From: ala...@yahoo.com (Allen)
Newsgroups: alt.sports.basketball.nba.gs-warriors
Subject: Kenney: Lifeless Warriors embarrassed in blowout Game 5 loss
Date: Thu, 12 May 2022 14:12:43 -0700
 by: Allen - Thu, 12 May 2022 21:12 UTC

Lifeless Warriors embarrassed in blowout Game 5 loss
The Grizzlies embarrassed Golden State Wednesday night with a lopsided
134-95 rout
>MEMPHIS, TENNESSEE – MAY 11: Golden State Warriors’ Stephen Curry (30)
dribbles against the Memphis Grizzlies’ Jaren Jackson Jr. (13) in the
first quarter of Game 5 of a second-round NBA basketball playoff series
at FedEx Forum in Memphis, Tenn., on Wednesday, May 11, 2022. (Karl
Mondon/Bay Area News Group)
>MEMPHIS, TENNESSEE – MAY 11: Golden State Warriors’ Stephen Curry (30)
dribbles against the Memphis Grizzlies’ Jaren Jackson Jr. (13) in the
first quarter of Game 5 of a second-round NBA basketball playoff series
at FedEx Forum in Memphis, Tenn., on Wednesday, May 11, 2022. (Karl
Mondon/Bay Area News Group)
By MADELINE KENNEY | mkenney@bayareanewsgroup.com | Bay Area News Group
PUBLISHED: May 11, 2022 at 9:03 p.m. | UPDATED: May 11, 2022 at 10:23 p.m.
https://www.eastbaytimes.com/2022/05/11/lifeless-warriors-embarrassed-in-blowout-game-5-loss/

MEMPHIS, Tenn. — Draymond Green had a message for his teammates ahead of
Game 5 of the Western Conference semifinals.

“Bring your hard hats,” Green told the team, according to acting head
coach Mike Brown. “It could be ugly.”

He was right — but not in the way he intended.

As Memphis fans waved golden rally towels, the Grizzlies embarrassed
Golden State Wednesday night with a lopsided 134-95 rout.

It was the Warriors’ fifth-worst playoff loss ever and worst defeat
since the Clippers beat them by 40 points in 2014.

“It was awful, it was embarrassing,” Klay Thompson said after the
blowout loss. “From the opening tip, we didn’t have great flow and they
were more aggressive than us… We all had the mindset we were going to
close it out tonight but sometimes basketball is a game of accidents and
we played like a shell of ourselves.”

The Warriors decided to keep the same lineup as the two previous games
with rookie Jonathan Kuminga starting in place of Gary Payton II, who
was injured in Game 2. That starting unit’s struggles with slow starts
lingered into Game 5.

After just over five minutes in the first quarter, Kuminga was subbed
out and Golden State trailed by seven.

The Warriors’ sputtering offense from the last game carried into this
one. But unlike the previous contest, the Ja Morant-less Grizzlies
totally took full advantage.

Memphis dominated the second quarter — and the rest of the game for that
matter. Thompson hit a pair of free throws early in the second to pull
within eight, but that’s the closest the Warriors got to the Grizzlies
after the first quarter.

Memphis closed out the first half on a 20-4 run. Stephen Curry scored
the Warriors’ only four points in the final 5:13 of the second quarter.

The Warriors made some bad decisions with the ball, which resulted in 14
turnovers in the first half. The Grizzlies, who had nine turnovers the
entire game, capitalized on those mistakes, scoring 25 points off the
turnovers.

And it only got worse for the Warriors from there.

The Warriors looked absolutely defeated, allowing the young and athletic
Grizzlies to score all over them. Golden State trailed by as many as 55
in the second half.

The Grizzlies outscored the Warriors 42-17 in the third quarter. That
25-point losing margin is the second-biggest in a single quarter in
franchise playoff history, with the Lakers outscoring Golden State by 26
points in a quarter during a 1987 postseason game.

Three Grizzlies finished with 20 or more points and seven ended with
double-digit scoring. Jaren Jackson Jr. had 21 points and eight
rebounds, Desmond Bane added 21 points and Tyus Jones recorded 21 points
and nine assists.

Golden State totaled 22 turnovers. Memphis also won the battle of
offensive boards, outrebounding the Warriors 18-4 on that end.

“We just have to be more conscious of taking care of the ball,” Brown
said. “We have to — have to settle down on the offensive end of the
floor… because if you have turnovers like we did tonight especially
early on, it kind of snowballs, and it gets them out in trnasition, and
it gives them confidence, and it kind of deflates us a little bit as the
game goes on.”

Thompson led the Warriors in scoring with 19 points, 12 of which came in
the opening quarter. Curry had 14 and four assists. He and Draymond
Green were subbed out for good with more than six minutes left in the
third quarter. Thompson followed shortly after.

Curry said “everything” was disappointing about Wednesday’s performance.

“They came out with a sense of urgency and our game plan in temrs of how
we know we can beat this team and things we can focus on, we did
everything wrong in turnovers, offensive rebounds, fouls and on the
road, you give a team that’s playing with desperation life like that….
you can lose control of the game really quickly.”

>RELATED ARTICLES
The Warriors have problems; here are the solutions
How the Warriors plan to flush their Game 5 blowout loss
Photos: Golden State Warriors sing the Memphis blues during epic loss
to the Grizzlies in Game 5
Kurtenbach: The deeper meaning behind the Warriors’ embarrassing Game
5 loss
Careless mistakes, lack of aggression led to Warriors’ ’embarrassing’
Game 5 loss in Memphis

The Warriors were without coach Steve Kerr for the second straight game
after he tested positive for COVID-19. Brown, who was hired to coach the
Sacraemnto Kings earlier this week, was at helm for the second straight
game. After finding out that he was taking over for Kerr just two hours
before Game 4, Brown, more of a defensive-focused coach, said he spent
the last 24 hours trying to get up to speed with Golden State’s offense.

“I’ve done a lot of homework,” Brown said after shootaround. “I feel
like I’m back at the University of San Diego… cramming for an exam.”

But perhaps that wasn’t enough as the Warriors have experienced
offensive lulls over the last two games with him in charge.

Brown is now 12-1 in the postseason while filling in for Kerr.

The Warriors, who still lead the best-of-seven series 3-2, have two days
to regroup before Game 6 Friday.

--
Madeline Kenney | Warriors reporter