From: ala...@yahoo.com (Allen)
Newsgroups: alt.sports.basketball.nba.gs-warriors
Subject: Kurtenbach: Warriors-Grizzlies is a war no one will truly win
Date: Sat, 7 May 2022 21:55:31 -0700
 by: Allen - Sun, 8 May 2022 04:55 UTC

Kurtenbach: Warriors-Grizzlies is a war no one will truly win
Warriors – Grizzlies: The physical toll taken from two games has been
immense and neither Golden State nor Memphis can continue to play this
way if they want to reach their ultimate goal.
>MEMPHIS, TENNESSEE – MAY 3: Golden State Warriors’ Stephen Curry (30)
hits the floor after being fouled by the Memphis Grizzlies in the first
quarter of Game 2 of an NBA basketball second-round Western Conference
playoff series at the FedEx Forum in Memphis, Tenn., on Tuesday, May 3,
2022. (Nhat V. Meyer/Bay Area News Group)
>MEMPHIS, TENNESSEE – MAY 3: Golden State Warriors’ Stephen Curry (30)
hits the floor after being fouled by the Memphis Grizzlies in the first
quarter of Game 2 of an NBA basketball second-round Western Conference
playoff series at the FedEx Forum in Memphis, Tenn., on Tuesday, May 3,
2022. (Nhat V. Meyer/Bay Area News Group)
By DIETER KURTENBACH | dkurtenbach@bayareanewsgroup.com | Bay Area News
Group
PUBLISHED: May 6, 2022 at 1:00 p.m. | UPDATED: May 6, 2022 at 2:00 p.m.
https://www.eastbaytimes.com/2022/05/06/kurtenbach-warriors-grizzlies-is-a-war-no-one-will-truly-win/

While there is certainly some beauty and entertainment to be found in
the level of physicality of the Warriors and Grizzlies in their
second-round playoff series, the truth is that is a war of attrition and
there will be no winner.

Instead of calling fouls, these two teams should call a truce, before
this becomes a series of mutually assured destruction of both bodies and
title chances.

Whichever team advances to the next round will play a Phoenix team that
is making easy work of the Dallas Mavericks in their second-round series
and will feast on a battered and bruised opponent in the Western
Conference Finals.

Is Phoenix a better team than the Warriors? There is a debate to be had
there.

But a healthy and cruising Suns team is certainly better than whatever
edition of the Warriors or Grizzlies will limp into the next round.

The Warriors have taken more of a beating to date, which, in a twisted
way, will likely extend this second-round series six or seven games,
increasing the likelihood that someone else is sidelined should the Dubs
advance.

Gary Payton II is out for in all likelihood the remainder of the
postseason with a broken elbow thanks to Dillon Brooks’ flagrant foul in
Game 2. Andre Iguodala has a cervical injury that will keep him
sidelined at least til Game 5. Draymond Green’s vision is impaired in
his right eye, which is swollen and required stitches after an elbow in
Game 2. Klay Thompson looks gassed, Steph Curry and Jordan Poole are
being battered by the Grizzlies’ interior defense, and who knows how
long it takes the team’s one true center, Kevon Looney, to get out of
bed in the morning.

Now, the Grizzlies are taking their licks, too. Ja Morant was poked in
the eye in Game 2 and claimed after the contest that he lost his
peripheral vision because of it. While some skepticism should be applied
to his comments, there’s no questioning that must have hurt. Meanwhile,
Desmond Bane’s back has tightened up; he played in Game 2 but was a
shell of his normal self, scoring only five points. After a manic
six-game series with the Minnesota Timberwolves in the first round, you
know the inexperienced Grizzlies are feeling the first two games of this
series, too.

Expect the body count to increase as the series continues.

If blame had to be assigned for why this series has been so physical, so
taxing, it would have to be applied to the Grizzlies. Grit-and-grind
isn’t just a cool marketing slogan, it’s their way of basketball and
they’ve been practicing for years.

Memphis’ roster is built for bumping. It’s filled with dudes that are
not just wide, but deep, too. Length might be the top defensive
characteristic in this era of perimeter play but thickness matters, too.
These Grizzlies have some heft and have no problem throwing it around.
The return of the gargantuan Steven Adams, all 7 feet and 260-plus
pounds of him, only adds another bruiser — the ultimate batterer — to
the mix.

The Warriors have struggled to match that physicality, but they have a
few guys who can throw themselves around as well. Green, Looney and Otto
Porter have all played bigger than their listed sizes, but there is a
toll to be paid for that.

And while that toll might not be paid over the next week, it will come due.

I’m not sure these Warriors can pay it.

>RELATED ARTICLES
Grizzlies coach calls out Jordan Poole for Ja Morant’s knee injury
Warriors take series lead vs. Grizzlies after dominant Game 3 win
Without Payton, Warriors reveal starting lineup for Game 3 against
Memphis
Warriors-Grizzlies live updates: Warriors put on historic offensive
onslaught to win Game 3
Warriors: Can Chase Center become “Roaracle” in time to help beat
Grizzlies?

In years past, the Warriors could handle the beating of the playoffs
because they were on a different talent level than any other team.

Down Kevin Durant? No problem, Steph Curry, Klay Thompson and Draymond
Green were still around, as was a formidable bench. When the Warriors
finally did meet their match in the playoffs, it was five years into the
dynasty and they were so banged up that they were playing 6-foot guard
Quinn Cook at power forward and giving now-NBA journeyman Alfonzo
McKinnie serious minutes. They still nearly forced a Game 7 of the NBA
Finals they were convinced they would have won in Toronto, because the
Raptors were just as bruised and battered as them.

But this is the second round and this is a team that’s on the level with
the league’s best teams, not a level above the rest like in the past.

The Warriors still have tremendous gumption — that championship DNA —
but we’re going to find out over the next week if their bodies are as
tough as their minds.