From: ala...@yahoo.com (Allen)
Newsgroups: alt.sports.basketball.nba.gs-warriors
Subject: Rubin:_How_officiating_impacted_the_Warriors’_G
ame_4_loss_to_Denver
Date: Sun, 24 Apr 2022 23:34:49 -0700
 by: Allen - Mon, 25 Apr 2022 06:34 UTC

How officiating impacted the Warriors’ Game 4 loss to Denver
Golden State Warriors' Draymond Green fouled out at a critical moment in
their loss to Denver Nuggets
>DENVER, COLORADO – APRIL 24: Golden State Warriors’ Draymond Green
(23) yells at a referee after being called for a foul against the Denver
Nuggets early in the first quarter of Game 4 of the team’s NBA
basketball first-round playoff series at Ball Arena in Denver, Colo., on
Sunday, April 24, 2022. (Nhat V. Meyer/Bay Area News Group)
>DENVER, COLORADO – APRIL 24: Golden State Warriors’ Draymond Green
(23) yells at a referee after being called for a foul against the Denver
Nuggets early in the first quarter of Game 4 of the team’s NBA
basketball first-round playoff series at Ball Arena in Denver, Colo., on
Sunday, April 24, 2022. (Nhat V. Meyer/Bay Area News Group)
By SHAYNA RUBIN | srubin@bayareanewsgroup.com | Bay Area News Group
PUBLISHED: April 24, 2022 at 6:19 p.m. | UPDATED: April 24, 2022 at 6:23
p.m.
https://www.eastbaytimes.com/2022/04/24/how-officiating-impacted-the-warriors-game-4-loss-to-denver/

The box score tells us the Warriors lost Game 4 by five points. That
they overcame a 17-point deficit to come within striking distance of
victory with under two minutes left, but botched a questionable inbound
play to blow it. That Denver hit just one clutch shot more to force a
Game 5 in San Francisco.

The box score also tells us the Warriors were a little more disciplined
than the Denver Nuggets. Golden State finished the game with 27 personal
fouls to Denver’s 31, the Nuggets attempting just four more free throws
(36) than the Warriors (32).

In reality, a bunch of fouls early and an officiating crew eager to call
them knocked the Warriors’ completely off kilter and into a 126-121 loss
on Sunday afternoon in Denver.

“It was tough because you look at it on the stat sheet, they only had
four more free throws and (we had) four more fouls, but it’s the type of
fouls we committed that were bone headed, killed the momentum,” Steph
Curry said. “Especially when they were making a bunch of threes on top
of bad fouls and free throws. It’s hard to get over the hump over the
course of the game.”

The toll of all those fouls were most costly when the Warriors were
drawing up the in-bound pass play — down two points with 33 seconds left
— without their best passer available. Draymond Green had been ejected
after collecting his sixth foul moments earlier defending Nikola Jokic.

>RELATED ARTICLES
Kurtenbach: The Warriors were too eager and too disjointed to finish
the Nuggets. Steve Kerr saw it coming
Photo highlights: Golden State Warriors fall to Denver Nuggets in
playoff Game 4
Vintage Steph and Klay efforts not enough for Warriors as Nuggets
force Game 5
Steph Curry to come off bench for Game 4 vs. Nuggets, ‘very close’ to
playing without restrictions
Warriors-Nuggets live updates: Warriors fight back but can’t finish
off sweep, Game 5 Wednesday

That left Otto Porter Jr. to take his place, who tried to throw a lob
over the top to Andrew Wiggins that Austin Rivers disrupted. The
turnover led to a dagger corner 3-pointer from Wil Barton on the next
possession.

“I would like that play call back, frankly,” coach Steve Kerr said,
adding he was hoping for a quick game-tying bucket so they could go for
a 2-for-1 and potential game-winner to end it. Iffy play call and all,
Green’s impact in those final moments could have flipped the loss.

Green’s job this series to defend Jokic — the king of drawing contact —
caught up to him. He’d gotten his first personal foul just 40 seconds
into the game, when Green accidentally poked Jokic in the eye. Then
Green and Aaron Gordon got in a spat and drew technical fouls.

He had three by the third quarter, then five with just under six minutes
to play as Golden State began flirting with a comeback. A comeback that
came a little too late, ultimately suffocated by the foul trouble.

The Warriors fell down 17 points in the second quarter — a deficit Kerr
said was the result of his team playing too antsy. Part of the
disconnect happened when Klay Thompson drew two quick fouls within the
first quarter, forcing Kerr to pull him and sub in Curry a few minutes
earlier than usual.

While he helped carry the comeback with 32 points and seven 3-pointers,
his foul management disrupted the offensive flow from the get go. After
drawing his fourth personal foul — a questionable offensive foul call
with a half-second left in the half — Thompson had defend with his hands
back the rest of the way, holding on with five fouls.

--
Shayna Rubin
@ShaynaRubin

“Greatly,” Thompson said, asked how much the fouling impacted them.
“Something we need to not do on Wednesday. That’s on me, I started off
the game with two quick fouls. I gotta be smarter than that, especially
with my experience.”

Thompson has fouled out of three playoff games in his career, the last
in the Finals-clinching victory against Cleveland in 2015. Green has now
fouled out in eight different playoff games, his last was in 2019 in the
Western Conference Finals against the Houston Rockets.

Along with Green and Thompson’s 11 collective fouls, Porter Jr. had four
and Andre Iguodala collected five personal fouls on Sunday.

“We were too anxious to win the series,” Kerr said. “That’s why all the
fouls and turnovers, we took ourselves out of the game because we were
too excited.”

--
Shayna Rubin | Oakland Athletics reporter