From: ala...@yahoo.com (Allen)
Newsgroups: alt.sports.basketball.nba.gs-warriors
Subject: Kenney:_Dillon_Brooks_on_play_that_injured_Gary_Payton_
II:_‘If_I_were_to_take_it_back,_I_would’
Date: Mon, 9 May 2022 19:11:51 -0700
 by: Allen - Tue, 10 May 2022 02:11 UTC

Dillon Brooks on play that injured Gary Payton II: ‘If I were to take it
back, I would’
Dillon Brooks talked for the first time since he injured Gary Payton II
on a play that sparked a debate about the NBA's unspoken code.
>MEMPHIS, TENNESSEE – MAY 3: Memphis Grizzlies’ Dillon Brooks (24)
fouls Golden State Warriors’ Gary Payton II (0) in the first quarter of
Game 2 of an NBA basketball second-round Western Conference playoff
series at the FedEx Forum in Memphis, Tenn., on Tuesday, May 3, 2022.
Brooks was ejected after the foul. (Nhat V. Meyer/Bay Area News Group)
>MEMPHIS, TENNESSEE – MAY 3: Memphis Grizzlies’ Dillon Brooks (24)
fouls Golden State Warriors’ Gary Payton II (0) in the first quarter of
Game 2 of an NBA basketball second-round Western Conference playoff
series at the FedEx Forum in Memphis, Tenn., on Tuesday, May 3, 2022.
Brooks was ejected after the foul. (Nhat V. Meyer/Bay Area News Group)
By MADELINE KENNEY | mkenney@bayareanewsgroup.com | Bay Area News Group
PUBLISHED: May 9, 2022 at 2:02 p.m. | UPDATED: May 9, 2022 at 3:07 p.m.
https://www.eastbaytimes.com/2022/05/09/dillon-brooks-on-play-that-injured-gary-payton-ii-if-i-were-to-take-it-back-i-would/

SAN FRANCISCO — Dillon Brooks would like to put the play that injured
Gary Payton II behind him.

“It’s in the past,” he said Monday. “I didn’t mean for it to hurt somebody.”

It’s unlikely, however, the Warriors and their fans will let Brooks
forget the egregious foul he committed against Payton in Game 2 of the
Western Conference semifinals that possibly ended the Warriors guard’s
season.

Brooks talked Monday for the first time since Payton broke his elbow
after a hard foul by the Grizzlies forward that sparked a debate about
the NBA’s unspoken code.

Brooks was ejected after he wound up and hit Payton in the head as the
guard soared through the air early in the first quarter Tuesday night.
The contact caused Payton to crash onto his left arm.

The play had the Warriors fuming both when it occurred and after the
game, with coach Steve Kerr saying Brooks “broke the code” and Stephen
Curry saying the foul was “out of line.” The league suspended Brooks for
Game 3 on Saturday night for making “unnecessary and excessive contact”
in his foul of Payton, who’s out for at least two weeks.

After shootaround Monday, Brooks, 26, defended his actions saying he was
“just trying to make a play on the ball.” He said he “was running full
speed and I jumped and he adjusted” when he hit Payton, who is about
four inches shorter and 35 pounds lighter than the 6-foot-7, 225-pound
Brooks.

Brooks hasn’t spoken to Payton or anyone from the Warriors since the
incident, though he offered remorse for the foul.

“If I were to take it back, I would,” he said. “But it’s in the past.”

Brooks, the 45th overall pick in the 2017 NBA draft out of Oregon, said
he had “no reaction” to Kerr accusing him of breaking “the code” when he
went after Payton from behind while he was already airborne.

“I don’t even know what that means,” Brooks said. “It’s the playoffs.
Every bucket, every basket, every possession, every play counts. So I
didn’t understand that.”

>RELATED ARTICLES
Grizzlies’ Ja Morant out with knee injury against Warriors in Game 4
Steve Kerr enters COVID protocols ahead of Warriors-Grizzlies Game 4
Warriors-Grizzlies live updates: Both Kerr (health & safety
protocols) and Morant (knee) out for Game 4
Grizzlies star Ja Morant’s status for Game 4 vs. Warriors in doubt
Warriors’ Steve Kerr on Kings hiring Mike Brown to be next head
coach: ‘Sacramento made a great choice’

After a reporter explained to Brooks what Kerr meant, the Grizzlies
swingman said: “It’s a fast-paced game, stuff happens. Guys jump up in
the air and guys can contest shots and sometimes the [way a] play is,
you fall down and [Payton tried] to brace his fall with his arm. It’s a
tough play. Like I said before, I would take it back if I could but
can’t do that.”

Brooks is anticipating he’ll be the target of the crowd’s taunts and
boos Monday night when the Grizzlies try to even the best-of-seven
series, which Golden State leads 2-1. That won’t prevent him from
playing his physical style. If anything, he said, the energy from the
home fans will motivate him.

“I like being booed, I like guys against me, it gets me going even
more,” he said. “I already know it’s going to come. So it doesn’t faze
me at all. “

Grizzlies coach Taylor Jenkins offered Brooks some advice on how to
handle the raucous crowd.

“Everything in the past is in the past, focus on tonight. Come out, be a
tone setter for us, play the best DB version basketball,” Jenkins said
he told Brooks. “That’s what we’re gonna need on both ends of the floor.”

--
Madeline Kenney | Warriors reporter