From: ala...@yahoo.com (Allen)
Newsgroups: alt.sports.basketball.nba.gs-warriors
Subject: Rubin:_Klay_Thompson_is_playing_like_his_old_self,_bu
t says he’s ‘not satisfied’
Date: Tue, 26 Apr 2022 16:46:13 -0700
 by: Allen - Tue, 26 Apr 2022 23:46 UTC

Klay Thompson is playing like his old self, but says he’s ‘not satisfied’
Golden State Warriors' Klay Thompson leads league in 3-pointers made
during playoffs
>SAN FRANCISCO, CALIFORNIA – APRIL 18: Golden State Warriors’ Klay
Thompson (11) celebrates his 3-point basket against the Denver Nuggets
in the third quarter of Game 2 of the team’s NBA basketball first-round
playoff series at the Chase Center in San Francisco, Calif., on Monday,
April 18, 2022. (Nhat V. Meyer/Bay Area News Group)
>SAN FRANCISCO, CALIFORNIA – APRIL 18: Golden State Warriors’ Klay
Thompson (11) celebrates his 3-point basket against the Denver Nuggets
in the third quarter of Game 2 of the team’s NBA basketball first-round
playoff series at the Chase Center in San Francisco, Calif., on Monday,
April 18, 2022. (Nhat V. Meyer/Bay Area News Group)
By SHAYNA RUBIN | srubin@bayareanewsgroup.com | Bay Area News Group
PUBLISHED: April 26, 2022 at 4:14 p.m. | UPDATED: April 26, 2022 at 4:22
p.m.
https://www.eastbaytimes.com/2022/04/26/klay-thompson-is-playing-like-his-old-self-but-says-hes-not-satisfied/

Klay Thompson could have spiraled in Game 4.

After scoring eight points within the game’s first four minutes,
Thompson’s two quick personal fouls forced coach Steve Kerr to pull him
out for Steph Curry early. The Warriors’ rotations were a bit
off-kilter, Thompson’s rhythm interrupted.

This might have spelled trouble in a regular season game, but Thompson
isn’t playing like he was in the regular season. Back on the big stage,
Thompson is playing like his old self.

In 31 minutes on Wednesday, his shot never wavered as he hit seven three
pointers on 11 attempts, each one keeping the Warriors within striking
distance until the bitter end of their first playoff loss this year. Now
his 21 total 3-pointers made leads the league in these playoffs.
Memphis’ Desmond Bane trails with 19. Minnesota’s Anthony Edwards has 16
and New Orleans’ CJ McCollum has 15.

“It’s been really awesome, but I’m not satisfied,” Thompson said. “It’s
cool to lead the playoffs in threes, but I want to lead the Finals in
threes. We have a long way to go to that point.”

Thompson’s throwback performance makes those Finals aspirations feel
perfectly attainable; if he continues to shoot efficiently, the
Warriors’ could pull away as the best offense in these playoffs with
Thompson, Curry and Jordan Poole creating an unparalleled
pick-your-poison conundrum for opposing defenders.

He’s been efficient, averaging 10.5 3-point attempts per game hitting
50% from beyond the arc in four games. Only Bane comes close, averaging
10 3-pointers per game at a 49% clip. Thompson is averaging 18 field
goal attempts per game and making them at a 52% clip and is averaging
24.5 points per game.

While Thompson’s return to basketball was first a celebration of triumph
after two major surgeries, he’s used these first four playoff games to
flip the script. All his peers cheering for his return have to fear him
again.

He has that look in his eye again, the same look he had shooting a
playoff-record 11 3-pointers and 41 points in Game 6 against Oklahoma
City in 2016. A disarmingly detached gaze with his lightning-quick release.

Thompson sometimes lost that look during his regular season return while
he tried to regain his footing. He made it a point to soak in the crowd
love during his spectacular games, but looked visibly frustrated during
the clunkers.

That also comes with defensive shortcomings. The former All-Defensive
player has had trouble keeping players in front of him — the Warriors
will need to throw Andrew Wiggins and Gary Payton II to help defend
quick guards.

Kerr often noted that Thompson was pressing with just a half-season to
work with, looking for the home run play to feel like ‘that guy’ again.

Turns out, that guy wasn’t far off. The disarmingly detached gaze might
come from the meditative mindset Thompson works at during his off time.
After practice on Tuesday, Thompson went live on Instagram from his boat
on his way home. Minutes earlier at Chase Center, he said his time on
the water, fishing, reading and meditating, helps him keep an even keel
during the playoffs.

“There’s more to life than the internet and NBA Twitter,” Thompson said.
“You have to realize you can’t take work home with you, though there are
days where it sucks when you lose in front of the world.

“That’s why we get paid to do what we do. That’s why the stakes are so
high, people’s emotions are invested and professional sports, people pay
their hard-earned money to yell at you and tell you how they feel and
that’s just the nature of the business. The more you understand that,
the better of you’ll be dealing with criticism.”

>RELATED ARTICLES
Steph Curry freed from minutes restriction; Warriors mum on whether
he’ll start Game 5
Kurtenbach: The brilliance of Steph Curry’s leadership is explained
by Kevin Durant’s playoff failure
Warriors’ Curry launches new youth golf tour focused on diversity in
the game
Steph Curry to start Game 5? Warriors should consider it
Kurtenbach: Jordan Poole’s reality check could define the Warriors’
postseason

After eight trips to the playoffs, Thompson has some perspective about
the value of quieting his mind. He’s been open about the trauma he
experienced rehabbing for 941 days. Now it looks as if he’s at peace at
the best time.

“When you give 100 percent effort,” he said. “You can live with the
results.”

--
Shayna Rubin | Oakland Athletics reporter

Re: Rubin: Klay Thompson is playing like his old self, but says he’s ‘not satisfied’

<jcrq3jF3030U1@mid.individual.net>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/sport/article-flat.php?id=3763&group=alt.sports.basketball.nba.gs-warriors#3763

From: robin.mi...@invalid.invalid (Robin Miller)
Newsgroups: alt.sports.basketball.nba.gs-warriors
Subject: Re:_Rubin:_Klay_Thompson_is_playing_like_his_old_self,_
but says he’s ‘not satisfied’
Date: Tue, 26 Apr 2022 23:03:10 -0400
 by: Robin Miller - Wed, 27 Apr 2022 03:03 UTC

Allen wrote:
> [...]
>
> “There’s more to life than the internet and NBA Twitter,” Thompson said.
> “You have to realize you can’t take work home with you, though there are
> days where it sucks when you lose in front of the world.
>
> “That’s why we get paid to do what we do. That’s why the stakes are so
> high, people’s emotions are invested and professional sports, people pay
> their hard-earned money to yell at you and tell you how they feel and
> that’s just the nature of the business. The more you understand that,
> the better of you’ll be dealing with criticism.”
>
> After eight trips to the playoffs, Thompson has some perspective about
> the value of quieting his mind. He’s been open about the trauma he
> experienced rehabbing for 941 days. Now it looks as if he’s at peace at
> the best time.
>
> “When you give 100 percent effort,” he said. “You can live with the

A couple things from Slater of The Athletic:

-- Steph Curry no longer has any minute restriction. Prevailing
expectation is he will return to the Warriors starting lineup in Game 5,
but Steve Kerr declined to reveal.

-- How’s this for a vintage Klay Thompson stat: In Game 4, he only
needed four dribbles to reach 32 points. Thompson hit seven 3s. Six of
them were catch-and-shoot, and the seventh was a one-dribble pull-up. He
needed single dribbles for a pump-and-go layup, a pull-up 17-footer and
an attack of an out-of-position Austin Rivers that drew two free throws.

Thompson never dribbled more than once to score. Ball in his hands. Ball
out of his hands. Lethal accuracy. Zero wasted motion. Grab and fire or
grab and go with a straight-line rapid plan.

--Robin