From 0 to "what seems to be the problem officer" in 8.3 seconds. -- Ad for the new VW Corrado

sport / alt.sports.basketball.nba.gs-warriors / Kenney: What the Warriors are missing with Andre Iguodala out

SubjectAuthor
o Kenney: What the Warriors are missing with Andre Iguodala outAllen

1
Kenney: What the Warriors are missing with Andre Iguodala out

<t57imv$rm9$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/sport/article-flat.php?id=3833&group=alt.sports.basketball.nba.gs-warriors#3833

From: ala...@yahoo.com (Allen)
Newsgroups: alt.sports.basketball.nba.gs-warriors
Subject: Kenney: What the Warriors are missing with Andre Iguodala out
Date: Sat, 7 May 2022 21:59:13 -0700
 by: Allen - Sun, 8 May 2022 04:59 UTC

What the Warriors are missing with Andre Iguodala out
While Andre Iguodala continues to make positive progress in recovering
from a disc injury in his neck, the seasoned veteran has been ruled out
for at least another week, meaning he'll miss Game 3, 4 and 5 of the
Western Conference semifinals series.
>SAN FRANCISCO, CALIFORNIA – APRIL 27: Golden State Warriors’ Andre
Iguodala (9) talks with Golden State Warriors’ Jordan Poole (3) during a
time-out against the Denver Nuggets in the second quarter of Game 5 of
the team’s NBA basketball first-round playoff series at the Chase Center
in San Francisco, Calif., on Wednesday, April 27, 2022. (Nhat V.
Meyer/Bay Area News Group)
>SAN FRANCISCO, CALIFORNIA – APRIL 27: Golden State Warriors’ Andre
Iguodala (9) talks with Golden State Warriors’ Jordan Poole (3) during a
time-out against the Denver Nuggets in the second quarter of Game 5 of
the team’s NBA basketball first-round playoff series at the Chase Center
in San Francisco, Calif., on Wednesday, April 27, 2022. (Nhat V.
Meyer/Bay Area News Group)
By MADELINE KENNEY | mkenney@bayareanewsgroup.com | Bay Area News Group
PUBLISHED: May 6, 2022 at 4:41 p.m. | UPDATED: May 6, 2022 at 5:15 p.m.
https://www.eastbaytimes.com/2022/05/06/what-the-warriors-are-missing-with-andre-iguodala-out/

SAN FRANCISCO — While Andre Iguodala continues to make progress in
recovering from a disc injury in his neck, the veteran has been ruled
out for at least another week, meaning he’ll miss Games 3, 4 and 5 of
the Western Conference semifinals series.

Coach Steve Kerr is hopeful that Iguodala, 38, will be able to return at
some point during the playoffs. But the Warriors aren’t banking on his
return.

“I don’t think anybody’s assuming he’s coming back,” Draymond Green said
Friday after practice. “If he comes back, great. It’d be fantastic but…
you can’t just wait on that. You have to move forward.”

The Warriors signed Iguodala last offseason to a one-year deal giving
him an opportunity to end his career with the franchise. Golden State
knew Iguodala wasn’t the same player he was during his first run with
the team from 2013-19, but the Warriors saw his value as a defender and
as a backup playmaker.

Injuries hampered Iguodala throughout the regular season, limiting him
to just 31 games.

“It hurts him to not be able to play but this is the reality of where he
is in his career and the mileage he has on his body,” Kerr said of
Iguodala being sidelined by his most recent injury, an issue with his
left cervical disc. “He’s done so much for this organization, he wants
to do more, but the reality is his body hasn’t held up. We’re hoping to
get him back.”

Added Stephen Curry, “This year it’s been tough on him… trying to be
available first and foremost with where he is in his career, it’s been a
long year for him [going] back and forth with rehab and all that, and I
think the hope is that come this time of year, he can be at his peak.
And he hasn’t had the opportunity to do that.”

Iguodala brings tremendous value to the Warriors even if he’s not able
to play. He’s a valuable voice in the locker room and during games. He
also serves as a mentor to the younger players, like Jonathan Kuminga
and Moses Moody.

>RELATED ARTICLES
Grizzlies coach calls out Jordan Poole for Ja Morant’s knee injury
Warriors take series lead vs. Grizzlies after dominant Game 3 win
Without Payton, Warriors reveal starting lineup for Game 3 against
Memphis
Warriors-Grizzlies live updates: Warriors put on historic offensive
onslaught to win Game 3
Warriors: Can Chase Center become “Roaracle” in time to help beat
Grizzlies?

Still, his presence on the court and high basketball IQ are obviously
missed.

“It’s been different,” Green said. “That’s someone you can always turn
to to settle things down… and just his smarts and his experience and the
skill that he brings, that’s definitely missed. And you’re replacing
[his] 17 years of experience, you’re replacing that with a half a year
of experience, with two years of experience, that’s just a totally
different look.

“We know when the playoffs roll around, you can turn to him and he’s
going to be able to provide whatever it is that we need. And so to not
have that, it’s a huge, huge loss. And this is one that we’re trying to
overcome, but it’s difficult. He brings a lot to this team.”

If Iguodala does get cleared to play, Curry doesn’t think it’ll take him
long to adjust to game speed.

“The good thing about him is he doesn’t need much transition time to
make his presence felt just the way he plays and his approach to the
game,” Curry said. “So we are banking on that if he can get healthy.”

The key word is “if.”

- Dillon Brooks, suspended for one game for a flagrant foul in Game 2
that caused Gary Payton II to fracture his elbow, was not made available
to media on Thursday or Friday.

His rookie teammate, Zaire Williams, was asked how the team felt about
Kerr’s assertion that Brooks’ foul was dirty.

“We all know DB is not a dirty player,” he said. “Of course, it may seem
that way, but DB would never hurt somebody intentionally. That’s my vet,
that’s my big brother. Knowing him personally, I know for a fact he
wouldn’t do something like that intentionally. It’s unfortunate that he
got injured and I’m praying for his recovery and health, but we’re just
trying to win this game and move on.

“You look from each other’s perspective. If one of our players go hurt,
we’d probably be saying the same thing.”

Staff writer Shayna Rubin contributed reporting.

--
Madeline Kenney | Warriors reporter