From: ala...@yahoo.com (Allen)
Newsgroups: alt.sports.basketball.nba.gs-warriors
Subject: Rubin:_Klay_Thompson_is_playing_like_his_old_self,_bu
t says he’s ‘not satisfied’
Date: Thu, 28 Apr 2022 15:41:30 -0700
 by: Allen - Thu, 28 Apr 2022 22:41 UTC

Klay Thompson is playing like his old self, but says he’s ‘not satisfied’
Golden State Warriors' Klay Thompson leads league in 3-pointers made
during playoffs
>SAN FRANCISCO, CALIFORNIA – APRIL 18: Golden State Warriors’ Klay
Thompson (11) celebrates his 3-point basket against the Denver Nuggets
in the third quarter of Game 2 of the team’s NBA basketball first-round
playoff series at the Chase Center in San Francisco, Calif., on Monday,
April 18, 2022. (Nhat V. Meyer/Bay Area News Group)
>SAN FRANCISCO, CALIFORNIA – APRIL 18: Golden State Warriors’ Klay
Thompson (11) celebrates his 3-point basket against the Denver Nuggets
in the third quarter of Game 2 of the team’s NBA basketball first-round
playoff series at the Chase Center in San Francisco, Calif., on Monday,
April 18, 2022. (Nhat V. Meyer/Bay Area News Group)
By SHAYNA RUBIN | srubin@bayareanewsgroup.com | Bay Area News Group
PUBLISHED: April 26, 2022 at 4:14 p.m. | UPDATED: April 26, 2022 at 4:51
p.m.
https://www.eastbaytimes.com/2022/04/26/klay-thompson-is-playing-like-his-old-self-but-says-hes-not-satisfied/

Klay Thompson could have spiraled in Game 4.

After scoring eight points within the first four minutes of the playoff
game against the Nuggets, Thompson’s two quick personal fouls forced
coach Steve Kerr to pull him out for Steph Curry. The Warriors’
rotations were a bit off-kilter, Thompson’s rhythm interrupted.

This might have spelled trouble in a regular-season game, but Thompson
isn’t playing like he was in the regular season. Back on the big stage,
Thompson is playing like his old self.

In 31 minutes on Sunday, Thompson’s shot never wavered. He hit seven
three-pointers on 11 attempts, each one keeping the Warriors within
striking distance until the bitter end of their first loss of the
best-of-seven series. Nobody has made more three-pointers so far in the
playoffs than Thompson’s 21. Memphis’ Desmond Bane trails with 19.
Minnesota’s Anthony Edwards has 16 and New Orleans’ CJ McCollum has 15.

“It’s been really awesome, but I’m not satisfied,” Thompson said. “It’s
cool to lead the playoffs in threes, but I want to lead the Finals in
threes. We have a long way to go to that point.”

Thompson’s throwback performance makes those Finals aspirations feel
perfectly attainable. If he continues to shoot efficiently there might
not be a better offense in the league, with Thompson, Curry and Jordan
Poole creating an unparalleled pick-your-poison conundrum for opposing
defenders.

Thompson is averaging 10.5 3-point attempts per game and hitting 50%
from beyond the arc in four games. Only Bane comes close, averaging 10
3-pointers per game at a 49% clip. Thompson is averaging 18 field goal
attempts per game and making them at a 52% clip and is averaging 24.5
points per game.

While Thompson’s return was initially a celebration of triumph after two
major surgeries, he’s used these first four playoff games to flip the
script. All his peers cheering for his return have to fear him again.

He has that look in his eyes again, the same look he had shooting a
playoff-record 11 3-pointers and 41 points in Game 6 of the Western
Conference Finals against Oklahoma City in 2016. A disarmingly detached
gaze with his lightning-quick release.

Thompson sometimes lost that look during the regular season while he
tried to regain his footing. He made it a point to soak in the crowd
love during his spectacular games, but looked visibly frustrated during
the clunkers.

That also comes with defensive shortcomings. The former All-Defensive
player has had trouble keeping players in front of him — the Warriors
will need to throw Andrew Wiggins and Gary Payton II to help defend
quick guards.

Kerr often noted that Thompson was pressing with just a half-season to
work with, looking for the home run play to feel like ‘that guy” again.

Turns out, that guy wasn’t far off. The disarmingly detached gaze might
come from the meditative mindset Thompson works at during his off time.
After practice on Tuesday, Thompson went live on Instagram from his boat
on his way home. Minutes earlier at Chase Center, he said his time on
the water, fishing, reading and meditating, helps him keep an even keel
during the playoffs.

“There’s more to life than the internet and NBA Twitter,” Thompson said.
“You have to realize you can’t take work home with you, though there are
days where it sucks when you lose in front of the world.

“That’s why we get paid to do what we do. That’s why the stakes are so
high, people’s emotions are invested and professional sports, people pay
their hard-earned money to yell at you and tell you how they feel and
that’s just the nature of the business. The more you understand that,
the better off you’ll be dealing with criticism.”

>RELATED ARTICLES
Watch: Steph Curry and daughter Ryan do secret handshake to celebrate
Warriors’ win
Kurtenbach: The Warriors can’t become taller, so they’ll have to
elevate their game
Steph Curry leads Warriors to first playoff series win since 2019:
‘We hopefully have a lot left to do’
Kurtenbach: The Warriors gave us every reason to believe — and a few
reasons to doubt — in their first-round win
‘Unfazed’ Gary Payton II surprises with clutch shooting to seal
Warriors’ clincher

After eight trips to the playoffs, Thompson has some perspective about
the value of quieting his mind. He’s been open about the trauma he
experienced rehabbing for 941 days. Now it looks as if he’s at peace at
the best time.

“When you give 100 percent effort,” he said. “You can live with the
results.”

--
Shayna Rubin | Oakland Athletics reporter