From: ala...@yahoo.com (Allen)
Newsgroups: alt.sports.basketball.nba.gs-warriors
Subject: Kurtenbach: The Warriors need more from Klay Thompson to beat the
Grizzlies
Date: Wed, 4 May 2022 15:54:44 -0700
 by: Allen - Wed, 4 May 2022 22:54 UTC

Kurtenbach: The Warriors need more from Klay Thompson to beat the Grizzlies
Golden State Warriors playoffs: Slumping on both offense and defense,
Klay Thompson needs to find his game to take pressure off Steph Curry,
Jordan Poole.
>MEMPHIS, TENNESSEE – MAY 3: Golden State Warriors’ Klay Thompson (11)
walks on the court against the Memphis Grizzlies late in the fourth
quarter of Game 2 of an NBA basketball second-round Western Conference
playoff series at the FedEx Forum in Memphis, Tenn., on Tuesday, May 3,
2022. (Nhat V. Meyer/Bay Area News Group)
>MEMPHIS, TENNESSEE – MAY 3: Golden State Warriors’ Klay Thompson (11)
walks on the court against the Memphis Grizzlies late in the fourth
quarter of Game 2 of an NBA basketball second-round Western Conference
playoff series at the FedEx Forum in Memphis, Tenn., on Tuesday, May 3,
2022. (Nhat V. Meyer/Bay Area News Group)
By DIETER KURTENBACH | dkurtenbach@bayareanewsgroup.com | Bay Area News
Group
PUBLISHED: May 4, 2022 at 1:53 p.m. | UPDATED: May 4, 2022 at 2:03 p.m.
https://www.eastbaytimes.com/2022/05/04/kurtenbach-the-warriors-need-more-from-klay-thompson-to-beat-the-grizzlies/

Andre Iguodala grabbed Klay Thompson at the end of the Warriors’ Game 1
win over the Memphis Grizzlies.

“Keep your composure,” the Warriors’ sidelined veteran told Thompson.

“I played angry,” Thompson said after Game 1.

Whether he was in that same state for Game 2 is unknown, but what’s
indisputable with the semifinal series heading back to the Bay tied 1-1
is that the Warriors need Thompson to play better.

The numbers are damning.

The eye test is tougher.

And if this kind of play continues in Game 3 and beyond, the Warriors’
season will not last much longer.

>(Nhat V. Meyer/Bay Area News Group)

There are plenty of reasons to explain Thompson’s poor play as of late —
anger, leg injuries, or even his new knee knock, picked up in the final
moments of Game 1 — but whether those excuses are still needed in a few
days will tell us everything about the Warriors and their chances of
winning a title this season.

And yes, the onus falls on Thompson. Gary Payton’s absence will test the
Warriors’ defense and the Grizzlies are pushing around Steph Curry and
Jordan Poole when the Dubs have the ball. Thompson is one Warrior who
can pick up the slack in both areas.

Scratch that — he’s the one Warrior who needs to pick up the slack in
both areas.

In the regular season, it’d be easy to look to Andrew Wiggins to up his
game, but he’s been marvelous in the postseason. What more can you ask
of No. 22?

Now it’s Thompson who is slumping.

>(Nhat V. Meyer/Bay Area News Group)

>RELATED ARTICLES
Bruised Warriors look to rebound from Game 2 loss without their ace
defensive guard
NBA rulebook: What’s the difference between Flagrant 1 and Flagrant 2?
Kurtenbach: Warriors need to make Grizzlies pay for dirty play
Draymond Green responds to booing fans after injury: ‘It felt really
good to flip them off’
Warriors coach Steve Kerr on Gary Payton II injury: ‘Dillon Brooks
broke the code’

Over his last three games, the second Splash Brother has been a
bricklayer. He’s made only 16 of his last 51 shots (31 percent) and 6 of
28 3-pointers (21 percent).

I don’t need to tell you that those numbers won’t help the Warriors win
games.

There is one area for clear improvement on the offensive side —
regression to the mean, even: In the last three games, 24 of Thompson’s
28 3-point attempts have been open looks where the defender is four-plus
feet away.

He’s shooting 21 percent on those shots.

It’s hard to imagine that lasting.

Then again, it’s hard to imagine three straight games of Thompson
missing open shots, too.

But just as critical to the Warriors’ success moving forward in this
series and beyond is Thompson’s defense.

While he remains a quality team defender, Thompson is looking more and
more like a one-on-one liability on that end of the court.

Through seven games this postseason, Thompson is allowing his primary
mark to shoot 53.8 percent against him — five percentage points higher
than the expected field-goal percentage of those players, per the NBA’s
official stats.

That difference of five percent is far and away the worst of any player
Warriors coach Steve Kerr has played in all seven postseason games.

And for reference, defensive genius Draymond Green is at minus-11.2
percent this postseason. Gary Payton II was at minus-5.1 percent before
his injury.

Thompson’s statistical defensive decline — which is easy to corroborate
with the eye test — shows the difference between the regular-season and
postseason basketball.

>(Nhat V. Meyer/Bay Area News Group)

Thompson was a solid defender in the regular season. Opponents only shot
41 percent against him in the regular season, a minus-5.3 percent
rating. The 10-percentage-point swing from the regular season to
postseason might be a small-sample-size mirage, but it’s more likely a
byproduct of the increased intent opposing offenses show in the playoffs.

Now, with Payton out and the Warriors down one of their two reliable
perimeter defenders for big moments, Thompson’s defense needs to reach a
new level.

A level we haven’t seen in Games 1 and 2.

Denver didn’t have the dudes to do it, but the Grizzlies have honed in
on Thompson, attacking him and his limited side-to-side movement.

Grizzlies point guard Ja Morant has taken a particular liking to
Thompson. He was running high pick-and-rolls to specifically switch onto
Thompson late in Games 1 and 2.

The Warriors tried to counter by putting Thompson in the corner — making
it harder for him to be pulled into the action — but that left Curry or
Poole an island.

Curry is an underrated defender, but that’s not a viable model for
success for the Dubs, especially considering the Warriors’ foul troubles
in this series and their now more-limited rotation.

Primary perimeter defender was a role Thompson played as well as anyone
before he tore his ACL in the 2019 NBA Finals and his Achilles tendon in
November 2020.

Now he’s about to be thrust back into it.

He’s about to be thrust back into it all.

The Warriors need Thompson to play like the All-Star he once was. The
all-time great he is.

This team’s margin for error is too slim against Memphis. It’ll be even
thinner if they advance to the Western Conference Finals.

And that means, ready or not, Thompson’s feeling-out period has to come
to an end.