From: ala...@yahoo.com (Allen)
Newsgroups: alt.sports.basketball.nba.gs-warriors
Subject: Rubin:_‘Unfazed’_Gary_Payton_II_surpris
es_with_clutch_shooting_to_seal_Warriors’_clincher
Date: Thu, 28 Apr 2022 16:05:05 -0700
 by: Allen - Thu, 28 Apr 2022 23:05 UTC

‘Unfazed’ Gary Payton II surprises with clutch shooting to seal
Warriors’ clincher
Golden State Warriors' Gary Payton II's fourth quarter performance
helped the Warriors win a nail-biter
>SAN FRANCISCO, CALIFORNIA – JANUARY 19: Golden State Warriors’ Gary
Payton II (0) shoots a basket in the fourth quarter of their NBA game at
Chase Center in San Francisco, Calif., on Thursday, Jan. 20, 2022. The
Indiana Pacers defeated the Golden State Warriors in overtime 121-117.
(Jose Carlos Fajardo/Bay Area News Group)
>SAN FRANCISCO, CALIFORNIA – JANUARY 19: Golden State Warriors’ Gary
Payton II (0) shoots a basket in the fourth quarter of their NBA game at
Chase Center in San Francisco, Calif., on Thursday, Jan. 20, 2022. The
Indiana Pacers defeated the Golden State Warriors in overtime 121-117.
(Jose Carlos Fajardo/Bay Area News Group)
By SHAYNA RUBIN | srubin@bayareanewsgroup.com | Bay Area News Group
PUBLISHED: April 28, 2022 at 12:47 a.m. | UPDATED: April 28, 2022 at
9:41 a.m.
https://www.eastbaytimes.com/2022/04/28/gary-payton-ii-known-for-his-defense-hits-two-huge-3s-in-warriors-game-5-clincher/

SAN FRANCISCO — Gary Payton II isn’t on the floor to shoot. Because of
this, the journeyman with impeccable defensive skill has found a perfect
home sharing the court with basketball’s all-time greatest shooters.

Any scoring from Payton comes as a welcome bonus, not necessarily a
requirement.

But after the Warriors entered the fourth quarter down eight points,
facing a possible Game 6 on the road, it was Payton’s timely 3-point
shooting that helped deliver a 102-98 win on Wednesday night to clinch
this first-round series against Denver.

“He showed everything in his bag tonight,” Klay Thompson said. “In the
playoffs, you need guys to step up. And it was Gary’s night.”

Payton needed just two shots to make his mark. The first came with
Golden State on the precipice of closing in on the Nuggets’ lead — Otto
Porter Jr., mugged by DeMarcus Cousins on one corner, hurled a
cross-court pass to Payton, wide open on the other corner.

Payton didn’t hesitate, hitting the three that awoke a Chase Center
crowd begging for something to cheer. The Warriors had a 86-84 lead and
a new life with under seven minutes remaining.

The second 3 was a dagger. With just over a minute remaining and Denver
trailing by two, Draymond Green passed up a layup under the basket with
Jeff Green closing in to find Payton II beyond the arc from the wing.
Wiggins wasn’t looking to shoot, and passed to Andrew Wiggins in the
corner for a better shot. A defender on him, Wiggins passed it back to
Payton. After a little fumble, swish.

In the fourth quarter alone, Payton scored 10 points with those two big
3-pointers.

--
Warriors on NBCS
@NBCSWarriors

9:28 PM · Apr 27, 2022
3.2K Reply Share
--

Payton was “unfazed,” as coach Steve Kerr said, by the moment. A thread
Kerr pulled early in the game when the Warriors looked just listless

With Andre Iguodala out with a neck injury and Jordan Poole in foul
trouble, Kerr opted to play Payton for the entire fourth quarter.
Hardened by a long, uncertain road through the league, Payton was just
the right guy to handle a little playoff pressure.

“I guess when you’ve bounced around like he has,” Kerr said. “Been in
the G-League, played on ten-day contracts, never really found a home,
there’s a lot more pressure in that than there is in playing in a
high-stakes game.”

Payton’s defense has earned him this moment. The son of “The Glove” Gary
Payton — nicknamed for suffocating defensive skills that bottled up the
likes of Michael Jordan during his storied 13-year NBA career — Payton
is making his own name in the same vein. But composure under pressure
may be genetic.

Payton’s defense in the fourth quarter helped the Warriors re-establish
their pace. Denver’s physicality via Nikola Jokic threw Golden State
into disarray in the first half, and next to Draymond Green, Payton’s
hands and agility in a zone defense prompted some key stops that got
them back in a flow.

Payton got his longest run in the clincher, but he made his presence
felt in limited minutes during the first three games. The 6-foot-3 point
guard blocked 6-foot-11 Jokic at the rim twice — in Game 1 and 2.

>RELATED ARTICLES
Watch: Steph Curry and daughter Ryan do secret handshake to celebrate
Warriors’ win
Kurtenbach: The Warriors can’t become taller, so they’ll have to
elevate their game
Steph Curry leads Warriors to first playoff series win since 2019:
‘We hopefully have a lot left to do’
Kurtenbach: The Warriors gave us every reason to believe — and a few
reasons to doubt — in their first-round win
Photos: Golden State Warriors beat Denver Nuggets to advance to
Western Conference semifinals

“He was making his presence felt, bringing a lot of energy and
athleticism,” Curry said. “Had a lot of defensive awareness and impact
so you knew he was capable of doing that. But it’s also the unknown of
this group being in this situation or the first time, playoffs bring the
best and worst out of you. Look at his impact this series — the first
two games he played a little bit, but it wasn’t like tonight.”

The NBA world is in agreement that the Warriors’ clincher was Gary’s
night. Soon after the Warriors’ win, LeBron James tweeted that Payton
should be awarded the game ball. After the final buzzer sounded,
Payton’s dad was already courtside to greet the player of the game —
“just to say what’s up,” Payton said.

The Glove had been urging from the sideline for the Young Glove to take
his open shots, something the younger Payton isn’t conditioned to do in
the regular season madness.

“Gary has been mad at me probably since high school for passing up
shots. He’ll be alright,” the younger Payton said. “I have guys like
Klay Thompson, Andrew Wiggins, Jordan Poole and Steph Curry on the
floor. So I try to give up a good shot for a great shot.”

The playoffs are a different beast — and on this night, Payton’s good
shots turned into great ones.

--
Shayna Rubin | Oakland Athletics reporter