From: ala...@yahoo.com (Allen)
Newsgroups: alt.sports.basketball.nba.gs-warriors
Subject: BANG/Simon: With rest but no rust, Warriors welcome quick turnaround
for Grizzlies series
Date: Sat, 30 Apr 2022 21:20:03 -0700
 by: Allen - Sun, 1 May 2022 04:20 UTC

With rest but no rust, Warriors welcome quick turnaround for Grizzlies
series
Golden State Warriors practiced in San Francisco on Saturday before
flying to Memphis ahead of Sunday afternoon's Game 1 of Western
Conference semifinals
>SAN FRANCISCO, CALIFORNIA – April 14: Golden State Warrior Stephen
Curry works out at the team’s practice facility, Thursday, April 14,
2022, at Chase Center in San Francisco, Calif. Joining him on the court
was Draymond Green, Jr. (Karl Mondon/Bay Area News Group)
>SAN FRANCISCO, CALIFORNIA – April 14: Golden State Warrior Stephen
Curry works out at the team’s practice facility, Thursday, April 14,
2022, at Chase Center in San Francisco, Calif. Joining him on the court
was Draymond Green, Jr. (Karl Mondon/Bay Area News Group)
By ALEX SIMON | asimon@bayareanewsgroup.com | Bay Area News Group
PUBLISHED: April 30, 2022 at 4:21 p.m. | UPDATED: April 30, 2022 at 4:21
p.m.
https://www.eastbaytimes.com/2022/04/30/with-rest-but-no-rust-warriors-welcome-quick-turnaround-for-grizzlies-series/

The Warriors knew a Grizzlies win on Friday night was going to lead to a
bit of a scramble ahead of Game 1 of the Western Conference semifinals.

But the trade-off for having to get to Memphis for an afternoon tip time
on Sunday is a chance to stay sharp after a quick breather — at least in
coach Steve Kerr’s eyes.

“It’s kind of perfect, in terms of the rhythm — you don’t want nine days
off, but you don’t want 48 hours off,” Kerr said. “It’s good timing for
us. We feel like our players will be in rhythm and we’ve had a couple of
days to prepare now.”

After wrapping up their first round series on Wednesday, the Warriors
were completely off Thursday and had a light practice on Friday. Had
Minnesota forced a Game 7 (which would have been played at the same time
as Game 1), the Warriors likely would have felt the need to scrimmage to
keep their bodies in check.

Instead, Golden State practiced in San Francisco midday Saturday before
heading to the airport for their chartered flight to Memphis. While the
playoffs’ usual schedule tends to give teams multiple days off on travel
days, the Warriors will have a more regular season-esque experience on
Sunday.

“We’ve had situations, like two or three throughout the regular season,
where you get your reps of what is the routine on a schedule like this,”
Curry said. “Practice, fly in and everybody’s got to make sure they get
their rest and doing what they need to do to keep their body fresh.
Then, in the morning, whatever your routine is to get your mind, your
body going as soon as possible to get ready for the game.”

>RELATED ARTICLES
Kurtenbach: The no-rival Warriors have finally found their match in
Memphis
How have rookies fared for Warriors during the playoffs?
Quick Warriors-Grizzlies preview: Golden State to face young,
confident group that goes beyond Morant
Warriors notebook: Why some believe Steph Curry plays better after an
injury
Watch: Steph Curry and daughter Ryan do secret handshake to celebrate
Warriors’ win

Both Curry and Kerr heaped praise on the young Memphis team, who will
start their series against the Warriors less than 48 hours after ending
their first round series in Minneapolis. They even saw similarities to
their own group, back from when they were the younger and higher-seeded
team … facing Memphis in 2015.

“The roles are kind of reversed a little bit. We were the younger team,
they were the more experienced team,” Kerr said, pointing out that none
of the Memphis players from that Grit ‘n’ Grind Grizzlies team are still
on the Memphis roster.

Curry added, “Everything was blossoming at the right time. Then we got
smacked in the mouth, and we had to figure out had to respond. Obviously
that story was a great one, coming out of the end of Game 3 [in 2015]
and figuring out how we turn the series around. Definitely have fond
memories of that, and that was a springboard to a lot of amazing runs.
So hopefully, it brings back some good juice when we get back to Memphis.”

But while the core of Curry, Klay Thompson, Draymond Green and Andre
Iguodala are still around from that matchup in 2015, Golden State will
need several of their younger and inexperienced but more athletic
players — Jordan Poole, Andrew Wiggins, Gary Payton II and potentially
even Jonathan Kuminga — to step up in order to knock off the upstart
Grizzlies.

“[Memphis is] a more athletic team on the wings than Denver was and also
in the back court with Ja [Morant], so it’s a different approach,” Kerr
said. “We’ll definitely need Wiggs and Gary and their speed and their
athleticism to counter that, and JK as well.

“That’s what’s fun about the playoffs — every matchup is different, so
every player has got to stay ready.”

--
Alex Simon