From: ala...@yahoo.com (Allen)
Newsgroups: alt.sports.basketball.nba.gs-warriors
Subject: Jannelle Moore on the Warriors: How to fix it for Game 6
Date: Thu, 12 May 2022 14:26:38 -0700
 by: Allen - Thu, 12 May 2022 21:26 UTC

Jannelle Moore on the Warriors: How to fix it for Game 6
What went wrong for the Warriors in Game 5 against the Memphis Grizzlies
— and how to fix it for Game 6
>SAN FRANCISCO, CALIFORNIA – MAY 9: Golden State Warriors assistant
coach Mike Brown coaches from the sideline against the Memphis Grizzlies
in the first quarter of Game 4 of a second-round NBA basketball playoff
series at Chase Center in San Francisco, Calif., on Monday, May 9, 2022.
(Jose Carlos Fajardo/Bay Area News Group)
>SAN FRANCISCO, CALIFORNIA – MAY 9: Golden State Warriors assistant
coach Mike Brown coaches from the sideline against the Memphis Grizzlies
in the first quarter of Game 4 of a second-round NBA basketball playoff
series at Chase Center in San Francisco, Calif., on Monday, May 9, 2022.
(Jose Carlos Fajardo/Bay Area News Group)
By JANNELLE MOORE |
PUBLISHED: May 12, 2022 at 11:29 a.m. | UPDATED: May 12, 2022 at 12:12 p.m.
https://www.eastbaytimes.com/2022/05/12/jannelle-moore-on-the-warriors-how-to-fix-it-for-game-6/

Still riding high from the Game 4 comeback, Stephen Curry was so
confident that the Warriors would come into FedEx Forum and end the
series that he’d said the game plan was to “Whoop That Trick,” flipping
a Memphis Grizzlies post-win tradition to talk trash.

As it turned out, the Warriors got whooped 134-95, forcing a Game 6 on
Friday night at Chase Center.

Here is what went wrong for the Dubs in Game 5 and how they can fix to
end the series in six.

Problem: Turnovers

It’s not unusual for Golden State to have more turnovers than a bakery.
Again, this is an offense that emphasizes ball movement and high assist
numbers. With those 20 to 30-plus assists, there comes a high turnover
rate. Still, the turnovers that are plaguing the Warriors in the series
have been egregious. They are also becoming more expensive. In Game 5,
the Warriors committed 22 turnovers, resulting in 29 Memphis points.

--
Jason Dumas
@JDumasReports

Following three GSW possessions:
Draymond Green TO into a Tyus Jones 3
Kevon Looney TO into a De'Anthony Melton layup
Green TO into a Steven Adams layup +foul

That 1 min swing was the game.
[video]

8:33 PM · May 11, 2022
1K Reply Share
--

Three consecutive turnovers. Three empty possessions converted into
seven points within a minute. It is rare for Draymond Green to let the

Although turnovers are a team-wide problem, Green has been the main
culprit. He has turned the ball over 20 times in the five games.

Solution: Off-Ball Green?

If Green continues to turn over the ball at this rate, it wouldn’t be a
bad idea if Curry or Jordan Poole have facilitating possessions. They
are the only Warriors that can create their own shot and can facilitate
for others. Curry, for instance, can draw multiple defenders and create
opportunities for others to score.

>RELATED ARTICLES
How the Warriors plan to flush their Game 5 blowout loss
Photos: Golden State Warriors sing the Memphis blues during epic loss
to the Grizzlies in Game 5
Kurtenbach: The deeper meaning behind the Warriors’ embarrassing Game
5 loss
Careless mistakes, lack of aggression led to Warriors’ ’embarrassing’
Game 5 loss in Memphis
Lifeless Warriors embarrassed in blowout Game 5 loss

An off-ball Green would be more effective as the roll man in
pick-and-roll situations. However, the drawback of taking the ball out
of Green’s hands is that he becomes even more limited offensively if
they don’t include him in PNR action as the roller.

Solution: Slow Down

A big reason for the Warriors’ turnovers is they are allowing themselves
to be rushed; Green acknowledged this in the postgame.

I understand the need to quicken the pace, and the need to advance the
ball before the defense is set. But the Warriors need to play at their
pace and take their time to make the right reads. As the team with more
experience, the Warriors shouldn’t let Memphis’ athleticism bother them
to the point where they are making careless turnovers.

Problem: Size

In the first four games, the Warriors outrebounded the Grizzlies despite
being smaller and also scored more points in the paint. Memphis
inserting Steven Adams into the starting lineup helped tilt those stats.
In Game 5, Adams and the Grizzlies grabbed 30 rebounds in the first
quarter alone. The Grizzlies also grabbed 13 offensive boards to the
Warriors’ two. For the game, Memphis outrebounded Golden State 55-37 and
scored 50 points in the paint.

Solution: Isolation For Negation

The Warriors are an undersized team that plays better when they are
“small” and that’s just their reality. But they can negate that with
speed on offense.

Mike Brown, coaching in place of Steve Kerr, should dial up more high
screen-and-roll action for Curry and Poole. There is no one on the
Grizzlies that can consistently defend them on ball. The Warriors should
draw Adams from the paint, and make him defend in space. The Warriors
should hunt Adams every chance they get and eventually play him off the
floor.

Problem: Lineup Error

Jonathan Kuminga was in the starting lineup for the third time
Wednesday, but now he should not be. In the first five minutes of Game
5, Kuminga shot 1 for 3 from the field and the Grizzlies’ Jarren Jackson
Jr scored 10 points on him.

Offensively, Kuminga and Green were liabilities. The Warriors are at a
disadvantage offensively with them on the floor together. Kuminga has
shown flashes of potential. However, this is the playoffs, and potential
means only that you’re not doing much now. While Kuminga isn’t ready for
a larger role, it was still a hands-on learning experience that will
serve him well down the line.

Solution: Starting the lineup with no nickname

Since Kuminga is unplayable in long stretches and the status of Otto
Porter for Game 6 is uncertain, the Warriors will start either Kevon
Looney or Poole. If the Warriors want to close out the series, starting
the three-guard lineup with Curry, Poole, and Klay Thompson is the way
to go.

While Memphis will have the advantage in size, the Warriors can negate
that with their speed and force the Grizzlies to run and defend in
transition.

The Warriors only had four fast-break points in Game 5. After a Memphis
basket, there were no attempts to throw outlet passes before the
Grizzlies set up their half-court defense. It is hard to attack a
half-court defense, but the three-guard lineup is more equipped to run
in transition. Plus, this lineup is harder to guard. With two shot
creators on the floor in Curry and Poole, a shooter in Thompson, and an
engaged Andrew Wiggins, the Warriors aren’t at a three-on-five
disadvantage on every offensive possession.

Problem: Forcing The System

Kerr is off the bench, but his stubbornness is being carried on by
Brown. In Game 5, Brown didn’t bother to counter the Grizzlies’
adjustments. With Adams in the lineup, Memphis has two rim-protectors on
the floor. The other three Grizzlies are defending the arc, which leaves
the mid-range open.

Still, the Warriors would rather run the motion offense and pass the
ball five times in a possession without anything to show for it but
missed shots and turnovers.

Solution: Isolation For Exploitation

The Grizzlies at times, switch on defense. In those switches, there are
mismatches. In addition to making Adams defend in space, the Warriors’
three-guard lineup can exploit those mismatches, because not many
Grizzlies can guard Curry and Poole on the ball.

Curry and Poole should use their speed and hunt and target defenders
such as Brandon Clarke and Kyle Anderson. Get them on an island and make
them defend in space. The Warriors should make a point to get those
types of mismatches for Curry and Poole and let them attack.

--
Jannelle Moore | Guest Analyst