From: ala...@yahoo.com (Allen)
Newsgroups: alt.sports.basketball.nba.gs-warriors
Subject: Kurtenbach:_The_Warriors’_Game_3_championship_c
haracter_answered_a_huge_question
Date: Sun, 24 Apr 2022 22:52:13 -0700
 by: Allen - Mon, 25 Apr 2022 05:52 UTC

Kurtenbach: The Warriors’ Game 3 championship character answered a huge
question
Jordan Poole and the Warriors' Game 3 win over the Nuggets effectively
ended the teams' first-round series.
>DENVER, COLORADO – APRIL 21: Golden State Warriors’ Draymond Green
(23) celebrates his 3-point basket against the Denver Nuggets in the
first quarter of Game 3 of the team’s NBA basketball first-round playoff
series at Ball Arena in Denver, Colo., on Thursday, April 21, 2022.
(Nhat V. Meyer/Bay Area News Group)
>DENVER, COLORADO – APRIL 21: Golden State Warriors’ Draymond Green
(23) celebrates his 3-point basket against the Denver Nuggets in the
first quarter of Game 3 of the team’s NBA basketball first-round playoff
series at Ball Arena in Denver, Colo., on Thursday, April 21, 2022.
(Nhat V. Meyer/Bay Area News Group)
By DIETER KURTENBACH | dkurtenbach@bayareanewsgroup.com | Bay Area News
Group
PUBLISHED: April 22, 2022 at 3:30 a.m. | UPDATED: April 22, 2022 at
11:01 a.m.
https://www.eastbaytimes.com/2022/04/22/kurtenbach-the-warriors-championship-character-in-game-3-and-answered-a-big-question/

Thursday was a character win for the Warriors. One of the highest order.

The Dubs didn’t have to win Game 3 to win this series, but a 3-0 series
lead would effectively end the series, securing a tidy start to the
playoffs for the Warriors and likely as much as a week of rest before
the second round.

The blowout wins in the first two games of the series were great, but
the margin of victory didn’t matter in Game 3. This was a pass/fail
test, and a great team — a true championship contender — would take care
of business on Thursday.

The Warriors did just that.

And while Denver has proven to not be much of a matchup for the Dubs,
Golden State establishing a 3-0 lead and their win on Thursday speak
volumes about this team.

In early March I wrote that the struggling Warriors were no longer title
contenders.

My argument was simply that the Warriors had lost the benefit of the
doubt and that they would need to reestablish their bonafides in the
weeks to come.

I’m not sure they did that in the regular season.

But these first three playoff games feel highly informative.

These Warriors might not be the NBA’s best team, but they sure look like
they’ll be the hardest team to eliminate.

It’s just the first round, and it’s a favorable matchup in the Nuggets,
no doubt, but these Warriors have shifted gears in the playoffs. There
will not be a quiet exit from the postseason for Golden State. No sir,
to kill off these Dubs, an opponent will need an incredible level of
precision and endurance.

Frankly, I question if any other team has what it takes.

Now, other matchups will be tough. And these are not the world-beating
Warriors of years past — Golden State isn’t so talented it’s being
alleged that they are ruining the league.

But those years of supernova success are not negated just because the
Warriors are no longer in a league of their own.

No, the experiences that came from those dynastic years can still be
drawn upon by the Warriors. They were Thursday.

>RELATED ARTICLES
How officiating impacted the Warriors’ Game 4 loss to Denver
Kurtenbach: The Warriors were too eager and too disjointed to finish
the Nuggets. Steve Kerr saw it coming
Photo highlights: Golden State Warriors fall to Denver Nuggets in
playoff Game 4
Vintage Steph and Klay efforts not enough for Warriors as Nuggets
force Game 5
Steph Curry to come off bench for Game 4 vs. Nuggets, ‘very close’ to
playing without restrictions

And in a playoffs where six, seven teams could make a case to win the
title, it’s the Warriors core’s experience of going to five titles in
five years — of playing in now 21 playoff series under Steve Kerr — that
will likely be their biggest advantage over the field.

We saw it in Game 3.

“These guys have been around the block a few times. They’re not fazed by
this stuff,” Kerr said.

A lesser team would have folded in Denver.

The referees were calling a lopsided game, as expected, the altitude of
the Mile High City was clearly taking a toll on Jordan Poole at the very
least, and the Warriors were downright disjointed for the first 40-or-so
minutes of the game.

That was Denver’s best shot.

The Dubs could have picked up a bunch of technical fouls in Game 3,
moped around on both sides of the floor, and allowed Denver to re-enter
this series.

That’s what these Warriors would have done during the regular season.
That’s what the vast majority of playoff teams would do in a similar
postseason circumstance.

But it’s in those challenging moments where nothing seems to be going
right where we find the character of a team.

The Warriors might not have a viable backup center, but they have
character up and down their lineup.

The Dubs dug deep on Thursday night. Whether it was championship pride,
experience, or bullheadedness, the result was the same from a
challenging circumstance:

Denver led by two points, 111-109 with 3:20 to play in the fourth. The
Nuggets were in the bonus, Draymond Green had five fouls and was
guarding Nikola Jokic, Andrew Wiggins had fallen off the wagon of
engaged play, and the Warriors’ dynamic small-ball lineup was being
overpowered.

This team had to dig deep.

They did. They scored the next eight points of the game, with Wiggins
making critical plays down the stretch, Denver staying off the
free-throw line and Green stripping Jokic to seal the game.

Previous
Next
1 of 15
>DENVER, COLORADO – APRIL 21: Golden State Warriors’ Stephen Curry (30)
is fouled by Denver Nuggets’ Aaron Gordon (50) in the fourth quarter of
Game 3 of the team’s NBA basketball first-round playoff series at Ball
Arena in Denver, Colo., on Thursday, April 21, 2022. (Nhat V. Meyer/Bay
Area News Group)

“Some guys that you think are *guys* are not guys in the playoffs,”
Green said. “The real ones, they show up on the road, they make plays on
the road. Then some people just show up at home.”

We saw the Warriors’ critical players — Green, Steph Curry, Klay
Thompson and Andre Iguodala — be *guys* in the playoffs before, but that
was years ago.

We did not know if that group still had it going into this postseason.

Three games in, it’s without question that they have not lost that mojo.

What has been most impressive, though, is the number of new Warriors —
guys who have little to no playoff experience — showing that they are
winning postseason players over the first three games.

Jordan Poole has been a revelation. We’ve run out of superlatives for
his performance over the first three contests. Wiggins was fantastic in
Games 1 and 2, and had the play of the game — a critical offensive
rebound with 2:19 to play — after a poor start Thursday. Otto Porter,
Nemanja Bjelica and Gary Payton II all look like 16-win players, as
Green likes to call them.

They look like they’ve been through the wars with the Warriors before, too.

Whether it was Poole giving a pep talk to the championship core on the
bench late in the game, the energy that emanates from the brash Green,
the understated leadership of Curry, who has been happy to come off the
bench for the first three games of this series, what’s clear is that
this team — young and old — knows (or still knows) the formula for
playoff victories.

And they love the drama of the postseason, too.

“You go into an opposing team’s building and you can shut that crowd up
— there’s no better feeling in sports,” Green said. “It’s hard to
duplicate that feeling, that rush that it gives you.”

The Warriors have now won a road game in 24 straight playoff series.

That’s gumption. That’s character. That’s why the Warriors were perhaps
the greatest dynasty in basketball’s modern era and three championship
banners hang from the rafters in Chase Center.

And after seeing that gumption and character show up again Thursday
night, I don’t think it at all ridiculous to imagine a fourth such
banner going up after this summer.