From: ala...@yahoo.com (Allen)
Newsgroups: alt.sports.basketball.nba.gs-warriors
Subject: Kenney:_Warriors_take_Game_1_in_Memphis_after_Green
’s_first_half_ejection
Date: Mon, 2 May 2022 20:29:12 -0700
 by: Allen - Tue, 3 May 2022 03:29 UTC

Warriors take Game 1 in Memphis after Green’s first half ejection
Despite playing the second half without Draymond Green, the Warriors had
the ingredients for success, beating the Grizzlies to take Game 1 of the
Western Conference semifinals.
>MEMPHIS, TENNESSEE – MAY 1: Golden State Warriors’ Jordan Poole (3)
takes a shot against Memphis Grizzlies’ Ja Morant (12) in the second
quarter of Game 1 of the team’s NBA basketball second-round playoff
series at the FedEx Forum in Memphis, Tenn., on Sunday, May 1, 2022.
(Nhat V. Meyer/Bay Area News Group)
>MEMPHIS, TENNESSEE – MAY 1: Golden State Warriors’ Jordan Poole (3)
takes a shot against Memphis Grizzlies’ Ja Morant (12) in the second
quarter of Game 1 of the team’s NBA basketball second-round playoff
series at the FedEx Forum in Memphis, Tenn., on Sunday, May 1, 2022.
(Nhat V. Meyer/Bay Area News Group)
By MADELINE KENNEY | mkenney@bayareanewsgroup.com | Bay Area News Group
PUBLISHED: May 1, 2022 at 3:41 p.m. | UPDATED: May 2, 2022 at 12:53 a.m.
https://www.eastbaytimes.com/2022/05/01/warriors-take-game-1-in-memphis-after-greens-first-half-ejection/

MEMPHIS — If the Warriors were going to win Sunday, they were going to
have to do it without their defensive anchor, Draymond Green.

It’s a tough task for Golden State against any team, but especially when
it’s going toe-to-toe with the speedy and fearless young Grizzlies.

Still, Golden State, fueled by Green’s late second quarter ejection,
found a way to get the job done. It was a hard-fought team effort that
included an outstanding 31-point performance off the bench from Jordan
Poole, clutch shooting from Stephen Curry and Klay Thompson and strong
defense from Gary Payton II and Kevon Looney.

All those ingredients were a recipe for success for the Warriors, who
took Game 1 of the Western Conference Semifinals by narrowly beating the
Grizzlies 117-116 in front of an electric crowd.

Thompson hit a 3-pointer with 37 seconds remaining to put the Warriors
up by one. The Warriors got a critical stop on the other end when Curry
blocked a driving Ja Morant and Poole recovered the ball.

>MEMPHIS, TENNESSEE – MAY 1: Golden State Warriors’ Klay Thompson (11)
celebrates his 3-point basket against the Memphis Grizzlies in the
fourth quarter of Game 1 of the team’s NBA basketball second-round
playoff series at the FedEx Forum in Memphis, Tenn., on Sunday, May 1,
2022. (Nhat V. Meyer/Bay Area News Group)

Thompson had the chance to pad the Warriors’ one-point advantage with
six seconds left but uncharacteristically missed two freebies at the
foul line.

With the clock winding down, Morant tried to make a lightning-quick
driving layup while being defended by both Thompson and Payton, but the
ball rolled off the rim as the buzzer sounded.

“It wasn’t pretty at times, but in the playoffs all that matters is the
final box score and we handled business,” said Thompson, who scored 15
points. “But we’re far from satisfied.”

Green was ejected late in the second quarter when he was slapped with a
flagrant two foul after it appeared he pulled on the collar of Brandon
Clarke as he went for a basket, dragging the Grizzlies forward to the
ground.

Green emphatically told coach Steve Kerr and officials that his hand got
caught in the collar of Clarke’s jersey. Chants of “throw him out”
erupted in FedEx Forum as officials reviewed the play, which was
repeatedly broadcasted on the venue’s jumbotron. The officials
ultimately decided to send Green packing to the locker room for the
contact, much to the dismay of the Warriors, who trailed the Grizzlies
61-55 at the half.

“It’s unfortunate,” Thompson said of Green’s ejection. “We’re not the
same team without him but just incredibly proud of how we responded… We
just responded very well and some things are out of your control but
can’t hang your head.”

Looney provided the defensive ballast for the Warriors in the second
half and ended up playing 10 minutes of the pivotal third quarter.

>MEMPHIS, TENNESSEE – MAY 1: Golden State Warriors’ Stephen Curry (30)
dribbles against Memphis Grizzlies’ De’Anthony Melton (0) in the second
quarter of Game 1 of the team’s NBA basketball second-round playoff
series at the FedEx Forum in Memphis, Tenn., on Sunday, May 1, 2022.
(Nhat V. Meyer/Bay Area News Group)

Golden State opened the second half on a 13-5 run, led by Curry who
scored seven unanswered points to put the Warriors up 68-66, their first
lead since the first quarter. Poole and Curry combined for 23 points in
the third quarter to help the Warriors carry a one-point lead into the
fourth.

Morant commanded his way through the lane that led to crafty finishes at
the rim. And Jaren Jackson Jr. lit it up from beyond the arc in the
third quarter, going 4-for-5 from deep for 14 points. Morant finished
with a game-high 34 points, but it took him 31 shots. He also had 10
assists. Jackson added 33 points and had 10 rebounds.

Looking to add a stronger defensive presence, Kerr started Payton in
place of Poole.

Poole handled the move to the bench like a pro and had his second
30-point game in the playoffs, going 5-for-10 from deep. He also dished
out a team-high nine assists. Curry finished with 24 points and Andrew
Wiggins added 17 points and seven rebounds.

>MEMPHIS, TENNESSEE – MAY 1: Golden State Warriors’ Jordan Poole (3)
takes a shot against Memphis Grizzlies’ Ja Morant (12) in the second
quarter of Game 1 of the team’s NBA basketball second-round playoff
series at the FedEx Forum in Memphis, Tenn., on Sunday, May 1, 2022.
(Nhat V. Meyer/Bay Area News Group)

“We just needed everything from everyone tonight,” Thompson said. “It
was a gutsy win and something we’ll quickly forget because we’re still
hungry to take care of business on Tuesday.”

With the Warriors holding a 1-0 lead, the series will continue Tuesday
with Game 2 in Memphis. Tip-off is scheduled for 6:30 p.m. PT.

>MEMPHIS, TENNESSEE – MAY 1: Golden State Warriors’ Draymond Green (23)
dives for a the ball against Memphis Grizzlies’ Kyle Anderson (1) in the

--
Madeline Kenney | Warriors reporter