy is drafted in the first
> round, that doesn't mean that he's necessarily ready to play.  Some of
> it may be experience and coaching that can be gained with training camp,
> summer leagues, G League, etc, but some if it is also a matter of
> maturing at several levels.  It's not just maturity on the court, of
> knowing the system and knowing how to play at NBA speed, but also of the
> pace and grind of an NBA season that most of us fans never really see or
> understand. In particular, the long road trips, back-to-back games, etc.
> Those aren't trivial.
>
> That Poole has been able to thrive with not necessarily knowing his role
> (starter or 6th man, point guard or shooting guard, etc.) is impressive,
> but obviously he's bought into Kerr's admonition of "stay ready".  For
> what it's worth, we've seen that also with Kuminga.
>
> It's too easy to write off a guy as a bust if he gets drafted high and
> doesn't contribute immediately.  This is exactly the case with Wiseman,
> and I've seen too many writers consider him to be bust, and advocating
> for including him in a trade because he hasn't done anything yet.  Yes,
> I get that he's not contributing anything to a potential championship
> run, but I think the Warriors knew going in that he was always going to
> be a project.
>
> Remember this is a guy whose college career was limited to something
> like 6 games, still has had no summer league activity or training camps
> between pandemic and injuries.  If he had stayed in college, he would
> still be just finishing his junior year. He's still just 20. Plus, big
> men frequently take longer to develop.  And though the injuries have
> slowed him, if he takes another year or two before he's a solid
> contributor, I don't think that necessarily puts him much behind
> schedule.  Even Draymond Green wasn't a starter until his third season
> (and age 24), and that after he had 4 years at Michigan State.
>
> The pity is that Pete Newell's Big Man Camp is no longer around. Wiseman
> could definitely have used that.
>
> Smith

Poole's emergence has been great. Every good game he has in the
playoffs is going to make it more expensive to extend him -- he becomes
RFA after next season, though they can extend him after the playoffs.

But let's see how long he sustains it. He started out well this season,
then hit a big lull, where he put up some awful shots, seemed to lack
confidence.

You expect that from young players.

He's had a good sustained run for the last couple of months of the
regular season and now his first two playoffs games.

Let's hope he continues in this series and if the Warriors advance, in
the next round, which will have better defenses.

The 3-guard lineup has put up gaudy numbers so far but Denver isn't
known for their defense.

--
Serenity Now!

Re: Poole tonight

<41d43fdf-8a50-46a6-953b-36d87743787en@googlegroups.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/sport/article-flat.php?id=3735&group=alt.sports.basketball.nba.gs-warriors#3735

Newsgroups: alt.sports.basketball.nba.gs-warriors
Date: Sat, 23 Apr 2022 12:17:56 -0700 (PDT)
From: coac...@gmail.com (Donald Lee)
 by: Donald Lee - Sat, 23 Apr 2022 19:17 UTC

It takes players some time to physically develop (get stronger) and mentally develop (slow down the game).

Poole used to play "too fast" and his shots looked way off. But while it seems like Poole is still playing a little fast, he seems to have gotten his shot down and he can finish well now too.

I would be interested in seeing what the Warriors scouting department had on Poole and compare it to like a bust like Jacob Evans.

Both were late round picks. But Poole has some athleticism and ability that Evans never showed. I seem to recall Evans was a pick of need (a 3 and D wing) but sometimes it's better to draft based on abilities than "need".

DL

On Tuesday, April 19, 2022 at 12:26:55 AM UTC-7, Robin Miller wrote:
> What an amazing game he had. I had a heretical thought: Could he be
> better than Steph one day?
>
> His ability to dribble under control at 100 mph is almost hard to
> believe. And tonight he showed the ability to make pinpoint passes while
> traveling that fast. That was actually shocking to me.
>
> Will be very interesting to see how the playoffs go. Denver is clearly
> overmatched (I actually felt a little sorry for them) but Memphis and
> Phoenix will be tough.
>
> --Robin

Re: Poole tonight

<jcmfmgF24e1U1@mid.individual.net>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/sport/article-flat.php?id=3736&group=alt.sports.basketball.nba.gs-warriors#3736

From: robin.mi...@invalid.invalid (Robin Miller)
Newsgroups: alt.sports.basketball.nba.gs-warriors
Date: Sun, 24 Apr 2022 22:34:54 -0400
 by: Robin Miller - Mon, 25 Apr 2022 02:34 UTC

Donald Lee wrote:
> It takes players some time to physically develop (get stronger) and mentally develop (slow down the game).
>
> Poole used to play "too fast" and his shots looked way off. But while it seems like Poole is still playing a little fast, he seems to have gotten his shot down and he can finish well now too.
>
> I would be interested in seeing what the Warriors scouting department had on Poole and compare it to like a bust like Jacob Evans.
>
> Both were late round picks. But Poole has some athleticism and ability that Evans never showed. I seem to recall Evans was a pick of need (a 3 and D wing) but sometimes it's better to draft based on abilities than "need".
>
> DL

The Evans pick was odd. Supposedly they picked him because he was "NBA
ready," but he never demonstrated NBA-level talent.

Looks like he played pretty much the whole season for the Santa Cruz
Warriors last season:

https://basketball.realgm.com/dleague/teams/Santa-Cruz-Warriors/35/Stats

Jordan Bell, BTW, played one game for Santa Cruz and the rest of the
season for the Fort Wayne Mad Ants:

https://basketball.realgm.com/dleague/teams/Fort-Wayne-Mad-Ants/3/Rosters/2022

I'm still surprised he never made it.

--Robin