From: ala...@yahoo.com (Allen)
Newsgroups: alt.sports.basketball.nba.gs-warriors
Subject: Kenney: Western Conference finals preview: A quick look at the
Warriors-Mavericks matchup
Date: Tue, 17 May 2022 18:05:56 -0700
 by: Allen - Wed, 18 May 2022 01:05 UTC

Western Conference finals preview: A quick look at the
Warriors-Mavericks matchup
Here’s what to know about how the Warriors may match up with Dallas.
>Dallas Mavericks guard Luka Doncic (77) shoots the ball as the
Warriors’ Andrew Wiggins (22) defends in the first half at American
Airlines Center on March 3, 2022, in Dallas, (Ron Jenkins/Getty Images)
>Dallas Mavericks guard Luka Doncic (77) shoots the ball as the
Warriors’ Andrew Wiggins (22) defends in the first half at American
Airlines Center on March 3, 2022, in Dallas, (Ron Jenkins/Getty Images)
By MADELINE KENNEY | mkenney@bayareanewsgroup.com | Bay Area News Group
PUBLISHED: May 15, 2022 at 7:11 p.m. | UPDATED: May 16, 2022 at 7:40 a.m.
https://www.eastbaytimes.com/2022/05/15/western-conference-finals-preview-a-quick-look-at-the-warriors-mavericks-matchup/

SAN FRANCISCO — The Dallas Mavericks’ dominant performance in Game 7 of
the Western Conference semifinals Sunday against the Phoenix Suns was a
look at what’s to come for the Warriors.

The Mavericks, behind superstar Luka Doncic, sent the Suns packing for
their end-of-season vacations much sooner than anticipated with a
blowout victory. Dallas kept Phoenix to just 27 points and outscored its
opponent by 30 at the half en route to the Mavericks’ series-clinching
victory over the league’s best team during the regular season.

The Warriors must take Sunday’s rout as a warning after they advanced to
their first Western Conference finals in three years following a rocky
series against the young and athletic Grizzlies that was defined by
up-and-down performances and drama that spilled into post-game press
conferences.

Led by Stephen Curry, Draymond Green and Klay Thompson, the Warriors
have far more experience at this stage than the Mavericks, who are
making their first conference finals appearance in a decade. But Dallas
got a major confidence boost after obliterating the Suns Sunday.

“This is what the playoffs are about, every opponent at this stage is
going to pose a huge threat because only the best teams are left… so
it’s all about figuring it out,” Warriors coach Steve Kerr said prior to
Game 7 on Sunday. “And I thought our team and our staff did a really
good job kind of over the course of games 4, 5 and 6 of making that
adjustment to the way the series had shifted and kind of finding a way
to get through.”

Here’s what to know about how the Warriors may match up with Dallas:

- Season series: Mavericks won 3-1

Does the regular season record really matter? The Warriors have already
proven twice this postseason that it doesn’t, considering the Nuggets
and Grizzlies, whom Golden State beat in the first and second rounds,
also posted a 3-1 record against them this season.

At any rate, the Mavericks had the edge during the regular season,
winning the last two contests by a combined 15 points. But the Warriors
spanked Dallas in their second meeting in late January to the tune of
130-92.

- Key matchup: Luka Doncic vs. Andrew Wiggins

At 23, Doncic has emerged as one of the youngest and brightest talents
in the league. He earned his third All-Star nod this season and has
stepped up his game in the postseason.

Doncic took over the series against the Suns and led Dallas to its first
Western Conference finals appearance since 2011 when the Mavericks went
on to win it all. Entering Sunday’s game, Doncic averaged 31.1 points,
10.1 rebounds and 6.9 assists in nine postseason games.

The Warriors were able to slow Nikola Jokic in the first round to
advance, but Doncic might be their toughest defensive assignment yet.
And it’ll likely be Andrew Wiggins who will take the majority of that
burden.

Coming off his best performance of this postseason, Wiggins has shown a
more consistent sense of urgency on defense during the playoffs. And
Mike Brown, who was the Warriors acting head coach when Kerr was out
with COVID-19, previously praised Wiggins for locking in on the
defensive end.

“This morning during shootaround, I knew he’d have a big game because we
changed our pick & roll coverage. And when we made the change, Wiggins
asked, ‘Coach, do you want me to pick up Tyus Jones full-court?’” Brown
said after Friday’s win. “I said, ‘Wiggs, you want to do that for 48
minutes?’ He said, ‘I’m locked in. I’ll do it for 48 minutes, you just
tell me.’”

The Warriors will need more of that from Wiggins in this series.

- Quick question: Are reinforcements coming for the Warriors?

The Mavericks aren’t as deep of a team, with coach Jason Kidd primarily
sticking to an eight-man rotation, but the Warriors are shorthanded as
they dealt with another round of injuries to key players.

>RELATED ARTICLES
Warriors have huge experience advantage over Mavs. Does that matter?
Kurtenbach: The Warriors’ solution to their biggest problem? Ignore it
How the Warriors should guard Luka Doncic
Kurtenbach: How COVID could determine the NBA title
Warriors-Mavericks playoff matchup brings back “We Believe” memories

Golden State had to close out the last series against the Grizzlies
without three key role players — Otto Porter Jr., Gary Payton II and
Andre Iguodala — and it remains unclear as to whether any or all of them
will make a return in the Western Conference finals.

Porter seems to be the most likely candidate to be cleared to play after
soreness in his right foot sidelined him for the last game in a half.
Kerr said Sunday that he’s “hopeful” Porter will be available for Game 1
on Wednesday.

Meanwhile, the status of Payton (right elbow fracture) and Iguodala
(neck injury) remain big question marks.

Kerr hinted Payton could potentially make a return at the end of this
series, though he called it a “long shot.” Payton and Iguodala are
expected to be re-evaluated Thursday, the day between Game 1 and 2.

- Home-court advantage: Not only will the Warriors be well-rested after
having four days between their series-clinching win Sunday and Game 1 of
the Western Conference finals, but they’ll also be opening this series
at Chase Center in front of their home crowd.

Golden State went 31-10 this season at home and has yet to lose a
playoff game at Chase Center, boasting a pristine 6-0 record through the
first two rounds.

- Way-too-early prediction: Warriors in six.

- Here’s a look at the schedule:

Game 1 at Chase Center: Wednesday, May 18 – 6 p.m. (TNT)

Game 2 at Chase Center: Friday, May 20 – 6 p.m. (TNT)

Game 3 in Dallas: Sunday, May 22 – 6 p.m. (TNT)

Game 4 in Dallas: Tuesday, May 24 – 6 p.m. (TNT)

Game 5 at Chase Center: Thursday, May 26 – 6 p.m. (TNT)*

Game 6 in Dallas: Saturday, May 28 – 6 p.m. (TNT)*

Game 7 at Chase Center: Monday, May 30 – 6 p.m. (TNT)*

*if necessary