From: ala...@yahoo.com (Allen)
Newsgroups: alt.sports.basketball.nba.gs-warriors
Subject: Simon: Who should the Warriors (and their fans) be rooting for
Sunday: Suns or Mavs?
Date: Tue, 17 May 2022 17:54:14 -0700
 by: Allen - Wed, 18 May 2022 00:54 UTC

Who should the Warriors (and their fans) be rooting for Sunday: Suns or
Mavs?
Phoenix and Dallas will duel in the desert for Game 7 on Sunday night,
with the Golden State Warriors facing the winner
>SAN FRANCISCO, CALIFORNIA – MAY 13: Golden State Warriors’ Stephen
Curry (30) gestures 3-points after teammate Klay Thompson (11) scores a
3-point basket in the fourth quarter of Game 6 of a second-round NBA
basketball playoff series at Chase Center in San Francisco, Calif., on
Friday, May 13, 2022. The Golden State Warriors defeated the Memphis
Grizzlies 110-96. (Jose Carlos Fajardo/Bay Area News Group)
>SAN FRANCISCO, CALIFORNIA – MAY 13: Golden State Warriors’ Stephen
Curry (30) gestures 3-points after teammate Klay Thompson (11) scores a
3-point basket in the fourth quarter of Game 6 of a second-round NBA
basketball playoff series at Chase Center in San Francisco, Calif., on
Friday, May 13, 2022. The Golden State Warriors defeated the Memphis
Grizzlies 110-96. (Jose Carlos Fajardo/Bay Area News Group)
By ALEX SIMON | asimon@bayareanewsgroup.com | Bay Area News Group
PUBLISHED: May 15, 2022 at 7:15 a.m. | UPDATED: May 15, 2022 at 7:15 a.m.
https://www.eastbaytimes.com/2022/05/15/who-should-the-warriors-and-their-fans-be-rooting-for-sunday-suns-or-mavs/

The Warriors already know they are in the Western Conference Finals.
They’ll have to wait until Sunday evening to find out who they’re facing.

The Suns, the NBA’s best team in the regular season, will host Game 7
against the Mavericks in downtown Phoenix at 5 p.m. on Sunday.

Should the Mavericks win, the Warriors would host Game 1 on Wednesday
night. A win by the Suns would have Golden State traveling to Phoenix
for a Wednesday night series-opener instead.

Is that reason enough for the Warriors and their fans to root for Dallas
over Phoenix, especially with MVP finalist Devin Booker in purple and
orange? Or is Luka Doncic’s singular ability to take over a game scary
enough to want to face Phoenix instead?

Let’s look at the reasons to root for each potential opponent to win Sunday:

- Why the Dubs should want to face Dallas

Home court advantage has been something valuable for the Warriors for
years, going back to Oakland’s then-Oracle Arena. And while they’re in
their new digs at Chase Center in San Francisco, they’ve continued their
reign of terror on their home floor, winning all six home games this
playoff run.

The Mavericks are not all that deep of a team, primarily sticking to an
eight-man rotation during the playoffs. That’s the same amount of
players the Warriors played on Friday night, though Golden State has
lost some members of its rotation during the playoffs.

Dallas is also a relatively small team, especially compared to Phoenix.
Of the eight players they typically use, the tallest are just 6-foot-10
(Dwight Powell, Maxi Kleber and Davis Bertans) and the next after that
is Doncic at 6-foot-7.

Compare that to Phoenix, which has both DeAndre Ayton (6-foot-11) and
Javale McGee (7-foot) and it’s clear where Golden State’s size issues
won’t be felt as hard. Plus, Booker has looked solid all series long. So
surely, it has to be Dallas.

- Why Golden State should want to face Phoenix

While Booker has impressed, Chris Paul, a longtime foil to Steph Curry,
has not. Paul has struggled since Game 3 for Phoenix, not finding the
same level of aggressiveness with his shot or the type of distribution
he’s been known for.

>RELATED ARTICLES
Warriors have huge experience advantage over Mavs. Does that matter?
Kurtenbach: The Warriors’ solution to their biggest problem? Ignore it
How the Warriors should guard Luka Doncic
Kurtenbach: How COVID could determine the NBA title
Warriors-Mavericks playoff matchup brings back “We Believe” memories

And while Phoenix has won once this series while Paul has underperformed
and several times in the regular season when he didn’t play at all, the
three losses to Dallas have shown how badly the Suns needs Paul playing
well to reach their full potential.

Additionally, the Suns have looked like the Warriors when it comes to
turnovers, averaging 15.5 per game in the series against Dallas. And
they haven’t been forcing as many, with Dallas only averaging 10.5
turnovers a game. Perhaps facing Phoenix would help the Warriors not
turn it over as much – and make the turnover margin look slimmer.

It’s easy to see how Golden State’s switching defense may be better
suited to Phoenix’s more versatile, ball-moving attack than against
Dallas and Doncic, who will operate heavily out of hunting pick-and-roll
matchups.

- Our staff’s verdict: Dallas

Opinions were split when asking around our staff, with a few saying
Phoenix based on familiarity with Paul — and a chance to capitalize on
his poor play.

But the home court advantage and the lack of a size mismatch makes
Dallas the better choice for the Warriors, even if facing Doncic might
be a terrifying prospect.

--
Alex Simon