From: ala...@yahoo.com (Allen)
Newsgroups: alt.sports.basketball.nba.gs-warriors
Subject: Kenney:_Kerr_not_surprised_by_Memphis_weatherman
’s_tweet_about_Draymond_Green:_‘This_is_America

Date: Sun, 8 May 2022 20:51:41 -0700
 by: Allen - Mon, 9 May 2022 03:51 UTC

Outrageously racist! -AL

Kerr not surprised by Memphis weatherman’s tweet about Draymond Green:
‘This is America’
Steve Kerr isn't on Twitter, so he didn't see the comment about Warriors
star Draymond Green
>MEMPHIS, TENNESSEE – MAY 2: Golden State Warriors head coach Steve
Kerr talks to the media during a press conference the day before Game 2
of an NBA basketball second-round Western Conference playoff series at
the FedEx Forum in Memphis, Tenn., on Monday, May 2, 2022. (Nhat V.
Meyer/Bay Area News Group)
>MEMPHIS, TENNESSEE – MAY 2: Golden State Warriors head coach Steve
Kerr talks to the media during a press conference the day before Game 2
of an NBA basketball second-round Western Conference playoff series at
the FedEx Forum in Memphis, Tenn., on Monday, May 2, 2022. (Nhat V.
Meyer/Bay Area News Group)
By MADELINE KENNEY | mkenney@bayareanewsgroup.com | Bay Area News Group
PUBLISHED: May 8, 2022 at 2:41 p.m. | UPDATED: May 8, 2022 at 2:41 p.m.
https://www.eastbaytimes.com/2022/05/08/kerr-not-surprised-by-memphis-weathermans-tweet-about-draymond-green-this-is-america/

SAN FRANCISCO — Steve Kerr on Sunday said he wasn’t surprised to learn
that a Memphis weatherman had used racist language in a tweet when
referencing Draymond Green in Game 3 of the Western Conference semifinals.

Joey Sulipeck, the chief meteorologist at FOX13 WHBQ-TV in Memphis, took
to Twitter Saturday night to express displeasure with Grizzlies forward
Kyle Anderson being ejected in the third quarter of the Warriors’
blowout win after receiving back-to-back technical fouls for shouting at
referees. In the tweet, which has since been deleted, Sulipeck used a
derogatory term associated with primates to describe Green, who’s always
vocal with officials throughout the game.

“Draymond Green runs his (expletive) mouth ALL GAME LONG, but
mild-mannered Kyle Anderson disputes one call and gets ejected?”
Sulipeck wrote.

The weatherman received immediate backlash and later went on to disable
his Twitter account.

Kerr said he hadn’t seen the tweet because he hasn’t been on Twitter for
over a year.

“It’s been blissful,” Kerr said of his Twitter hiatus, “and I highly
recommend it.”

Still, he wasn’t shocked to learn of the social media post.

“Does it surprise me that a weatherman would tweet a slur at Draymond in
2022? Not in the slightest,” Kerr said. “This is America. This is how we
operate.”

After the game, Green responded to the tweet on his Instagram story.

>RELATED ARTICLES
Warriors assistant Brown will be Kings’ next head coach, per report
Warriors: Why Jonathan Kuminga thinks he’s the ‘luckiest’ player
Grizzlies coach: ‘Really good chance’ Morant misses Game 4 vs.
Warriors with knee injury
Photos: Warriors dominate Grizzlies in pivotal Game 3
Photos: Warriors' dominate Game 3 win

“Are you surprised?” Green wrote while sharing a post that detailed the
incident. “Don’t apologize. STAND ON IT!”

On another slide that showed a screenshot of the tweet, Green wrote:
“Just make him STAND ON WORD!” He also added that people shouldn’t be
allowed to just hide in the bushes anymore.

A representative at FOX13 WHBQ-TV declined to comment Saturday.

--
Madeline Kenney | Warriors reporter