From: ala...@yahoo.com (Allen)
Newsgroups: alt.sports.basketball.nba.gs-warriors
Subject: Rubin:_Warriors_feel_Steve_Kerr’s_absence_on_th
e_sideline_vs._Grizzlies
Date: Tue, 17 May 2022 17:40:33 -0700
 by: Allen - Wed, 18 May 2022 00:40 UTC

Sorry for the delay in posting. I had some subscription issues. -AL

Warriors feel Steve Kerr’s absence on the sideline vs. Grizzlies
Golden State Warriors miss Steve Kerr's leadership as he recovers from
COVID-19
>SAN FRANCISCO, CALIFORNIA – MAY 7: Golden State Warriors head coach
Steve Kerr speaks to an NBA referee while playing the Memphis Grizzlies
in the first quarter of Game 3 of a second-round NBA basketball playoff
series at Chase Center in San Francisco, Calif., on Saturday, May 7,
2022. (Jose Carlos Fajardo/Bay Area News Group)
>SAN FRANCISCO, CALIFORNIA – MAY 7: Golden State Warriors head coach
Steve Kerr speaks to an NBA referee while playing the Memphis Grizzlies
in the first quarter of Game 3 of a second-round NBA basketball playoff
series at Chase Center in San Francisco, Calif., on Saturday, May 7,
2022. (Jose Carlos Fajardo/Bay Area News Group)
By SHAYNA RUBIN | srubin@bayareanewsgroup.com | Bay Area News Group
PUBLISHED: May 13, 2022 at 1:53 p.m. | UPDATED: May 13, 2022 at 4:34 p.m.
https://www.eastbaytimes.com/2022/05/13/during-warriors-recent-struggles-steve-kerrs-absence-from-the-sideline-is-felt/

SAN FRANCISCO — Acting head coach Mike Brown looked directly into the
cameras and offered Steve Kerr a plea after the Warriors’ win Monday in
Game 4 of the Western Conference semifinals.

“Steve, if you’re watching, get healthy quick,” he said with a smile.

For six years Brown has been by Kerr’s side as an assistant coach, so
jumping into his shoes when the Warriors head coach tested positive for
COVID-19 hours before tipoff last Monday wasn’t a huge leap.

But Kerr’s absence has been felt. The Warriors have played sloppy while
he’s been away and outright embarrassed themselves in a Game 5
opportunity to clinch this series against the Memphis Grizzlies.

“It’s definitely different,” Kevon Looney said after shootaround on
Friday, hours before Game 6 at Chase Center. “But, you know, he’s done a
great job of establishing the culture and the game plan. Mike Brown and
the rest of the coaching staff is an extension of him. We miss him, but
it still feels like he’s here.”

Though Kerr’s absence doesn’t leave anyone on the Warriors’ coaching
staff unprepared — they’re all on the same page — his leadership and
decision-making have been a major missing piece as the Warriors navigate
new challenges in this series.

Brown also has plenty of experience jumping into the playoff coaching
seat. He went 11-0 filling in as head coach during the 2017 playoffs
when Kerr dealt with complications following back surgery. But things
are different this time, Brown says. During shootaround and practices as
a defensive coordinator, Brown is usually not involved in the offense
portion of practice.

“Prior to this year, I did both. I helped with the defense and offense,
so I floated,” Brown said. “So I had a better feel for what we were
doing offensively. These last two games I’ve learned a lot of what we’re
really trying to focus on offensively. That’s the biggest thing, having
a crash course on that side of the floor.”

Kerr, quarantined at home, is still digitally very involved in the
coaching decisions and support. He participates in coaches’ meetings on
videoconference and texts players individually. Brown says he and Kerr
talk three times a day.

Looney added that playoff veterans Steph Curry and Draymond Green have
been imperative in keeping some of the younger players new to the
postseason pressures mentally and technically prepared. Brown said after
Game 4 that Andre Iguodala, a Finals MVP who has missed the entire
series with a neck injury, has provided invaluable coaching voice from
the sideline.

“We have a lot of coaches and a great staff,” Looney said. “We know what
it takes to win so we just have to go out there and execute.”

Kerr may be able to return to coach Monday for a potential Game 7 if
testing data shows he is not contagious.

“He’s not in danger or anything, he doesn’t feel 100 percent great,”
general manager Bob Myers said on 95.7 The Game on Tuesday. “He’s fine,
like a lot of people. I think it’s a lot safer to get it now with all
the vaccinations, but hopefully we get him back soon.”

>RELATED ARTICLES
Warriors have huge experience advantage over Mavs. Does that matter?
Kurtenbach: The Warriors’ solution to their biggest problem? Ignore it
How the Warriors should guard Luka Doncic
Kurtenbach: How COVID could determine the NBA title
Warriors-Mavericks playoff matchup brings back “We Believe” memories

Kerr’s leadership could help with the Warriors’ latest challenge — game
planning for a Memphis team without Ja Morant. On his podcast after Game
5, Green said they have to start from scratch on a game plan because
Memphis plays a completely different style without their superstar guard
as the primary focus.

With Steven Adams seeing more minutes, Memphis is clogging the paint and
giving Golden State’s offense fits by sharing the ball to consistent
scorers like Desmond Bane. Mitigating turnovers and collecting offensive
rebounds like they have in previous games this series should also limit
the Grizzlies’ strong transition offense.

Late in this series, the Warriors have to make a few adjustments without
Kerr to lean on.

--
Shayna Rubin | Oakland Athletics reporter