From: ala...@yahoo.com (Allen)
Newsgroups: alt.sports.basketball.nba.gs-warriors
Subject: Rubin: Three reasons the Warriors lost Game 4 to Denver
Date: Tue, 26 Apr 2022 16:33:07 -0700
 by: Allen - Tue, 26 Apr 2022 23:33 UTC

Three reasons the Warriors lost Game 4 to Denver
The Golden State Warriors' defense wasn't its best against the Denver
Nuggets
>DENVER, COLORADO – APRIL 24: Golden State Warriors’ Jordan Poole (3)
fights for a loose ball against Golden State Warriors’ Kevon Looney (5)
in the first quarter of Game 4 of the team’s NBA basketball first-round
playoff series at Ball Arena in Denver, Colo., on Sunday, April 24,
2022. (Nhat V. Meyer/Bay Area News Group)
>DENVER, COLORADO – APRIL 24: Golden State Warriors’ Jordan Poole (3)
fights for a loose ball against Golden State Warriors’ Kevon Looney (5)
in the first quarter of Game 4 of the team’s NBA basketball first-round
playoff series at Ball Arena in Denver, Colo., on Sunday, April 24,
2022. (Nhat V. Meyer/Bay Area News Group)
By SHAYNA RUBIN | srubin@bayareanewsgroup.com | Bay Area News Group
PUBLISHED: April 25, 2022 at 4:00 a.m. | UPDATED: April 25, 2022 at 7:36
a.m.
https://www.eastbaytimes.com/2022/04/25/three-reasons-why-the-warriors-lost-game-4-to-denver/

A series sweep felt more than possible, but the Warriors’ Game 4 loss to
Denver on Sunday served as a reminder that no playoff win comes easy.

Up a healthy 3-0 with their potential second-round opponent (Memphis or
Minnesota) playing at least six games, a sweep would have ensured the
Warriors a week-long break between action. Coach Steve Kerr sensed his
team’s greed, saying they were “too anxious to win the series.”

All that angst resulted in a 126-121 loss that saw plenty of fouls and
mistakes and a Golden State comeback that fell short.

“We wanted to get greedy and win two (in Denver). We didn’t do that,”
Draymond Green said. “They got one game. They’re a good team with the
MVP on their team. They aren’t gonna just lay down.”

Here’s a look at what went wrong.

- Warriors’ defensive struggles

Draymond Green has made life difficult for reigning MVP Nikola Jokic so
far this series, holding him to 13-for-36 shooting (36%) through the
first three games, according to ESPN.

But Green admitted after Game 3 that he struggled to keep Jokic out of
the paint. And while he was able to force Jokic to score over him in the
first two games, Jokic adjusted. In Game 4, Jokic used his physicality
to his advantage against Green and got him in just enough foul trouble
to have him disqualified from the game during crunch time. Jokic
finished with a game-high 37 points.

Green and Jokic are engaged in an epic chess match, but game-by-game
wins in their battle aren’t the issue.

The problem is that the Warriors’ best offensive lineup is not their
best defensive lineup. Something they’ll have to fight throughout these
playoffs.

“Our man defense was pretty sh—- tonight and that falls on me,” Green
said. “I have to be better. I can’t foul out of the game. I can’t start
off the game fouling. We had a great trap. I get a foul. I feel like it
set the tone and we were fouling the rest of the game.”

While Green’s defense anchors the three-guard lineup, Steph Curry, Klay
Thompson and Jordan Poole are not ideal defenders on the perimeter.

Thompson was one of the best two-way players before his injury, but he’s
lost a half-step on defense since his return from two major injuries
(understandably).

An imperfect defensive lineup wasn’t an issue against the Nuggets in the
first three games because they had no hot hands outside of Jokic. On
Sunday, miscommunication on defense gave players like Monte Morris and
Bones Hyland space to find their shooting stroke. They combined for
eight 3-pointers on 13 attempts.

“Over-helping at times, not helping enough,” Green said of their
defensive struggles. “They played with more force on both ends of the
floor. Take this one on the chin. Bounce back on Wednesday.”

- Golden State commits too many fouls

Green added of the Warriors’ defensive struggles that they “have to
defend without fouling.”

>RELATED ARTICLES
Klay Thompson is playing like his old self, but says he’s ‘not satisfied’
Steph Curry freed from minutes restriction; Warriors mum on whether
he’ll start Game 5
Kurtenbach: The brilliance of Steph Curry’s leadership is explained
by Kevin Durant’s playoff failure
Warriors’ Curry launches new youth golf tour focused on diversity in
the game
Steph Curry to start Game 5? Warriors should consider it

“And when you’re playing against a team like this and you give up those
back cuts, it allows guys to gain confidence. We did that early and they
gained confidence.”

The box score tells us things were pretty even. The Warriors finished
the game with 27 personal fouls to Denver’s 31 and the Nuggets attempted
36 free throws to the Warriors’ 32. But the Warriors’ fouls were
“bone-headed,” as Curry put it.

Thompson found himself with four personal fouls heading into the
halftime break, which hindered a performance in which he managed his
first 30-plus point game since Game 6 of the 2019 NBA Finals, the game
in which he tore his ACL. And Green fouled out of the game with two
minutes remaining in the game — as the Warriors were mounting a comeback
they desperately needed Green’s help with.

All that foul trouble held the Warriors back.

- Jordan Poole has his first mediocre game in a while

It’s been a Poole Party up until Sunday.

The 22-year-old’s first close-out game didn’t go swimmingly — he scored
11 points and one 3-pointer made and finished with a minus-6. A blip in
a scorching playoffs debut in which he scored 30 points in Game 1, 29 in
Game 2 and 27 in Game 3.

If he returns to form for Game 5 and gives the Warriors a third guard
scoring threat, Golden State’s margin for error will increase significantly.

--
Shayna Rubin | Oakland Athletics reporter