From: ala...@yahoo.com (Allen)
Newsgroups: alt.sports.basketball.nba.gs-warriors
Subject: Kenney: Grizzlies coach doubles down on Jordan Poole comment
Date: Thu, 12 May 2022 14:06:47 -0700
 by: Allen - Thu, 12 May 2022 21:06 UTC

Grizzlies coach doubles down on Jordan Poole comment
Taylor Jenkins said Wednesday that Grizzlies' medical team had told him
Ja Morant's bone bruise likely came on play with Warriors' Jordan Poole
>SAN FRANCISCO, CALIFORNIA – MAY 7: Memphis Grizzlies’ Ja Morant
struggles for the ball between Golden State Warriors’ Jordan Poole and
Andrew Wiggins in the fourth quarter of Game 3 of a second-round NBA
basketball playoff series at Chase Center in San Francisco, Calif., on
Saturday, May 7, 2022. (Karl Mondon/Bay Area News Group)
>SAN FRANCISCO, CALIFORNIA – MAY 7: Memphis Grizzlies’ Ja Morant
struggles for the ball between Golden State Warriors’ Jordan Poole and
Andrew Wiggins in the fourth quarter of Game 3 of a second-round NBA
basketball playoff series at Chase Center in San Francisco, Calif., on
Saturday, May 7, 2022. (Karl Mondon/Bay Area News Group)
By MADELINE KENNEY | mkenney@bayareanewsgroup.com | Bay Area News Group
PUBLISHED: May 11, 2022 at 5:24 p.m. | UPDATED: May 11, 2022 at 5:29 p.m.
https://www.eastbaytimes.com/2022/05/11/grizzlies-coach-doubles-down-on-jordan-poole-comment/

MEMPHIS, Tenn. — Grizzlies coach Taylor Jenkins on Wednesday doubled
down on his post-Game 3 comment during which he insinuated Jordan Poole
intentionally injured Ja Morant, who has since been diagnosed with a
bone bruise.

“That’s what our medical team and Ja said was when the injury was felt
was on that play, so I’m just saying the fact of what our guys have told
us in house,” Jenkins said before Game 5 of the Western Conference
semifinals when asked about whether he regretted targeting Poole.

The Grizzlies announced Tuesday that Morant suffered a bone bruise in
his right knee and is doubtful to return to the playoffs no matter how
much longer his team remains alive. The NBA’s Most Improved Player is
listed as out for the Grizzlies’ must-win Game 5 as the Warriors lead
the Western Conference semifinals 3-1.

Morant purportedly injured his right knee Saturday night, with Jenkins
singling out a play in the fourth quarter of Game 3 when Poole appeared
to grab Morant’s knee during a trap at half-court. After the game,
Jenkins claimed Poole purposely grabbed and “yanked” Morant’s knee,
though Poole said he was just trying to make a “basketball play” and
that he was attempting to reach for the ball.

Several other Grizzlies and Warriors players have come to the defense of
Poole, acknowledging that the result of the play is unfortunate though
Poole’s actions were not malicious or dirty.

Meanwhile, Morant made his feelings about the play clear. After the
game, he tweeted a video of the play with the caption “broke the code,”
a reference to Warriors coach Steve Kerr’s comments in response to
Dillon Brooks’ hard foul on Gary Payton II that caused the Golden State
guard to break his elbow in Game 2. Morant deleted the post shortly
after publishing it.

Jenkins said Grizzlies general manager Zach Kleiman had inquired with
the league office about the play, but the NBA officials cleared Poole of
any wrongdoing.

Acting head coach Mike Brown brushed off the Grizzlies coach’s comments
targeting Poole Wednesday after shootaround.

“Taylor’s probably just protecting his team and doing what any coach
would do for his team or for his players,” Brown said. “I felt bad for
Ja, and I felt bad for JP that his name was getting thrown into the mix
like that.”

Morant, who also missed Game 4 Monday night at Chase Center, has dealt
with injuries to both knees during the regular season. He missed 12
games in late November and early December with a left knee sprain. And
most recently, he sat out nine games from March 20 to April 7 with right
knee soreness.

Jenkins said the current injury is “completely different” than the
previous one.

“Obviously we’re still going to evaluate and see how he progresses in
the short-term right now but everything I hear is non-surgical,” Jenkins
said.

- Warriors honor Bob Lanier

Hall of Fame center Bob Lanier, who had a brief stint as a coach for the
Warriors, died Tuesday following a short illness.

>RELATED ARTICLES
The Warriors have problems; here are the solutions
How the Warriors plan to flush their Game 5 blowout loss
Photos: Golden State Warriors sing the Memphis blues during epic loss
to the Grizzlies in Game 5
Kurtenbach: The deeper meaning behind the Warriors’ embarrassing Game
5 loss
Careless mistakes, lack of aggression led to Warriors’ ’embarrassing’
Game 5 loss in Memphis

Brown took a moment before his pre-game news conference Wednesday
evening to acknowledge the former NBA star’s greatness and offer his
condolences to Lanier’s family and friends.

“He did a lot for the game of basketball, especially at our level,
touched a lot of lives and did a lot to help the game get to where it is
right now,” Brown said.

An eight-time All-Star who went on to work for the league as a global
ambassador, Lanier played 14 seasons with the Detroit Pistons and
Milwaukee Bucks and averaged 20.1 points and 10.1 rebounds for his
career. The No. 1 overall pick in 1970 is third on the Pistons’ career
list in both points and rebounds.

Lanier also served as an assistant coach for the Warriors in 1995. He
later became the acting head coach on an interim basis following Don
Nelson’s resignation. With him at the helm, the Warriors went 12-25.

“We are saddened to learn about the passing of Bob Lanier, one of the
greatest big men in the history of the NBA (and former Warriors coach),”
Golden State tweeted. “A dominant force on the court and gentle giant
off of it, Bob leaves an impactful legacy that stretches far and wide. RIP.”

--
Madeline Kenney | Warriors reporter