From: ala...@yahoo.com (Allen)
Newsgroups: alt.sports.basketball.nba.gs-warriors
Subject: Kurtenbach:_The_brilliance_of_Steph_Curry’s_lea
dership_is_explained_by_Kevin_Durant’s_playoff_failure
Date: Tue, 26 Apr 2022 16:39:43 -0700
 by: Allen - Tue, 26 Apr 2022 23:39 UTC

Kurtenbach: The brilliance of Steph Curry’s leadership is explained by
Kevin Durant’s playoff failure
Golden State Warriors: After two lean years, Steph Curry's team looks
like a title contender again. Meanwhile, Kevin Durant's Nets experiment
has more controversies than wins.
>SAN FRANCISCO, CA – FEBRUARY 13: Golden State Warriors’ Stephen Curry
(30) drives past Brooklyn Nets’ Kevin Durant (7) as Brooklyn Nets’ Kyrie
Irving (11) looks on in the first quarter of their NBA game at Chase
Center in San Francisco, Calif., on Saturday, Feb. 13, 2021. (Ray
Chavez/Bay Area News Group)
>SAN FRANCISCO, CA – FEBRUARY 13: Golden State Warriors’ Stephen Curry
(30) drives past Brooklyn Nets’ Kevin Durant (7) as Brooklyn Nets’ Kyrie
Irving (11) looks on in the first quarter of their NBA game at Chase
Center in San Francisco, Calif., on Saturday, Feb. 13, 2021. (Ray
Chavez/Bay Area News Group)
By DIETER KURTENBACH | dkurtenbach@bayareanewsgroup.com | Bay Area News
Group
PUBLISHED: April 26, 2022 at 2:35 p.m. | UPDATED: April 26, 2022 at 2:45
p.m.
https://www.eastbaytimes.com/2022/04/26/kurtenbach-the-brilliance-of-steph-currys-leadership-is-explained-by-kevin-durants-playoff-failure/

Here’s a fun fact: Stephen Curry has never been swept in the postseason.

Now, he’s certainly lost in the postseason. And yes, he and the Warriors
failed to make it last season from the play-in tournament.

But not even when he was a fresh-faced third-year player in 2013 has
Curry exited a postseason series in four games.

Kevin Durant carried that same distinction until Monday night, when his
Brooklyn Nets were swept out of their first-round series against the
Boston Celtics.

Now, when I say that the Nets are Durant’s team, I don’t mean that in a
cavalier statement to acknowledge his on-court excellence.

No, the Nets are Durant’s team. In a way that only LeBron James can
match, Durant’s sway in Brooklyn is unchecked.

The head coach was his guy. The front office does his bidding. And so
you can lay this embarrassing first-round exit at his feet.

As former Bay Area News Group Warriors beat writer Wes Goldberg told me
on my KNBR show Monday night — “there’s a difference between player
empowerment and player entitlement.”

You can make the argument that Durant and his hand-picked cohorts Kyrie
Irving and Ben Simmons have all crossed that line.

And if the conversations around this league cannot progress above
consistently comparing Steph Curry to Durant, then we need to also
acknowledge that Curry has never once come close to crossing that line
between empowerment and entitlement.

Perhaps that’s why the Warriors sit one win away from the second round,
looking at a road to the NBA Finals that is much smoother than it
appeared to be only a few weeks ago.

Let’s not lose sight of the fact that the Nets were a bold experiment in
the history of the NBA. One that, to this point, has miserably failed.

Three years ago, Nets owner Joe Tsai and his general manager Sean Marks,
in an effort for market relevancy that is yet to come, made Durant and
Irving a deal they could not refuse:

Here’s an NBA team. You might not own it, but you two will call the
shots. And since Irving’s head has seemingly been anywhere but on the
court, it’s really Durant’s team.

Tsai and Marks must have seen the Heat’s success with LeBron James and
the Warriors’ success after that and thought, “Building a super team
can’t be that hard.”

Acquire shot creators, put a laid-back but competitive guy named Steve
in charge, and fill the rest of the roster with role players who want to
live in New York and play for the minimum.

If only it was that easy.

>RELATED ARTICLES
Klay Thompson is playing like his old self, but says he’s ‘not satisfied’
Steph Curry freed from minutes restriction; Warriors mum on whether
he’ll start Game 5
Warriors’ Curry launches new youth golf tour focused on diversity in
the game
Steph Curry to start Game 5? Warriors should consider it
Kurtenbach: Jordan Poole’s reality check could define the Warriors’
postseason

Now, Durant was unable to play that first year in Brooklyn because of
his Achilles tendon tear. Irving only played 20 games because of a
shoulder injury.

But what is the Nets’ excuse for their postseason failures the last two
years? How can they explain away the fact that the trio of Durant,
Irving and James Harden played 16 games and won one playoff series
together before Harden decided he wanted out of Brooklyn one year after
arriving?

Surely Durant and Irving would never blame themselves for their team’s
shortcomings.

And while Durant is smart enough to not give away the game, his partner
in basketball crime, Irving, had no problem copping Monday night:

“When I say I’m here with Kevin, I think that it really entails us
managing this franchise together alongside Joe and Sean,” Irving said
after the Nets’ Game 4 loss. “Just our group of family members that we
have in our locker room, in our organization.”

Could you imagine Curry saying such a thing?

The Warriors guard has serious sway with the organization. More than he
lets on, in fact. But the only time there has been any real angst with
or around the Warriors since he became one of the league’s top players
came when Durant was around.

No, I don’t think that’s a coincidence.

And no matter what level of control a player has over a team, star
players set the culture for their teams the NBA. It’s natural.

But winning is hard. It takes incredible talent, no doubt, but it also
takes selflessness that is becoming ever rarer in today’s league; hell,
in today’s day and age.

It still exists, in guys like Curry and Giannis Antetokounmpo —
brilliant players who are happy to play the role of superstar, but who
don’t need to be showered with credit for their team’s success. These
are players who empower others, not just themselves. They trust other
people in the organization to do their jobs, too.

They are talented to the point of being truly indispensable, but they’re
also smart enough to know the truth:

They can have anything they want in this world. But no one — not even
Curry or Durant — can have everything they want.

Perhaps the Nets will figure it all out in the years to come. I’m skeptical.

Perhaps this is as good as it gets for the Warriors with Curry on the
back nine of his career. We’ll see.

But when the two great players parted ways, I don’t think anyone foresaw
this future with the Nets a perennial disappointment (if they’re making
anyone feel anything at all) and the Warriors, after a couple of truly
lean years, back in a position to seriously contend for a title.

Durant should have his number in the rafters at Chase Center. In
Oklahoma City and Brooklyn, too.

But if you’re wondering why Curry will have the statue out front of the
arena one day — probably with Draymond Green and Klay Thompson, because
that’s how he rolls — this season, the difference in these two teams, is
why.

>Golden State Warriors guard Stephen Curry (30), Draymond Green (23)
and Klay Thompson (11) walk up court during the second half of an NBA
basketball game against the Dallas Mavericks, Saturday, Dec. 13, 2014,
in Dallas. Curry had 29-points, Green had 20-points and Thompson had
25-points in the 105-98 Warriors win. (AP Photo/Tony Gutierrez)