From: ala...@yahoo.com (Allen)
Newsgroups: alt.sports.basketball.nba.gs-warriors
Subject: Rubin:_One_statistic_shows_how_the_Warriors’_de
fense_dominated_Boston_in_Game_2
Date: Mon, 6 Jun 2022 18:58:06 -0700
 by: Allen - Tue, 7 Jun 2022 01:58 UTC

One statistic shows how the Warriors’ defense dominated Boston in Game 2
NBA Finals: Warriors forced Celtics into 19 turnovers Sunday night to
even series
>SAN FRANCISCO, CALIFORNIA – JUNE 5: Golden State Warriors’ Andrew
Wiggins (22) defends against Boston Celtics’ Jayson Tatum (0) in the
third quarter of Game 2 of the NBA Finals at the Chase Center in San
Francisco, Calif., on Sunday, June 5, 2022. (Nhat V. Meyer/Bay Area News
Group)
>SAN FRANCISCO, CALIFORNIA – JUNE 5: Golden State Warriors’ Andrew
Wiggins (22) defends against Boston Celtics’ Jayson Tatum (0) in the
third quarter of Game 2 of the NBA Finals at the Chase Center in San
Francisco, Calif., on Sunday, June 5, 2022. (Nhat V. Meyer/Bay Area News
Group)
By SHAYNA RUBIN | srubin@bayareanewsgroup.com | Bay Area News Group
PUBLISHED: June 6, 2022 at 9:45 a.m. | UPDATED: June 6, 2022 at 10:05 a.m.
https://www.eastbaytimes.com/2022/06/06/one-statistic-shows-how-the-warriors-defense-dominated-boston-in-game-2/

SAN FRANCISCO — Gary Payton II’s return to reach his first NBA Finals
inspired the Chase Center crowd to a loud ovation Sunday night, and his
defensive performance reminded everyone what they’d been missing.

Recovery from his fractured elbow kept Payton out of the Warriors’
lineup since Game 2 of the Western Conference semifinals, but he
delivered a defensive clinic in the 25 minutes he played upon his return
in a 107-88 win over the Celtics that evened the series 1-1.

His efforts won’t show on the stat sheet, but his impact — working
alongside a coordinated and intense Warriors defense — shows on the
Celtics’ side of the box score. Boston turned the ball over 19 times,
and the Warriors capitalized for 33 points off those turnovers.

“I think turnovers are often a byproduct of physicality and intensity,”
coach Steve Kerr said. “I thought we brought that from the start.
Draymond had plenty to do with that, so did Gary, so did Wiggs. I
thought our whole team was physical and intense, and you know, we did a
good job of trying to make things difficult for them.”

The Warriors had 15 steals on Sunday. Kevon Looney, Steph Curry and Otto
Porter Jr. each had three. Their ability to close passing lanes and pick
up bad passes came from strong point-of-attack defense primarily from
Payton, Draymond Green and Andrew Wiggins — who was guarding Jayson Tatum.

Tatum’s bad scoring night in Boston’s Game 1 comeback win was
counteracted by his NBA Finals-record 13 assists to open shooters that
burned Golden State. On Sunday, those assists were forced into
turnovers: Tatum had four giveaways of his own. Guard Marcus Smart had
five and Derrick White had three.

Jaylen Brown, with Green as his primary defender in a tweak for the
Warriors, had two.

“I think everybody played with more force. It wasn’t just me on Jaylen
Brown,” Green said. “It was across the board. If I just pick up my force
and no one else does, it doesn’t work. It’s a total team effort, guys
being ready to help when help is needed and guys taking on the challenge
at the point of attack.

Yes, I wanted to come out and be more aggressive on that side, and I
think I did a good job of that. But that’s a full team effort. It
doesn’t just work because of one guy.”

>RELATED ARTICLES
Kurtenbach: Kevon Looney — the perfect role player — has proven
indispensable in the Warriors’ title push
Warriors notes: Another assistant coach up for NBA head coaching gig
‘Heartbroken’ Michael B. Jordan seen at Warriors game after Lori
Harvey split
Kurtenbach: Brown’s NBA Finals rookie mistake gives Draymond and the
Warriors the upper hand
Warriors' Jordan Poole beat Steph Curry to half-court hijinks

Turnovers were the Celtics’ bugaboo heading into the Finals. The Miami
Heat pushed them to seven games, in part, for their ability to challenge
Tatum’s handle and disrupt their passing lanes. Miami forced an average
of 15 turnovers per game by Boston in that series.

The Celtics average 16 turnovers in their losses and Tatum has averaged
four turnovers per game in these playoffs heading into Game 2. He had
just two in Game 1.

“For us, that was a little disappointing, to give up 33 points off of 19
turnovers,” Celtics coach Ime Udoka said. “That’s kind of been a
constant theme in the playoffs. When that happens, we’re in trouble.”

--
Shayna Rubin | Oakland Athletics reporter