From: ala...@yahoo.com (Allen)
Newsgroups: alt.sports.basketball.nba.gs-warriors
Subject: Kenney: Grizzlies beat Warriors in intense, physical Game 2 to even
series
Date: Wed, 4 May 2022 15:41:30 -0700
 by: Allen - Wed, 4 May 2022 22:41 UTC

Grizzlies beat Warriors in intense, physical Game 2 to even series
After taking a 1-0 lead in the Western Conference Semifinals against the
Grizzlies, the Warriors were preparing for what Klay Thompson referred
to as a "physical night in the office" in Game 2 — and they were right
>MEMPHIS, TENNESSEE – MAY 3: Golden State Warriors’ Draymond Green (23)
dribbles against Memphis Grizzlies’ De’Anthony Melton (0) in the second
quarter of Game 2 of an NBA basketball second-round Western Conference
playoff series at the FedEx Forum in Memphis, Tenn., on Tuesday, May 3,
2022. (Nhat V. Meyer/Bay Area News Group)
>MEMPHIS, TENNESSEE – MAY 3: Golden State Warriors’ Draymond Green (23)
dribbles against Memphis Grizzlies’ De’Anthony Melton (0) in the second
quarter of Game 2 of an NBA basketball second-round Western Conference
playoff series at the FedEx Forum in Memphis, Tenn., on Tuesday, May 3,
2022. (Nhat V. Meyer/Bay Area News Group)
By MADELINE KENNEY | mkenney@bayareanewsgroup.com | Bay Area News Group
PUBLISHED: May 3, 2022 at 9:21 p.m. | UPDATED: May 4, 2022 at 4:36 a.m.
https://www.eastbaytimes.com/2022/05/03/grizzlies-beat-warriors-in-intense-physical-game-2-to-even-the-series/

MEMPHIS, Tenn. — After taking a 1-0 lead in the Western Conference
Semifinals against the Grizzlies, the Warriors were preparing for what
Klay Thompson referred to as a “physical night in the office” in Game 2.

“This will be the most physical game we’ll play all year under the
circumstances, who we’re playing, on the road, they’re coming after us,”
coach Steve Kerr said Tuesday after shootaround.

And they were right.

Tension from Game 1 clearly boiled over into Tuesday’s matchup, with the
Grizzlies coming out swinging — literally.

>MEMPHIS, TENNESSEE – MAY 3: Memphis Grizzlies’ Dillon Brooks (24)
fouls Golden State Warriors’ Gary Payton II (0) in the first quarter of
Game 2 of an NBA basketball second-round Western Conference playoff
series at the FedEx Forum in Memphis, Tenn., on Tuesday, May 3, 2022.
Brooks was ejected after the foul. (Nhat V. Meyer/Bay Area News Group)

Less than three minutes into the Grizzlies’ intense 106-101 victory,
Dillon Brooks wound up and hit Gary Payton II in the head as the
starting guard went for a layup. The contact sent Payton crashing to the
ground where he landed directly on his left (shooting) arm, and the
Warriors were furious.

“That wasn’t physical, that was dirty,” Kerr said during an in-game
interview with TNT after the first quarter.

Brooks was ultimately assessed a Flagrant 2 foul and ejected in the same
matter Draymond Green was ejected two days prior.

Payton split a pair of free throws, giving the Warriors their first
point of the game the Grizzlies opened on a 8-0 run, and then went to
the locker room. He was later ruled out for the remainder of the game
with a left elbow injury and underwent an X-ray.

>MEMPHIS, TENNESSEE – MAY 3: Golden State Warriors’ Draymond Green (23)
reacts after being hit in the head during their game against the Memphis
Grizzlies in the first quarter of Game 2 of an NBA basketball
second-round Western Conference playoff series at the FedEx Forum in
Memphis, Tenn., on Tuesday, May 3, 2022. (Nhat V. Meyer/Bay Area News
Group)

Green was injured less than 10 seconds later after Xavier Tillman
elbowed him in the face contesting a rebound. The Warriors star went to
the locker room to receive stitches on an eye cut and re-entered the
game to start the second quarter. He finished with six points, 10
rebounds and seven assists.

The hits didn’t stop coming as both teams played an extremely physical
game, disrupting passing lanes, forcing turnovers and battling under the
basket for rebounds. Bodies were crashing left and right throughout the
game.

Late in the third quarter, Ja Morant was hit in the face. Tyus Jones
passed the ball to the Grizzlies star to take the final shot of the
quarter, but he sent it back, saying he couldn’t see out of his eye.
Morant went to the locker room at the end of the third quarter. He came
back for the fourth, where he took over the game scoring 18 of his
game-high 47 points.

After being down by 11 in the third, the Warriors were able to battle
back and tie the game at 77 entering the fourth, during which the two
never led by more than four until the last minute.

>MEMPHIS, TENNESSEE – MAY 3: Golden State Warriors’ Andrew Wiggins (22)
fights for the ball against Memphis Grizzlies’ Ja Morant (12) in the
third quarter of Game 2 of an NBA basketball second-round Western
Conference playoff series at the FedEx Forum in Memphis, Tenn., on
Tuesday, May 3, 2022. (Nhat V. Meyer/Bay Area News Group)

Morant sank a pair of free throws with 13 seconds remaining to give the
Grizzlies a five-point advantage.

Tuesday was the Warriors’ worst perimeter shooting nights of the
postseason as they collectively shot 7-for-38 (18.4%) from 3-point
range. Thompson needed 19 shots to get 12 points and he converted on
only two of his 12 3-point attempts.

Stephen Curry led Warriors scorers with 27 points. He also had nine
rebounds and eight assists. Meanwhile, Jordan Poole added 20 points off
the bench, going 1-of-6 from deep.

>MEMPHIS, TENNESSEE – MAY 3: Golden State Warriors’ Stephen Curry (30)
passes the ball against the Memphis Grizzlies in the first quarter of
Game 2 of an NBA basketball second-round Western Conference playoff
series at the FedEx Forum in Memphis, Tenn., on Tuesday, May 3, 2022.
(Nhat V. Meyer/Bay Area News Group)

The undersized Warriors were bracing for the Grizzlies to play with
physicality, especially knowing that the young team thrives by forcing
turnovers, scoring in transition and rebounding.

“You can’t let your guard down, you can’t let people run by you when the
shot goes up, you can’t ball watch, you gotta find a body and do your
job, box out,” Kerr said before the game. “If there’s a ball on the
floor, you gotta go get it. They pride themselves on winning the hustle
points, the hustle battle, they’ve done that all year long.”

The Warriors again won the battle of the boards, out-rebounding the
Grizzlies 52-47, but it wasn’t enough.

But the Grizzlies were able to even the series before it heads to San
Francisco. Game 3 is scheduled for Saturday at Chase Center. Tip-off is
scheduled for 5:30 p.m.

>MEMPHIS, TENNESSEE – MAY 3: Golden State Warriors’ Draymond Green (23)
reacts to a turnover next to Memphis Grizzlies’ Xavier Tillman Sr. (2)

--
Madeline Kenney | Warriors reporter