From: ala...@yahoo.com (Allen)
Newsgroups: alt.sports.basketball.nba.gs-warriors
Subject: Kenney:_Otto_Porter_Jr._emerging_as_Warriors’
_dark_horse_in_series_vs._Grizzlies
Date: Sun, 8 May 2022 20:40:13 -0700
 by: Allen - Mon, 9 May 2022 03:40 UTC

What a bonanza for the Warriors OPJ has been! <3 -AL

Otto Porter Jr. emerging as Warriors’ dark horse in series vs. Grizzlies
Warriors will rely on Otto Porter Jr. more going forward with Gary
Payton II and Andre Iguodala injured
>Golden State Warriors forward Otto Porter Jr. (32) shoots between
Memphis Grizzlies guard De’Anthony Melton (0) and forward Dillon Brooks
(24) in the second half during Game 1 of a second-round NBA basketball
playoff series Sunday, May 1, 2022, in Memphis, Tenn. (AP Photo/Brandon
Dill)
>Golden State Warriors forward Otto Porter Jr. (32) shoots between
Memphis Grizzlies guard De’Anthony Melton (0) and forward Dillon Brooks
(24) in the second half during Game 1 of a second-round NBA basketball
playoff series Sunday, May 1, 2022, in Memphis, Tenn. (AP Photo/Brandon
Dill)
By MADELINE KENNEY | mkenney@bayareanewsgroup.com | Bay Area News Group
PUBLISHED: May 8, 2022 at 5:00 a.m. | UPDATED: May 8, 2022 at 1:09 p.m.
https://www.eastbaytimes.com/2022/05/08/otto-porter-jr-emerging-as-warriors-dark-horse-in-series-vs-grizzlies/

SAN FRANCISCO — Being from St. Louis, Otto Porter Jr. grew up going to
Grizzlies games in the nearest NBA arena, four hours south. So to be
back in Memphis, Tennessee, for the first two games of the Warriors’
Western Conference semifinals series was special for the nine-year veteran.

“It’s kind of surreal because now my family can watch me play in the
arena that we’ve been going to all these years,” Porter said. “Just a
great environment, like a dream come true for me.”

But Porter’s once-beloved childhood team — he looked up to a Rudy Gay as
a teenager — has now become enemy No. 1 for him and his current team in
a drama-filled series. And Porter has been key in the Warriors taking a
2-1 lead over the Grizzlies.

Through three games, Porter has emerged as a surprise contributor for
Golden State, and he’s taken on a grander role with Gary Payton II (left
elbow fracture) and Andre Iguodala (neck injury) sidelined for the
foreseeable future.

>SAN FRANCISCO, CALIFORNIA – MAY 7: Golden State Warriors’ Kevon Looney
and Otto Porter Jr battle for a rebound with the Memphis Grizzlies’
Brandon Clarke in the first quarter of Game 3 of a second-round NBA
basketball playoff series at Chase Center in San Francisco, Calif., on
Saturday, May 7, 2022. (Karl Mondon/Bay Area News Group)

The Warriors have outscored the Grizzlies by 49 points when Porter is on
the floor in this series. He had his most impactful game of the
postseason in Saturday night’s blowout win, during which he scored 13
points, made three 3-pointers, grabbed four defensive rebounds and
handed out three assists in 24 minutes.

“It’s not a coincidence,” coach Steve Kerr said of Porter finishing
plus-30 in Game 3 of the best-of-seven. “He just understands how to
play. He’s in the right spot all the time, he’s made a huge impact on
our team.”

Porter played so well in the first half Saturday that Kerr opted to swap
him in at the beginning of the second half for rookie Johnathan Kuminga,
who started the game in Payton’s place.

And it’s worth noting that Porter’s impressive effort Saturday followed
a solid outing in Game 2, during which he finished with four points and
nine rebounds.

So it leads one to wonder: Could Porter start Game 4 on Monday night?

It can’t be ruled out, but it’s clear the shorthanded Warriors will
continue to lean on Porter going forward.

Draymond Green called Porter a “very steady force” for the team.

“All year he’s been a guy that makes the right play, he knows where to
be on the floor, he rebounds very well,” Green said. “He doesn’t take
much risk.”

>RELATED ARTICLES
Warriors assistant Brown will be Kings’ next head coach, per report
Warriors: Why Jonathan Kuminga thinks he’s the ‘luckiest’ player
Grizzlies coach: ‘Really good chance’ Morant misses Game 4 vs.
Warriors with knee injury
Kerr not surprised by Memphis weatherman’s tweet about Draymond
Green: ‘This is America’
Photos: Warriors dominate Grizzlies in pivotal Game 3

Klay Thompson shared Green’s belief in Porter.

“Otto, you can’t leave him open. He’s an incredible shooter and has been
his whole career,” Thompson said. “What impresses me is his ability to
rebound. He got some really great second-chance opportunities for us and
he’s a great teammate and he’s a true pro, a true testament to our
strength in numbers mantra. He might not have the shots go down the
first couple games, but he’s a real pro and just stuck with it.”

Porter has dealt with his fair share of injuries throughout the course
of his career. He signed a one-year contract for the $2.4 million
veteran minimum with the Warriors this offseason, which has become one
of the better steals of free agency.

“We knew that he was capable of that because we had seen him have great
success in the league, but we didn’t know with the injury history the
last couple years. So the big thing was when he started out the season
healthy and he showed what he could do, it was obvious that he was a
great fit for us,” Kerr said. “Whether he was making shots or not, he’s
just a great player. He understands the game, he’s a rebounder, he moves
the ball [well]. Otto just knows how to play, he’s a really good fit
with us.”

--
Madeline Kenney | Warriors reporter