From: ala...@yahoo.com (Allen)
Newsgroups: alt.sports.basketball.nba.gs-warriors
Subject: Rubin:_Mike_Brown’s_‘up-and-down_emotio
nal_day’,_from_new_Kings_coach_to_Warriors’_sur
prise_playoff_winner
Date: Thu, 12 May 2022 13:44:22 -0700
 by: Allen - Thu, 12 May 2022 20:44 UTC

Mike Brown’s ‘up-and-down emotional day’, from new Kings coach to
Warriors’ surprise playoff winner
Warriors assistant Mike Brown coaches playoff game hours after being
named Sacramento Kings head coach
>SAN FRANCISCO, CALIFORNIA – MAY 9: Golden State Warriors assistant
coach Mike Brown coaches from the sideline against the Memphis Grizzlies
in the first quarter of Game 4 of a second-round NBA basketball playoff
series at Chase Center in San Francisco, Calif., on Monday, May 9, 2022.
(Jose Carlos Fajardo/Bay Area News Group)
>SAN FRANCISCO, CALIFORNIA – MAY 9: Golden State Warriors assistant
coach Mike Brown coaches from the sideline against the Memphis Grizzlies
in the first quarter of Game 4 of a second-round NBA basketball playoff
series at Chase Center in San Francisco, Calif., on Monday, May 9, 2022.
(Jose Carlos Fajardo/Bay Area News Group)
By SHAYNA RUBIN | srubin@bayareanewsgroup.com | Bay Area News Group
PUBLISHED: May 10, 2022 at 8:30 a.m. | UPDATED: May 10, 2022 at 8:30 a.m.
https://www.eastbaytimes.com/2022/05/10/mike-brown-named-head-coach-twice-in-one-interesting-day/

SAN FRANCISCO — Mike Brown’s Monday was one for the books.

On the morning of the Warriors’ big Game 4 against Memphis, it was
confirmed that Brown would be the Sacramento Kings’ head coach. He
signed a four-year deal and will move to his new role after the
Warriors’ playoff run.

Two hours before tipoff, Warriors coach Steve Kerr phoned Brown with
some bad news. Kerr had tested positive for COVID-19. Brown, the
Warriors’ assistant coach of six years, would be filling in as head
coach for the playoff game that night.

A grueling, low-scoring game ended in the Warriors’ favor — with a
101-98 win to take a commanding 3-1 series lead heading back to Memphis
in this semifinal series.

“It was an interesting day for me,” Brown said. “Obviously, everybody
knows what’s going on, and going through that process while still trying
to get ready for the game…it was an up-and-down emotional day for me, too.”

Steph Curry joked on his postgame interview with TNT that with Brown
calling the shots, he “felt like we got traded to the Kings overnight.”

With the Warriors’ win, Brown moves to 12-0 in the playoffs as the
Warriors’ interim head coach. Brown also filled in for Kerr during the
2016-17 regular season, when Kerr had to miss time dealing with
complications following back surgery.

Brown is no stranger to the playoff lights or head coaching duties,
either. He will take with him to Sacramento the experience of seven
years as a head coach (six with the Cavaliers, one with the Lakers)
before joining Kerr’s staff as an assistant coach in 2016 after Luke
Walton’s departure. He was named the NBA’s Coach of the Year in 2007
after he guided the Cavaliers to an NBA Finals berth, the first of
LeBron James’ career.

On short notice coaching a playoff game, Brown said he relied heavily on
his fellow assistant coaches and shouted out veterans Andre Iguodala and
Draymond Green for being valuable voices on the sideline. Iguodala has
missed all four games in this series with a neck injury.

“Andre Iguodala doesn’t get enough credit,” Brown said. “I know he’s not
playing, but his voice, his presence, he’s always saying the right
thing. It uplifts all of us. And for me, it uplifted me. I told him, I
told Draymond, I said, ‘I need you guys tonight. I need you guys. I’m
going to lean on you guys.’”

Brown also relied on Kerr’s patterns: He started Johnathan Kuminga, like
Kerr did in Game 3. And like Kerr did, he played Otto Porter Jr. major
minutes in Kuminga’s place alongside the starters, including the start
of the third quarter. He also mirrored Kerr in playing Damion Lee in the
rotation off the bench, a move that raised some eyebrows.

Steph Curry said Monday was a “wild day all around,” and the Warriors’
win took some problem-solving on the fly. This core is used to playoff
bumps in the road.

“He’s coached in the Finals before,” Curry said. “Coached some
high-powered teams, some big market teams. He’s been through it all.
Been with us for these last six years, and he’s been interim coach for a
little bit and made his presence felt, especially defensively leading us
this year.”

>RELATED ARTICLES
The Warriors have problems; here are the solutions
How the Warriors plan to flush their Game 5 blowout loss
Photos: Golden State Warriors sing the Memphis blues during epic loss
to the Grizzlies in Game 5
Kurtenbach: The deeper meaning behind the Warriors’ embarrassing Game
5 loss
Careless mistakes, lack of aggression led to Warriors’ ’embarrassing’
Game 5 loss in Memphis

With the Kings, Brown will succeed former Warriors assistant Alvin
Gentry, who took over for another former Warriors assistant Walton, last
season after Walton was fired following a 6-11 start.

“I don’t even know where to begin,” Kerr said Monday after shootaround
when asked about Brown’s hiring. “What Mike has done for me, for this
organization in his six years here, just an incredible contribution,
he’s an amazing coach, amazing friend. And Sacramento made a great choice.”

Brown’s contributions to the Warriors aren’t over: Barring a pair of
quick negative tests for Kerr, Brown will be in line to coach Golden
State in Wednesday’s potential close-out Game 5 in Memphis.

--
Shayna Rubin | Oakland Athletics reporter