From: ala...@yahoo.com (Allen)
Newsgroups: alt.sports.basketball.nba.gs-warriors
Subject: Kenney:_With_nice_payday_coming,_Warriors’_Ga
ry_Payton_II_wants_to_stay_—_but_after_‘getting_t
he dub’
Date: Sun, 24 Apr 2022 23:04:27 -0700
 by: Allen - Mon, 25 Apr 2022 06:04 UTC

With nice payday coming, Warriors’ Gary Payton II wants to stay — but
after ‘getting the dub’
Payton II has written one of the most epic underdog stories in the NBA
despite being the namesake of one of the league's biggest players of the
90s. And he's continuing to play himself into a nice pay raise this
offseason.
>DENVER, COLORADO – APRIL 21: Golden State Warriors’ Gary Payton II (0)
scores a 3-point basket against the Denver Nuggets in the second quarter
of Game 3 of the team’s NBA basketball first-round playoff series at
Ball Arena in Denver, Colo., on Thursday, April 21, 2022. (Nhat V.
Meyer/Bay Area News Group)
>DENVER, COLORADO – APRIL 21: Golden State Warriors’ Gary Payton II (0)
scores a 3-point basket against the Denver Nuggets in the second quarter
of Game 3 of the team’s NBA basketball first-round playoff series at
Ball Arena in Denver, Colo., on Thursday, April 21, 2022. (Nhat V.
Meyer/Bay Area News Group)
By MADELINE KENNEY | mkenney@bayareanewsgroup.com | Bay Area News Group
PUBLISHED: April 22, 2022 at 6:40 p.m. | UPDATED: April 23, 2022 at 9:55
a.m.
https://www.eastbaytimes.com/2022/04/22/with-nice-payday-coming-warriors-gary-payton-ii-wants-to-stay-but-after-getting-the-dub/

DENVER — Gary Payton II wasn’t sure he would be here.

But as he’s done all season, he’s proved he belongs in the playoffs and
can make an impact on a championship contending team.

“It’s just about time,” Payton said Friday after practice.

Payton has written one of the most epic underdog stories in the NBA
despite being the namesake of one of the league’s most recognizable
stars in the 90s. And so far during the playoffs, Payton is continuing
to play himself into a nice pay raise this offseason.

Not that he’s thinking about that now, with the Warriors on the brink of
sweeping the Nuggets. His focus is on winning.

“We worry about all the business stuff after,” he said.

Payton has gone from being the last man on the Warriors’ roster to being
one of the first players coach Steve Kerr calls on when the starters
need to be relieved. That is, when Stephen Curry isn’t making a case for
being the best sixth man of all time.

Against the Nuggets, Payton has provided a key spark off the bench for
Golden State as his presence alone has changed the flow of games. Known
for his ball-hounding defense, Payton has had two big blocks in this
series against reigning MVP Nikola Jokic, including a big one in Game 2,
where he stopped the Joker from making a putback bucket.

In Game 3 on Thursday, Payton made an immediate impact, grabbing three
rebounds, including two defensive boards, and scoring five points in his
first two minutes. He finished with 11 points on a perfect 4-for-4
shooting and made all three of his 3-point attempts.

“He was great on the ball, his ball pressure. He knocked down open shots
early in the game when they decided to keep leaving him open,” Draymond
Green said after the win. “He’s been incredible all year though, and to
see him continue that through the playoffs… Everybody’s not cut out for
the playoffs, GP is showing that with his toughness and with the mindset
that he has [he is.]

“You got to give credit to guys who show up in the playoffs because it’s
just not a normal thing in this league.”

It’s especially unique for a player like Payton who’s been clawing for
an opportunity to play basketball his entire adult life.

The 29-year-old guard played at a community college before getting a
shot at Oregon State. Then, he went undrafted and bounced around the NBA
and the G League for the last five years mostly as a fringe player,
signing 10-day and two-way contracts. Before this season, he never
played 30 NBA games in a season.

“After you get cut or something, get waived, whatever, [you] just go
back to the drawing board, go back to grinding,” Payton said, “and just
continue to get the reps and just keep going, wait til my next
opportunity and just be ready.”

That patience and dedication paid off this fall.

After being cut during training camp, the Warriors decided to bring him
back in October to fill the 15th spot on their roster.

Since then, Payton blossomed into one of Golden State’s biggest
contributors off the bench. He led the Warriors in deflections (180) and
steals (96) this season while playing an average of 17.6 minutes per game.

“He’s latched onto his minutes and he hasn’t looked back,” coach Steve
Kerr said. “It seems like every time we put him out there, something
good happens. So just really happy for him. You always appreciate the
guys who have to swim upstream to make it and he’s had to swim a long way.”

>RELATED ARTICLES
How officiating impacted the Warriors’ Game 4 loss to Denver
Kurtenbach: The Warriors were too eager and too disjointed to finish
the Nuggets. Steve Kerr saw it coming
Photo highlights: Golden State Warriors fall to Denver Nuggets in
playoff Game 4
Vintage Steph and Klay efforts not enough for Warriors as Nuggets
force Game 5
Steph Curry to come off bench for Game 4 vs. Nuggets, ‘very close’ to
playing without restrictions

Payton grew up watching the playoffs and hearing his father’s stories.
The postseason atmosphere has lived up to the hype.

“Just to be here and be a part of it… it’s crazy,” he said. “I’ve just
been waiting, trying to find somewhere, they’ll give me a chance,
opportunity to show what I can do… but it’s just about time. I just
needed somebody the chance and opportunity to show what I can do and
help a team win.”

With the way Payton has played, he could eventually earn a nice payday
like his former South Bay Lakers teammate Alex Caruso, who signed a
four-year, $37 million deal with the Bulls last offseason.

It’s unclear what the Warriors’ plan is for this offseason with Payton,
who will be an unrestricted free agent. But for now, Kerr said, “This is
the place for him.

“We value what he brings to the team, he fits in perfectly with our
roster,” the coach continued.

Payton would certainly entertain the idea of returning to the Warriors.

“Golden State, I love the organization. They gave me my true
opportunity,” he said. “I want to come back for sure. Like I said we’ll
figure it out at the end of the season, but right now… just got to focus
on getting the dub.”

--
Madeline Kenney | Warriors reporter