From: ala...@yahoo.com (Allen)
Newsgroups: alt.sports.basketball.nba.gs-warriors
Subject: Rubin: The latest on Andre Iguodala, Gary Payton II injuries; Plus
lineups for Game 2
Date: Sat, 21 May 2022 19:04:09 -0700
 by: Allen - Sun, 22 May 2022 02:04 UTC

The latest on Andre Iguodala, Gary Payton II injuries; Plus lineups for
Game 2
Warriors' Andre Iguodala's return still unclear, Gary Payton II will
miss another week, at least
>SAN FRANCISCO, CALIFORNIA – APRIL 27: Golden State Warriors’ Andre
Iguodala (9) talks with Golden State Warriors’ Jordan Poole (3) during a
time-out against the Denver Nuggets in the second quarter of Game 5 of
the team’s NBA basketball first-round playoff series at the Chase Center
in San Francisco, Calif., on Wednesday, April 27, 2022. (Nhat V.
Meyer/Bay Area News Group)
>SAN FRANCISCO, CALIFORNIA – APRIL 27: Golden State Warriors’ Andre
Iguodala (9) talks with Golden State Warriors’ Jordan Poole (3) during a
time-out against the Denver Nuggets in the second quarter of Game 5 of
the team’s NBA basketball first-round playoff series at the Chase Center
in San Francisco, Calif., on Wednesday, April 27, 2022. (Nhat V.
Meyer/Bay Area News Group)
By SHAYNA RUBIN | srubin@bayareanewsgroup.com | Bay Area News Group
PUBLISHED: May 20, 2022 at 5:04 p.m. | UPDATED: May 20, 2022 at 5:43 p.m.
https://www.eastbaytimes.com/2022/05/20/the-latest-on-andre-iguodala-gary-payton-ii-injuries/

SAN FRANCISCO — Andre Iguodala’s return will be determined once he is
cleared for practice, the Warriors said in a statement. When that will
be is still unclear.

Gary Payton II, who fractured his left elbow in Game 2 of the semifinals
against Memphis, will miss at least another week, which would not rule
him out for a Game 6 and Game 6 return.

Coach Steve Kerr said a Payton return for the Western Conference finals
would be “a longshot” but did not rule it out. Payton has been doing
individual on-court work.

Iguodala has missed the last nine playoff games with a disc injury in
his neck and his return for these playoffs is “up in the air,” Kerr said
on Thursday. “I don’t have expectations either way.”

The Warriors say Iguodala, 38, is doing physical therapy and work in the
training room along with some individual on-court work, but he hasn’t
been practicing with the team.

Iguodala’s return to the Western Conference finals would be a huge for a
Warriors team looking for ways to defend Luka Dončić. Iguodala’s IQ and
quick hands have made him one of the NBA’s strongest defenders.

>RELATED ARTICLES
Despite ‘questionable’ status, Kerr says he expects Andrew Wiggins to
play in Game 3
Looney’s career night comes when Warriors need it most
Jordan Poole could be the Warriors’ kryptonite for the Mavericks’
defensive scheme
Kurtenbach: Steve Kerr has been the Warriors’ X-factor this postseason
Photos: Warriors vs. Mavericks, Western Conference Finals Game 2

The Warriors signed him to a one-year deal in the offseason with an
opportunity to potentially end his career with the franchise, where he
won three titles and a Finals MVP in 2015 for his work guarding LeBron
James.

Iguodala was limited to 31 regular season games as he dealt with
injuries throughout the year. But he’s been invaluable as an assistant
coach, of sorts, while injured. While working as an acting head coach
during Kerr’s time out with Covid, assistant coach Mike Brown said
Iguodala was essential in coaching some of the younger players in their
series win against the Memphis Grizzlies.

Iguodala has been a mentor to players such as Jonathan Kuminga and Moses
Moody, providing advice and coaching during games and in the locker rom.

“He’s actually guarded all these guys that we’re going to face and as a
coach, we can draw something on the board and say, ‘Hey, this is going
to be our scheme.’ Andre can go directly to our guys and say, ‘When I
guarded (Luka) Dončić, when I guarded (Jalen) Brunson, this is their
tendency, this is what I think could help you,’” Kerr said. “That kind
of hands-on advice, player-to-player is really important.”

The Warriors and Mavericks will roll with the same lineups in Game 2
that each team used for Game 1. Golden State opts for size, starting
Kevon Looney at center.

The Warriors will start:

Steph Curry

Klay Thompson

Andrew Wiggins

Draymond Green

Kevon Looney

The Mavericks will start:

Luka Dončić

Jalen Brunson

Reggie Bullock

Dorian Finney-Smith

Dwight Powell

--
Shayna Rubin | Oakland Athletics reporter

sport / alt.sports.basketball.nba.gs-warriors / Rubin: The latest on Andre Iguodala, Gary Payton II injuries; Plus lineups for Game 2