From: ala...@yahoo.com (Allen)
Newsgroups: alt.sports.basketball.nba.gs-warriors
Subject: Kurtenbach: One game? Dillon Brooks deserved a longer suspension for
his bush-league foul on Gary Payton II
Date: Thu, 5 May 2022 18:28:52 -0700
 by: Allen - Fri, 6 May 2022 01:28 UTC

Kurtenbach: One game? Dillon Brooks deserved a longer suspension for his
bush-league foul on Gary Payton II
Golden State Warriors: Gary Payton II will likely miss the rest of the
NBA playoffs with a broken elbow. Dillon Brook, the guy who broke it,
will only miss one game. That's not right.
>MEMPHIS, TENNESSEE – MAY 3: Memphis Grizzlies’ Dillon Brooks (24)
fouls Golden State Warriors’ Gary Payton II (0) in the first quarter of
Game 2 of an NBA basketball second-round Western Conference playoff
series at the FedEx Forum in Memphis, Tenn., on Tuesday, May 3, 2022.
Brooks was ejected after the foul. (Nhat V. Meyer/Bay Area News Group)
>MEMPHIS, TENNESSEE – MAY 3: Memphis Grizzlies’ Dillon Brooks (24)
fouls Golden State Warriors’ Gary Payton II (0) in the first quarter of
Game 2 of an NBA basketball second-round Western Conference playoff
series at the FedEx Forum in Memphis, Tenn., on Tuesday, May 3, 2022.
Brooks was ejected after the foul. (Nhat V. Meyer/Bay Area News Group)
By DIETER KURTENBACH | dkurtenbach@bayareanewsgroup.com | Bay Area News
Group
PUBLISHED: May 5, 2022 at 2:13 p.m. | UPDATED: May 5, 2022 at 2:22 p.m.
https://www.eastbaytimes.com/2022/05/05/kurtenbach-one-game-dillon-brooks-deserved-a-longer-suspension-for-his-bush-league-foul-on-gary-payton-ii/

The NBA announced Thursday that Grizzlies wing Dillon Brooks has been
suspended for Game 3 of Memphis and Golden State’s Western Conference
semifinal series for breaking Gary Payton II’s elbow on Tuesday.

It’s not enough.

He deserved to miss the rest of the series.

Brooks’ bush-league hack on Gary Payton II’s head as the Warriors guard
went for a layup early in Game 2 Tuesday led to Payton breaking his
elbow, in all likelihood ending his postseason.

It wasn’t an accident. You can’t pass off Brooks’ hack as a poorly timed
attempt that the ball. Brooks barely jumped and never came close to the
ball. He wound up and no one can convince me he wasn’t aiming for
Payton’s head.

And while I don’t think Brooks’ goal was to seriously injure Payton, he
certainly did something premeditated and unnatural on a basketball court
that inherently carried the risk of injury.

What did he think was going to happen?

The same question can be asked of me and anyone else who expected Brooks
to be given an appropriate suspension.

One game is the absolute least the NBA could have suspended Brooks. It
just doesn’t sit right that Brooks will be on the floor in Game 4 and
beyond while Payton will be on the bench in a cast.

But by not coming down hard on Brooks — by doing the bare minimum — the
league is setting up the rest of this series to be a brutal mess.

An ejection and a one-game suspension for that?

Outside of decency — a good deal of which has already been tossed aside
in the two games already played his series — what’s to stop a Warriors
player from taking out Ja Morant mid-air now? What’s stopping someone
from diving into Steph Curry’s knee?

There’s a difference between hard-nosed and dirty. The Warriors have
been in enough playoff series to have seen it all. There are PJ Tuckers
(plays hard, throws a few elbows, dives for loose balls, but deserves
respect) and Matthew Dellavedova (scrappy to the point of dangerous).

Did the inexperienced Grizzlies receive a lesson in the difference
between the two from the Brooks incident?

I don’t think so.

In criminology, there’s a “broken windows” theory. In short, it’s the
belief that “if a window in a building is broken and is left unrepaired,
all the rest of the windows will soon be broken.”

Now, the theory is not without valid criticism in the real world.

But I think it can apply to the basketball court and this situation.

Some teams — usually less talented ones — are always looking for the
line of acceptability when it comes to physicality, especially in the
playoffs.

Now, Brooks clearly crossed the line. But did his ejection and one-game
suspension create any dissuasion?

Not a chance.

>RELATED ARTICLES
What the Warriors are saying about Gary Payton II’s injury and Dillon
Brooks’ suspension
Grizzlies’ Brooks suspended for Game 3 vs. Warriors; Draymond fined
for gesture to Memphis crowd
Warriors give timeline on injuries to Iguodala and Payton
How will the Warriors defend Ja Morant with Payton out?
Kurtenbach: The Warriors need more from Klay Thompson to beat the
Grizzlies

The NBA’s weak enforcement of Brooks’ foul will encourage Memphis to
continue its whack-a-Dub strategy for the rest of this series. The
Warriors might get in on the action, too, though I don’t know if anyone
but Draymond Green is built for such a fight.

A home-court whistle in San Francisco could mitigate the effects a bit,
but the physicality will remain the same if indeed it isn’t ramped up in
the games to come. And with this series looking destined to go six or
seven games, that’s either going to create an unwatchable,
whistle-filled slog of a series or it’s going to be a downright
dangerous environment to hoop.

Neither is a good outcome. Neither is befitting of this stage.

The NBA playoffs have always been a war of attrition. The games are
simply too intense. The burdens on players are too great. Stress and
exhaustion can do some crazy stuff to the body.

This series looks like it will take that truth to a whole new level.

I hope I’m wrong. I hope the nastiness is behind us — that it’ll be
physical, but respectful, the rest of the way. Because if it isn’t, this
series will not be discussed as a great battle between two excellent
teams. No, it’ll be referred to as a scourge on the game.